Author Topic: Short Term Disability for Pregnancy  (Read 6544 times)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Short Term Disability for Pregnancy
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
So the wife is due end of May with baby #2. She didn't have a full time position for #1 so this didn't come up.

How does the short term disability thing work when having a baby? Is this something you have to plan ahead for? What are the requirements and stipulations?

Also, she will have been in her full time position for approximately 11 months when the baby is born. I heard something about having to have been employed for a year to receive the benefit. Is this true? If so can she start receiving the benefit after she crosses the 12 month mark?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Short Term Disability for Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »
She really needs to check with her HR.  They will be able to answer all these questions.

For me short term disability gave me 60% of my income for 6 weeks, however it did not kick in until 1 week after I had the baby.  I filled the gap using vacation time and savings.  All total I took 12 weeks off and only 3 weeks were truly unpaid.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
So the wife is due end of May with baby #2. She didn't have a full time position for #1 so this didn't come up.

How does the short term disability thing work when having a baby? Is this something you have to plan ahead for? What are the requirements and stipulations?

Also, she will have been in her full time position for approximately 11 months when the baby is born. I heard something about having to have been employed for a year to receive the benefit. Is this true? If so can she start receiving the benefit after she crosses the 12 month mark?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

You aren't eligible for FMLA (unpaid leave) until 12 months. Disability eligibility policy will vary by employer.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
They've basically told her she will get the FMLA (thought I guess they could renege) since she did 9 months of an internship there prior to getting the job.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 11:33:23 AM »
They've basically told her she will get the FMLA (thought I guess they could renege) since she did 9 months of an internship there prior to getting the job.

FMLA and disability are different. FMLA is a federal law, so if they said she's eligible, then that's going to be pretty hard to take away.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »

FMLA is not short term disability.  FMLA basically means they agree to hold her job for her for up to 12 weeks (unpaid) while she is on medical leave.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:48:12 AM »
I know FMLA is separate from disability. Was just responding to @NoStacheOhio that they have told her they will honor the 12 weeks off.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
I went through this recently.

Short term disability for childbirth and recovery and provided through an employer typically works as follows:

1. You register with the disability insurance provider partnered with the employer. Usually they don't recommend registering sooner than 60 days before the due date because it is hard to know your medical circumstances far in advance. They will require that you submit proof of pregnancy...many times they'll contact the OBGYN office directly but sometimes the woman has to be the one to submit the form to the insurance company.
2. When registering, your wife will indicate her reason for the disability pay - in a normal birth, it will be listed as something like childbirth/recovery from childbirth/bonding with newborn. If she is having complications and needs to be off work before her due date, there is an option for that as well. Standard is 6 weeks of disability pay from the date of birth. Many employers only cover 40-60% of salary.
3. In a normal birth without a medical need to be off work beforehand, the disability pay kicks in after you give birth and never before. It is up to the parents to alert the company of the date of birth to start the payments. So when I gave birth, I just called the next day and told them I had given birth on X date, and they arranged for the payments to start that week.
4. The pay can be direct deposited if the woman provides this information to the insurer when she registers.
5. After 6 weeks, the deposits/checks stop.
6. In many cases, the insurer will provide a separate W2 for this disability pay so you can claim it appropriately when you file your taxes. If paid through the insurer, this income will not be reflected on the employer's w2.
7. Disability and FMLA run concurrently. For example: if your wife leaves work on April 20th, and gives birth on May 1, her FMLA will have started on April 20th and will run 12 weeks from that date. Her disability payments will start on May 1st or 2nd and will run 6 weeks from that date.

