Author Topic: Short-term funds?  (Read 1778 times)

lwhorton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Short-term funds?
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »
I'm curious about the best strategy for "short term" funds. I am able to save about 15k a year into a taxable account, and 5k of that becomes my "be young and stupid and travel the world" fund every year. Some years I spend all 5k, other years I spend less than half. Similarly, I pay myself a car payment each month so that, when necessary, I can buy a car or fix my current in cash without financing. I also have a safety net of 130% of 4 months expenses.

As far as the safety net is concerned, I intend to invest this as part of my portfolio. 130% is an insurance against "oh god I need money now but the markets are down 20%"... I will still have the required capital. Where should this go as part of my allocation? I have heard two strategies: 1) Put it into intl. stock so I can sell, take an international-tax credit, then rebalance. 2) Put it into tax-exempt bonds in a taxable account so I can sell, pay very little in capital gains, then rebalance.

I'm not sure where to put the other short-term money. I want to give this money a chance to grow, but it also needs to be fairly liquid (both in terms of accessibility and not getting hit with a huge tax bill). Are tax-exempt bonds a good idea for funds like this? Can you have your cake and eat it, too, or am I being silly trying to grow such short-term funds?