Author Topic: Short Term Disability Insurance Individual Pregnancy  (Read 1445 times)

Cowspot28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Short Term Disability Insurance Individual Pregnancy
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:43:05 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to plan ahead for a possible upcoming pregnancy. My work doesn't provide any disability insurance. Is anyone aware of any individual short term disability policies that cover disability due to healthy vaginal delivery?

Thanks!

Lucky Recardito

• Pencil Stache
Re: Short Term Disability Insurance Individual Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
I don't have any specific resources for you, but popping by to suggest that you very carefully read the fine print on anything you're considering purchasing. Many STD policies exclude pregnancy for a specific waiting period (generally a couple of years) to prevent people from buying a policy while they're pregnant, and then immediately canceling it after they've benefitted.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 01:11:39 PM »
For pregnancy coverage you typically need it in place prior to becoming pregnant, sometimes there is a waiting period as well but that depends on the plan. Your largest hurdle will be getting a policy. As far as I am aware most short term disability plans need to be tied to your work and done through payroll deduct. Do you know why your employer does not offer it? The plans at two of my three current/former employers had premiums paid wholly by the employee. Outside of the time for HR to administer it there is not really a downside to offer it and only positive for your employees. My current employer even restricts us to where we can not file for short term disability and use our PTO at the same time. 

Cowspot28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My employer doesn't offer it because it's a small business, and it doesn't have many benefits. I could propose it, but we were affected by Covid and closed for 7 weeks. I'm thankful to have a job at all now. I spoke to several different companies who stated no insurance company would provide childbirth coverage for individuals due to said individual getting a policy, becoming pregnant, and getting benefits without fully paying into the system whereas with group policies the burden is shared. That makes sense from a business perspective since that's what I wanted to do: pay $2000 in premiums for $4000 payout. Oh well. I guess this is why we save.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:53:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies. My employer doesn't offer it because it's a small business, and it doesn't have many benefits. I could propose it, but we were affected by Covid and closed for 7 weeks. I'm thankful to have a job at all now. I spoke to several different companies who stated no insurance company would provide childbirth coverage for individuals due to said individual getting a policy, becoming pregnant, and getting benefits without fully paying into the system whereas with group policies the burden is shared. That makes sense from a business perspective since that's what I wanted to do: pay $2000 in premiums for $4000 payout. Oh well. I guess this is why we save.

Yes, I was going to say start saving. What exactly does potential upcoming pregnancy mean? You are trying to get pregnant? Thinking about trying? Waiting for the pee to dry on the strip? Those are personal questions, you certainly don't have to answer. But if this is more of "I'd like to get pregnant in the next year or two" situation, maybe you could look for a job that does offer disability insurance? Or one that offers paid maternity leave. Of course, if it's more like you are already trying or already pregnant, then I guess the only option is to start saving now to cover expenses during maternity leave. Honestly, I had a friend who was five months pregnant and got hired at a company that offers 16 weeks paid maternity leave, without any restrictions on employment before the leave. So you do have options, depending on what the job market looks like in your area.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
I can’t figure out what you are trying to insure.

Whenn you say “disability” doesnt that mean loss of income? Does your employer offer sick leave that you can save up and use?

Yet,  it sounds like you mean health care coverage for labor, delivery, and baby.

Million dollar babies are not unusual. One thing wrong and they are in ICU Neo
Natal for weeks. Easily $1 million in a short time. You can’t save for that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:48:05 AM by iris lily »

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »

Whenn you say “disability” doesnt that mean loss of income? Does your employer offer sick leave that you can save up and use?

Yet,  it sounds like you mean health care coverage for labor, delivery, and baby.

I think OP is referring to lose of income during maternity leave. Good call on the sick leave. Another thing that depends on the overall time frame and company policy. Some companies allow you to roll over unlimited PTO, some don't. If OP has a few weeks of PTO that they can up, that could be used during the maternity leave as well.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
I'm confused about the "healthy vaginal delivery" part. You won't know until the day you give birth whether you'll have a 'healthy vaginal delivery'.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »
I'm confused about the "healthy vaginal delivery" part. You won't know until the day you give birth whether you'll have a 'healthy vaginal delivery'.

Perhaps it should have said "low risk pregnancy" or "presumed healthy vaginal delivery".

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:39 PM »

It sounds like she is talking about loss of income, not health insurance.  Presumably, she has health insurance.

In companies/ states that have disability insurance options, some cover recovery from pregnancy, some do not.

I know someone who was seriously disabled from childbirth (broke her tailbone).  She could not even get out of bed for 4 months.  In that case, even if she hadn't been in California, she would have been eligible for disability because she was disabled.  I assume the OP is trying to make that distinction.

Cowspot28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the confusion.

When I had my first child in CA, I was amazed at the wonderful state provided STD benefits and bonding for even a non complicated birth. In my current state and at my current employer, this is not an option so I was looking for an individual policy so I could cover a loss of income if/when I go on maternity leave (not pregnant yet). PTO would be an option as well, but as I stated, my current employer doesn’t provide great benefits so I won’t be able to accrue much/any.

After calling around, it looks like it’s not an option as it does make financial sense for insurance companies to offer this benefit. I am mustachian so that’s not a problem at all.