Author Topic: shoe help- black flats  (Read 8924 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
shoe help- black flats
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:51:03 AM »
I need black flats that arte nice enough to be business casual (teacher) but can handle some beating (bike commute).

I've never been successful finding used shoes at thrift stores.

Is target or pay less my best bet, and just replace annually/as needed, or is there something better out there?

cynthia1848

• Stubble
Re: shoe help- black flats
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:52:43 AM »
I would get commuting shoes if you don't have them already, and then nicer flats.  Both shoes will last longer that way.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:07:07 AM »
I'd recommend looking for shoes on Zappos.com. I think you can find styles that are versatile enough for both the bike commute and to wear in the classroom. It is easy to order and easy to return if they don't work for you. The teachers in my grandchildren's school dress very casually for school, although very clean, neat and nice-looking. I just think that carrying extra shoes on a bike commute might be a nuisance…although you could just leave the extra shoes at school…but then you wouldn't have them if you wanted them at home for evenings/weekends.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
Agree with the Zappoa recommendation, I would check out Clarks or Born or another brand along those lines for something that will have good looks and the necessary comfort you need. Yes, they will be more expensive than something from Payless, but they will be much more comfortable and last much longer. You can get a got of good info from reading reviews, and if you aren't sure which shoe you want, Zappos has free shipping BOTH WAYS. Order a few pair and return the ones that don't work.

You couldn't GIVE me a pair of shoes from Payless...

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »
Sketchers makes a pair of black flats w/ elastic straps. They can pass for dress shoes for teaching.

http://www.zappos.com/skechers-bikers-step-up-black

However, I agree w/ the other poster that getting a pair of shoes to wear while biking and bringing your dress shoes w/ you to wear at school makes sense also.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 06:55:41 AM »
+1 to what she ^^ said. Took the words right out of my mouth. The part about the Skechers.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:14:17 AM »
I just got these:

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-felicia-plum-black-leather

They have a solid rubber bottom, and the Mary Jane strap is elastic. They feel sturdy on my feet, comfortable, but look nice enough to wear under my concert dress for choral concerts.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
Agree with the Zappoa recommendation, I would check out Clarks or Born or another brand along those lines for something that will have good looks and the necessary comfort you need. Yes, they will be more expensive than something from Payless, but they will be much more comfortable and last much longer. You can get a got of good info from reading reviews, and if you aren't sure which shoe you want, Zappos has free shipping BOTH WAYS. Order a few pair and return the ones that don't work.

In defense of payless. I have wide feet, payless is pretty much the only cheaper shoe place that carries wide shoes. My other options are to go to a place like Naturalizer, where the sticker prices are stupid, even at the outlet where I shop. I bought a pair of flats there and had them fall apart in the same amount of time it took the payless ones. I'm at the point where I don't really see the point of paying a lot for shoes because I don't think more money guarantees a lasting product anymore.

tl,dr: payless is good for cheap flats and low heels if you've got wide feet. I stick to the American Eagle brand of flats and the Comfort Plus line for heels.

lise

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:08 AM »
I'm in the two pairs camp.  Ballet flats are so light to carry or keep at work.  Good quality commuter shoes/sneakers last me 3+ years.  But if you're constantly buying "cheap" ones they are going to get beaten up more quickly because of what you're doing in them (hopping on and off bikes etc).  You can go cheap ballet flats since you're just wearing them around inside.

Anyway I don't buy "cheap shoes", very un MMM but any cheap shoes I have bought have been uncomfortable or have fallen apart quickly.  I do find some good bargains of good quality brands at outlets or even online at places like 6pm.com (where zappos get rid of their stock).  Put it this way - I didn't need to buy any shoes this winter because quality lasts.  I did however buy a pair because I "wanted" them but I didn't "need" them.  AHHH - why am I still feeling guilty!  I've worn them 5 days already and I've only owned them for 10!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
I kept shoes at work and changed into them when I got there.  That way the shoes I used to walk could get muddy/wet/slushy/salty, but I could still have nice shoes during the day.

I get my ballet flats at Target. They have lasted 5 years or so.

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »
I've always had good luck finding flats at Ross, but they aren't necessarily sturdy enough for your commute.  Recently Ross has had better prices than either TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

I've also seen a number of pairs there that are wide.  I have high arches and I can usually find something.

Mesa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »
Skechers are a great option.  To buy them, check out Ebates (www.ebates.com) and from that site, search for Shoebuy (www.shoebuy.com).  Using that combo, you can get a 6% rebate from Ebates on your Shoebuy purchases, and Shoebuy looks like it has a 22% discount offer right now.  No affiliation with either site--just a happy customer.

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »
I've been wearing these black flats for I think about 4 years now: http://www.amazon.com/Naturalizer-Womens-Hasten-Flats-Black/dp/B0096AG4L4/#.

