Author Topic: .  (Read 1793 times)

Treb3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:36:30 PM by Treb3 »

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
Re: Shattered iPhone
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
It looks like the iPhone 6 is no longer able to get updates to the operating system, so it’s stuck at iOS 12.4.2. I find that once my phone can no longer get the latest operating system, I have less than a year left before the apps I use stop working as they start requiring updates that require the latest iOS. So I wouldn’t pay to replace the screen at this point, plus you could get a 6s for basically the cost of the screen fix, and you’d still be able to be on the latest iOS for another year.

If it was me, I’d look around on swappa or gazelle or eBay and see if I could find a 6s or better for around the cost of a screen replacement. And I’d only use the Android in the interim before my new to me phone arrived (unless you can still get the cracked screen iPhone to work, then I’d still use that over my old android!)

Bernard

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »
If been using iPhones since they came out. But the more expensive they got, the more they slowed down. I still have an iPhone 6s Maxi (?), and I broke the screen once when I had the fancy looking brown leather case with the apple imprinted in it. I now have the rubber-protected Otter case, and so far so good.

But it's the last iPhone I'll own, because I'm not willing to spend that silly money on one again. Several of my employees have Android phones, and their photo and video quality puts my iPhone to shame, to put it mildly. My next phone will cost $299 or $399, not $1,199.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 08:17:25 PM »
I’m on an iPhone 6s. When it bites the dust I’ll probably buy a used iPhone 8. I had an Android once, because on paper it had a much better processor and camera and various other hardware. I quickly realized that top of the line hardware with crappy Android software is much worse than a few years old iPhone.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 08:33:11 PM »
+1 for looking on swappa
I've done three transactions recently,
I bought an iPhone 6S
I bought my new slightly used laptop
I just last week sold an iPhone 5S.
I'm very happy with that site.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »
The person from whom I bought my iPhone 6S posted the state of the battery in the ad. I looked for one lightly used, with minimal number of battery cycles and 100% of the original battery capacity. Not all sellers post this kind of information, but many do. My laptop (2018 model) was just off a corporate lease, and had just 25 battery cycles.
They have a service plan, kind of like AppleCare that I purchased for a year.

On their website they indicate in what ways they are better (less risky) than eBay or Craigslist.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 09:27:04 AM »
I haven’t yet bought used on swappa but that’s where I plan to buy when I do. For simplicity, I plan to only buy from a seller who has achieved swappa’s Trusted Seller badge. But if you are more willing to roll the dice for a few dollars off, still look to buy from 5 star sellers who list the battery capacity percentage in their description of the phone, who specify that the phone is carrier unlocked, and the iCloud is unlocked.

Bernard

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
I’m on an iPhone 6s. When it bites the dust I’ll probably buy a used iPhone 8. I had an Android once, because on paper it had a much better processor and camera and various other hardware. I quickly realized that top of the line hardware with crappy Android software is much worse than a few years old iPhone.

LG Stylo 4 Plus.
There's a Stylo 5 out there, but it's actually a step back.
My employee got it on sale for $199, and it's about 10 times as good as my iPhone 6S Plus.

I'm not claiming that the iPhone 11 isn't as good, but I'm not willing to spend hundreds more for name recognition.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!