Author Topic: Service Dogs: Deductions, Training, etc.?  (Read 1999 times)

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
Service Dogs: Deductions, Training, etc.?
« on: August 06, 2016, 05:55:01 AM »
Anyone have experience with a service dog? After decades holding to my Mustachian desire to avoid animal expenditures, I've decided to move forward with buying and training a service dog. The IRS does allow for service dog-related expenses to be included as medical deductions and I'm in the "expenses must be over 10% of income to be deducted" income range. Unfortunately I've had enough expenses this year to make that a reality.

I'd appreciate hearing from any current and former service dog owners or those who have friends/family in similar situations: what are your observations, lessons learned, etc. It's a huge responsibility, I take it very seriously, and admittedly I'm pretty excited about having a little buddy with me as well.

Thanks,
Mac

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Service Dogs: Deductions, Training, etc.?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:16:14 AM »
Since service dogs need to be prescribed/arranged for by your physician or other qualified person, depending on the reason for the need, wouldn't that be the place to start with questions?  After all the dog needs to have been trained to assist in whatever the reason for it is (i.e. seeing eye dogs get lots of training before they ever meet their person).

I found this site:http://www.servicedogsforamerica.org/

Therapy dogs are a whole other story, but I don't think they are what you are referring to.

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
Re: Service Dogs: Deductions, Training, etc.?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 11:00:53 AM »
It's a medical service dog need, the doctors will provide a letter to the dog trainer but as far as expenses, training, etc., my doctors said "talk to a vet". That is a great link, thanks much for providing it.