Author Topic: Setting business - payment gateways  (Read 3608 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Setting business - payment gateways
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »
So this is for my wife's little hobby/business. She has some jewelry that she does on the side and currently only selling through some fairs and networking and not much else.

I thought this would be a good oportunity to set something online and more professional enabling her to expand a bit more.

I am in the process of setting up the payment gateways and need some input here if possible.

I was thinking of using Braintree or Stripe or Square.

For the e-store end, I am leaning towards braintree, not only because they integrate with paypal payments (if a customer wants to pay with paypal instead of giving me their CC details) but also because their pricing is really good. The first 50k are fee free.

I thought of having also Stripe as a backup, since they dont have any monthly fees for having gateways set up and are on a pay as you go basis. It is my opinion that a backup should be in place in case the main gateway is unusable by something out of my control - be it with account frozen, or something tech based.

I would be happy with these two... however, I was also interested in having a device for payments on the spot, for my wife to use in fairs and other places where she might go.

As far as I could look into, braintree and stripe dont offer mobile card readers. Hence, Square. Their pricing seems okay and the device is free and there are no monthly fees whatsoever ...

Do you think this would be a good approach? Are you aware if braintree or stripe offer any type of card readers?

Also, if you think my choices are not good and you have better alternatives I am all ears! Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Setting business - payment gateways
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:31:51 AM »
anyone?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 06:34:03 AM »
I'm not sure what technology you're integrating with, but my client uses Stripe, which I integrated into a .NET web site. Good documentation, which is important for set up! Otherwise, I don't have anything else to offer.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 08:28:57 AM »
I have one friend using Square and says she is very happy with it FWIW.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
I'm not sure what technology you're integrating with, but my client uses Stripe, which I integrated into a .NET web site. Good documentation, which is important for set up! Otherwise, I don't have anything else to offer.

this is a html php site.

just curious on how good/reliable they process it without being overexpensive. I look at their documentation and its nice to see i can integrate it on the website. I may add a paypal button for those that want to go that route instead if they feel insecure sharing the data.

I may go the Braintree route first due to the first 50k being free of charges thats a savings of 1500 USD + 0,30 $ * transactions

badbear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
I went with Braintree for my software development/IT consulting business. A free $50k in processing was too good to pass up, and they have great ways to integrate with your website. I did not have need of a card reader, but if you check their website they link to some affiliated companies that have an app you can use to read cards along with a device that attaches to a phone. There are additional fee to use the reader, though, so perhaps for in-person sales you could just use Paypal or Square, both of which will send you their card reader. The best choice probably depends a lot on sales volume.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
I suggest not referring to something your wife does as "her little" anything. It s belittling.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 11:20:46 AM »
I suggest not referring to something your wife does as "her little" anything. It s belittling.

what? lol ... maybe i am being lost in translation but its nothing of belittling! Im building her an ecommerce website from scratch lol how could that be belittling it?

badbear, I didnt see anything on Braintree regarding integration with other card readers and such... regarding fees for square they are actually cheaper than the standard 2.9% at 2.75% processing fee.

Are you happy with Braintree currently? Security and fraudwise are they good? I think they are owned by Paypal?

EDIT - oh scratch that... i just saw that you said additional fees on Braintree for in person... yes. That was my thought... use Square for in person and Braintree as main website gateway and having Stripe as backup.

I came across this though through a friend:

https://payment.ninja/

Free processing credit card without any fees? I have no idea how is this possible...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:22:54 AM by MrSal »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
Curious what you end up doing here..  Braintree is owned by PayPal which would make some folks stay away.   (not me but some people hate PP due to freezing accounts, etc)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »
Curious what you end up doing here..  Braintree is owned by PayPal which would make some folks stay away.   (not me but some people hate PP due to freezing accounts, etc)

i dont have any problem with PayPal but if they freeze my account thats why i have the backup set up... and if they become a hassle... well competition is fierce.

badbear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:26:40 AM »
Payment Ninja sounds like a company without a business model and I have to wonder how long it could possibly last.

https://www.innerfence.com/ has the Braintree-compatible card reader.

If you want a pre-built invoice solution for Braintree, I have been looking at Invoice Ninja, which just just added support for Braintree in the latest version. It is free for their basic version and it's open source so you can host it yourself if you want.