They've really held up well after a lot of walking. Very comfy, sturdy, and they're only looking worn because I scuff my toes. I'm pretty sure I got them from DSW originally -- they do pretty substantial coupons now and then, but you could probably find them cheap on ebay or somewhere.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »
All .y work shoes are Clark's or Aerosoles bought at great discount prices at Marshalls. Comfortable, wear well. They won't always have the style you want, but when they do, the price is great.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 10:57:28 AM »
I've never been successful finding used shoes at thrift stores.

You might try consignment shops rather than thrift stores. I've had great luck with shoes at "nicer" used clothing places. Target price for much higher quality.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
Or, for even cheaper high-quality flats/shoes, try the Zappos.com outlet, 6pm.com.  I just scored some great shoes with leather soles (so I can re-sole forevah and evah) for >$100.

Oh, and I TOTALLY second the two pairs of shoes plan.. Yes, it's a pain, but not jacking up a nicer pair of shoes that you're wearing for work will save you money in the long run.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »
The two pairs of shoes plan is a huge hassle, and I know because I tried to make it work.  Eventually you give up and start wearing your nice shoes all the time.  Or you forget your nice shoes, which you have to take in a separate bag, along with all your teaching stuff and your packed lunch, and it is a hassle.

Also a warning: I have those exact Skechers that someone linked to, the Bikers Step-Up.  I hate those shoes with a passion.  The shoes are attached to your feet by those small straps with Velcro endings.  And the Velcro patch is tiny!  If you walk at a moderate pace, they'll stay on.  Run?  They come undone right away, straps flying, and the shoes come off your feet.  Bike?  Same thing.  Don't ask about the time I was late for a plane at an airport and had to run.  I finally had to take the infuriating Skechers off my feet and run through the airport in my socks, carrying my shoes. 

They're now sitting in the back of my closet, where I just glare at them from time to time.

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »

In defense of payless. I have wide feet, payless is pretty much the only cheaper shoe place that carries wide shoes. My other options are to go to a place like Naturalizer, where the sticker prices are stupid, even at the outlet where I shop. I bought a pair of flats there and had them fall apart in the same amount of time it took the payless ones. I'm at the point where I don't really see the point of paying a lot for shoes because I don't think more money guarantees a lasting product anymore.

tl,dr: payless is good for cheap flats and low heels if you've got wide feet. I stick to the American Eagle brand of flats and the Comfort Plus line for heels.

You and me both. I joke sometimes that my feet are so wide, they're actually square. I recently tried to branch out of Payless and bought two pairs of shoes - one Skechers, and one from Ross/TJ Maxx/Kohls/can't remember. Neither have been comfortable and I'm still breaking both of them in so I can only wear them occasionally when I thought I'd be up to full wear and could have thrown away my worn Payless shoes by now. I think I'm going back to Payless. If you think of them as semi-disposable I think they're decent value.

I'm on about my third pair of black Claire scrunch flats from Dexflex at Payless. Very comfy, with some padding in the sole. I think I'm going to go and buy my fourth pair soon and possibly give up on the Skechers.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
I ride my bike in my Sperry's all the time. I love them because they're real leather. I can't wear synthetic shoes without socks, they make my feet sweat and they smell after only a couple weeks. I have one pair of their actual boat shoes that are not dressy enough for work (but are my fave travel shoes!), but I also have a pair of their loafers that I wear all summer long at the office.

Minimali

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
I'm another in the two pairs category.

Can you keep your smart pair at work?

I walk to work in trainers and keep my smart shoes at work to save me bringing them every day. I have a locker in this job but in my last job, I just kept them in a drawer.

straycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
How about these??? I wouldn't usually suggest Walmart for shoes - but Dr. Scholl's is a good brand, known for comfort and these are cute AND cheap! I have a pair of Dr. Scholl's I bought at walmart years ago that are still in great condition. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr.-Scholl-s-Women-s-Georgia-Casual-Slip-on-Shoe/36775621

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »

I've also got wide feet and find Payless shoes make me want to confess my heresies.  I need a little arch support and every time I've tried Payless, I find none of that.

I have found a few brands I find comfortable, and have been able to get them from 6pm for a steal.  If you watch their sales you can find leather Fitzwell (Zappos house brand), Walking Cradles, Clarks, RosePetals, etc. for very reasonable prices.  If you aren't familiar with the brands, it makes sense to order the first pair from Zappos because they have free returns and 6pm does not.  But I've gotten beautiful leather wide width riding boots at 6pm for $40 that have been awesome.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
Check out Martyshoes.com. I used to shop the brick and mortar store in NY. They`ve got good buys on those comfy brands like Aerosoles, Naturalizer, etc. Returns for on-line purchases are not free like Zappos but you can order something you`ve tried on elsewhere.

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
I love fashion and comfort and girly stuff.  TJ Maxx or Marshalls has great deals if you have the patience to sort through for bargains.  I have also found good deals on shoes and boots on a site called 6pm.com

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »
+1 for the two pairs advice. I keep a drawer full of shoes at work. I hardly ever wear dress shoes not at work, so if I know I'm going to need something I'll bring them home but otherwise my work shoes stay there. This frees up space in my closet and has my shoes lasting longer.