Author Topic: Should I ask my friend to pay for this trip?  (Read 4247 times)

g3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I ask my friend to pay for this trip?
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »
I am dealing with an internal struggle and looking to this fantastic group for some advice!  This week, my friend invited my girlfriend and I on a spontaneous weekend trip, just the three of us.  We agreed, and offered to find the hotel, since we take the Mustachian route of searching all available options for the best value hotel.  $210 total for two nights - a pretty good deal for where we're going.

Come to the day before the trip, actually, minutes after the hotel became non-refundable, and he texted us saying he has gotten sick and won't be able to make it.  We've been texting back and forth and at this point, he has not offered to pay for his 1/3 of the hotel price.  My initial reaction if I bailed on a trip, and my friend said "bummer!  we still have to go because the hotel is non-refundable", would be to pay the portion of the hotel that I committed to.  I think for him, who is a great friend but is less money conscious, the money probably didn't even cross his mind.

So I ask you guys, should I force the potentially uncomfortable conversation of asking for the $70?  We are both financially stable, where a $70 hit won't break the bank, so I think the debate is on principle.  Should I ask him to pay because he agreed to booking the hotel?  Should I let it go and not risk straining the relationship for a small financial sum?

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Re: Should I ask my friend to pay for this trip?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
While he should own up to it, I think you might risk damaging the friendship by asking him. Is it worth $70?

Personally I would just cut my losses and make him put the money down on future trips.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »
Need some information. All one room?

If separate rooms, then ask him to pay up. Same room and you were going to share, then leave it alone. In the future, just book separately after agreeing to a place/date.

cawiau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »

Personally I would just cut my losses and make him put the money down on future trips.

I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Are you willing to lose a friend over $70? Just chuck it up to a costly lesson and make him pay you in advance for future trips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

Are you willing to lose a friend over $70? Just chuck it up to a costly lesson and make him pay you in advance for future trips!

This is what I would do.

g3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
While he should own up to it, I think you might risk damaging the friendship by asking him. Is it worth $70?

Need some information. All one room?

If separate rooms, then ask him to pay up. Same room and you were going to share, then leave it alone. In the future, just book separately after agreeing to a place/date.

Alright, I think we have consensus.  Let it go and hopefully it will be made up in the future.  If this money conscious group is unanimously saying don't worry about that money, I feel good about that.

Thanks, Mustachian community!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 01:50:22 PM »
I would just cut my losses. You will get to enjoy a more romantic trip with your GF so you don't lose out too badly.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »
I am dealing with an internal struggle and looking to this fantastic group for some advice!  This week, my friend invited my girlfriend and I on a spontaneous weekend trip, just the three of us.  We agreed, and offered to find the hotel, since we take the Mustachian route of searching all available options for the best value hotel.  $210 total for two nights - a pretty good deal for where we're going.

Come to the day before the trip, actually, minutes after the hotel became non-refundable, and he texted us saying he has gotten sick and won't be able to make it.  We've been texting back and forth and at this point, he has not offered to pay for his 1/3 of the hotel price.  My initial reaction if I bailed on a trip, and my friend said "bummer!  we still have to go because the hotel is non-refundable", would be to pay the portion of the hotel that I committed to.  I think for him, who is a great friend but is less money conscious, the money probably didn't even cross his mind.

So I ask you guys, should I force the potentially uncomfortable conversation of asking for the $70?  We are both financially stable, where a $70 hit won't break the bank, so I think the debate is on principle.  Should I ask him to pay because he agreed to booking the hotel?  Should I let it go and not risk straining the relationship for a small financial sum?
I wouldn't ask him to pay.  He got sick.  How sick?

A side note, my family (me, hubby, 2 kids) were going on a week long vacation to Utah to see Bryce, Zion, etc.  Our very first use of AirBNB.

My 3 yo started vomiting the day before we were due to leave.  We had to cancel the trip.  We are very very lucky that the AirBNB owner agreed to transfer our reservation to next year (he did NOT have to do that).  Will only cost us a little extra due to non refundable fees.

Some sickness you just do NOT mess with.  Don't punish the guy for getting sick.  (My entire family got the bug, and we ended up having applesauce, gatorade, and crackers on Thanksgiving).

sometimes stuff happens.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!