As far as her eligibility to receive the benefit, it depends on her employer. Typically, employees who have surpassed their probationary period (usually 3 months) and who are enrolled in the short term disability benefit are entitled to receive this. As others have mentioned, you are probably thinking of the year requirement for FMLA.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:28:39 PM by little_brown_dog »

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »
Thank you so much @little_brown_dog. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Guess we have at least a month or two before she needs to register.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
So is it a benefit provided by the employer? How do I know if I have shirt term disability insurance? I'm a federal employee, of that makes a difference.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »
Federal employees have no short term disability.***

I'm a federal employee.  Each time I had a baby I used the 12 weeks of FMLA.  FMLA leave is unpaid time so I used all my sick and annual leave until they were gone and then took LWOP (leave without pay) for the remainder. 

***Edited to add: unless you live in a state like California that mandates short term disability.  Then even federal employees have it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:52:04 PM by SomedayStache »

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 12:46:01 PM »
When I had it, mine used to show up on my pay stub. My employer used to provide it (50% of salary) to us for free.

This year they decided they weren't going to pay for it anymore so I just said to hell with it and dropped it. I figured I can cover my own expenses for 6 weeks if something were to happen.

EDIT: scratch what I posted earlier. Just checked and short term disability did not show up on the old pay stub. Just a benefit they provided us apparently.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:49:17 PM by dcozad999 »

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »
When did your wife begin her policy?  The ST disability plans I have seen will only cover pregnancy/childbirth if the policy was in place prior to be covered person becoming pregnant.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »
She started in July. Guessing she got pregnant in September/October?

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
Thank you so much @little_brown_dog. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Guess we have at least a month or two before she needs to register.

Happy to help. Pack the short term disability instructions and contact info in your baby go bag. That way they are easily accessible and you can call them the day after the birth.

MrRichards

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 06:42:03 PM »
Here's how it works at my company. It's similar to what little_brown_dog posted, but with some variations, so probably you should have your wife check with her HR before doing anything else.

Oh, and as far as I know, short term disability for pregnancy is no different than other short term disability, since pregnancy is a federally-protected disability.

• STD (terrible acronym, right?) is only available to employees who have been employed for a full year prior to taking a leave.
  • Employees are required to use paid time off (PTO) for the first 5 days of the leave, called the "elimination period". (Seriously, who comes up with this stuff?)
  • If the employee has prior knowledge of the reason for taking a leave (pregnancy, pre-planned surgery, etc.), they call the disability provider no more than 30 days before the planned start of the leave.
  • The employee calls again within a week of starting the leave, to give details and permission to contact their medical providers.
  • Pay is 100% of salary, and is paid via the regular payroll. However, it shows up specifically noted as STD pay. W-2s don't differentiate between the types of pay.
  • STD lasts 6 weeks for a vaginal delivery, 8 weeks for a C-section, or up to 13 weeks if the employee is determined by their doctor to be unable to work for longer. (This 13 week limit is common to everyone taking disability, after 13 weeks it's determined to be "long term" disability.)
  • After the STD limit is exhausted, employees typically take all accumulated PTO and then add in unpaid FMLA time if they want to have a longer leave.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »
So is it a benefit provided by the employer? How do I know if I have shirt term disability insurance? I'm a federal employee, of that makes a difference.

You don't. Unless you've bought it from some after market thing.

FMLA covers up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave. As a Federal Employee you can use your Sick Leave or annual Leave to have some or all of that paid. In *addition* to the 12 weeks FMLA you can have 6 weeks Sick Leave to recover from childbirth (or 8 for a c section). Your physical recovery is covered by sick leave while caring for baby is covered by FMLA. You can thus have a total of 18 weeks (6 paid SL, + 12 FMLA unpaid by default or use your annual leave)

Since the maximum carry over for Annula leave is 240 hours (unless you're overseas) It's almost impossible to get the full 12 weeks paid in addition to the 6 weeks sick (240hours AL + what you earn that year + comp time usually does not equal 12 weeks, but you can to LWOP)

vivian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 07:44:05 PM »
Unlike health insurance, short term disability insurance usually only covers the employee and not their family. So, even if you had coverage as a federal employee, your wife would not. Unless her employer offers it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 08:12:33 PM »
A lot of times you need to purchase this policy separately, before you get pregnant.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.