Author Topic: Shedding a car... fix it up and sell private party or dump at dealer?  (Read 1658 times)

thedigitalone

• Stubble
We landed a great deal on a Leaf a while back and my DW loves using it as her daily driver/commuter car! So we have her old 2009 VW EOS gas-guzzler to deal with, it doesn't have a lot of resale value ($5k or so) and it has a few issues:
  • Front window is cracked $350 to replace.
    Oil is leaking from around the drain plug, $100 or $600+ if the pan needs to be replaced.
    CEL is on due to a bad sensor on the intake manifold, it doesn't affect the engine all but is expensive to repair $800.
    One of the HID lights flickers at night, sometimes, guessing $250 to repair.

So, worst case is about $2k in repairs, probably more like $1k, but a bunch of time to run it around and have the work done, or I can run it over to carmax or similar and walk away with $3-4k... tough decision.

It's a good little car, just has some issues, probably wouldn't be too hard to sell since spring is here and it is a hardtop convertible.

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Shedding a car... fix it up and sell private party or dump at dealer?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »
If car Max will give you $4k and that's what it's worth minus costs to repair it what's the issue

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

thedigitalone

• Stubble
Re: Shedding a car... fix it up and sell private party or dump at dealer?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
After thinking this over for a day I think the process is to replace the windshield, put it on Craigslist for $5-6k mentioning the oil leak/CEL and see what happens over a couple of warm weekends and if that doesn't pan out just sell it off to carmax or a dealership quick and easy.

Low stress, might make a few extra $, not a bad combo.