Author Topic: Shopping on Amazon / bulk buying  (Read 2741 times)

cbee6390

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Shopping on Amazon / bulk buying
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »
Any tips for finding the best price per unit on Amazon for bulk dry food products like quinoa? Would go to Costco but don't have one close / don't have a membership.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Shopping on Amazon / bulk buying
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »
Any tips for finding the best price per unit on Amazon for bulk dry food products like quinoa? Would go to Costco but don't have one close / don't have a membership.

Since Amazon changed their search results, the top returns aren't necessarily the lowest cost for you, but rather elevate certain sellers above others.  It makes it a real pain to find the lowest price because "sort by price" doesn't necessarily work as you'd expect it to.
For goods like quinoa I figuring out what unit(s) they are typically sold (in this case pounds, usually 1, 5, 10lb sacks) and then specifying that in your search terms.  Then sort by price.  Often I have to make a few searches (one for each given unit size) to compare whether buying 2 x 5lb bags is a better deal than buying 1 x 10lb bag.

Also, make sure you are searching within "Gourmet nad food" or you're likely to get books with 'quinoa' in the title.
hope that helps

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »
So far I've only tried to find bulk dried black beans and dried kidney beans on S&S, and it always works out cheaper to get them locally from my local natural foods store or even <gasp!> Whole Foods dry bins. I'd love to buy these online and be able to stock up more easily, but so far not worth the cost.

I also find that TJ's has the best price on nuts, shredded coconut, raisins. So far.

ETA: We use Subscribe & Save, don't have Prime, so just occurred to me that our pricing options might be different.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
Would camelCamelCamel.com help? It tracks prices.