Author Topic: Shipping on eBay  (Read 4496 times)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
Shipping on eBay
« on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
I've searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.
How do you all ship things when selling on eBay?  I really get murdered on shipping charges, especially because most of my objects don't fit in the flat rate shipping boxes from the USPS.
The FedEx places charge a small fortune.
Any hidden gems or obvious answers that I'm not thinking about?

Wanderlusting

Re: Shipping on eBay
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
Have you tried just using USPS First class package shipping? It's usually pretty cheap, especially if you have weird sized packages. If you're shipping a heavy item it's best to calculate shipping on the most expensive possible distance (ie cross country) and give what you'd consider a fair estimate. Also, you save like 20% by purchasing the shipping through ebay, which helps.

This is what I do at least now. I got burned pretty badly trying to ship via UPS once so I just stick with the post office from now on.

steadierfooting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »
I just wrapped up a big 100 item shipping bonanza on ebay from selling junk around the house.  things I learned
-- have the shipping materials ready
-- have a scale (I use a food scale, for weights up to 6.6 lb)
--pack up the material, weigh it in the scale, and put the dimensions into the calculator in ebay to estimate shipping with USPS
--you HAVE to use ebay shipping labels to print.  Priority mail gives a 10-20% discount, but then passes the savings onto the customer (ridiculous!).  It's close to 30% for UPS.
--factor in the shipping and handling to list price.  I walk / ride my bike to the post office so no gas, but the printer ink, paper, envelope, and packaging tape is factored in (I figure .50 a listing).
--I do all costs priority mail, but if the final bid or price was low or less than it should be, I'll ship it to them the cheapest means possible and keep the shipping profits.  Some people pad the weight saying it's more than it should be, then reentering it.

--if you plan on selling a lot, search/buy "poly mailers" on amazon, like size 10x13.  They are lightweight so don't add much to shipping weight, cost $.10 a bag, and can be folded onto itself to double as a bubble wrap / protector for smaller items.

you definitely have to be careful.  There was 2 items that I ended up losing money on because I underestimated the weight, and so the shipping costs was higher than the winning price + shipping.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
I use the post office for 99% of what I ship paying for it through Ebay's label system. Believe it or not if you haven't checked, but Ebay gives a discount for shipping Priority. I use it for much of what I sell, BUT, not the flat-rate boxes, as that might not be as cheap. Sending it via Priority typically is cheaper than any other way. At least for sure on the continental US.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »
I ship tons of stuff on Ebay and have a few tips:

1. Reuse bubble envelopes from stuff you received in the mail. I have been doing that for 6+ years without a single complaint.
2. Ship in bubble envelopes instead of boxes, they weigh less. I use little/no packing material unless it is fragile. Again, never a complaint.
3. Ship first class if it weighs less than 13 oz
4. Ship anything you can media mail - this includes CDs, DVDs, board games, books, etc.
5. Use the bubble priority envelopes that cost about $5.95 before the Ebay discount. These are difficult to find at the post office but can be ordered 10 at a time and delivered to your home for free.
5. Order legal size priority flat envelopes rate for larger items - only like .50 more to ship. These also can normally only be found online.
6. Use the back side of junk mail or some other reused paper to print the label on. Again, been doing it for years with no complaint.
7. If the item is already in a box (ie - I shipped a Wii this way), just get a brown paper bag from your grocery store and wrap it up in that. No need for another box or more packing material.

What exactly are you trying to ship? I may have more specific tips then :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
I really get murdered on shipping charges

Are you not making the buyer pay for shipping?  Do that.  Ebay automatically calculates how much it'll cost (based on weight) to send it from your zip code to theirs.  No surprises that way.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
I really get murdered on shipping charges

Are you not making the buyer pay for shipping?  Do that.  Ebay automatically calculates how much it'll cost (based on weight) to send it from your zip code to theirs.  No surprises that way.

Ebay also takes a 10% CUT off the top of your charged shipping price, so make sure to inflate the shipping cost you charge slightly to compensate.