Author Topic: Shopping for a used car  (Read 2448 times)

EngiNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Shopping for a used car
« on: February 13, 2016, 01:30:41 PM »
I'm looking for the best value in a hatchback that I plan to drive for the next 5-10 years.  What mileage and age ranges are optimal to target.  I tend to find myself looking at the 150k + mile  vehicles for cost savings but that might be a bit more risky than maybe the 100-150 range. 

Also in my area I see relatively good deals on Pontiac vibes.  A friend of mine told me he wouldn't buy one because pontiac is no longer in production and therefore parts would be expensive.  I know the engine is from toyota, and I do not how much extra expense other parts might bring?  I suspect he is over estimating this potential expense. 

Vibes I am considering right now.  Which one has the best value just considering the asking price?

2006 5 speed (+ for my preference) 180k miles clean title: $2600  Private Owner
2007 automatic 106k, salvage title: $4900 Private owner
2005 automatic 150k, clean: 4000 dealership, credit card points!

studentoflife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Shopping for a used car
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
I think the Vibe/Matrix is an excellent choice and Vibe parts will not be an issue. The high mileage stick is the best value, condition being equal. Those cars will go to 300k easily.

I recently purchased a 2005 Prius for $4000 and have been very pleased. Similar size inside, reliable, and cheap to operate.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Shopping for a used car
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
I'd stick with Honda and Toyota (and their derivatives) for optimum reliability. In the small category, I love the Prius. However, I'd stick with 2010 and later unless you're willing to do research on a model by model basis, because ESC was optional before then, and I definitely wouldn't go before '07, because side airbags were optional before then.