Author Topic: Send hubby up a ladder or pay $400  (Read 10088 times)

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Send hubby up a ladder or pay $400
« on: August 19, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
So, ever mustachian, I am painting the exterior of a single story house myself.  Problem is, I can't reach the top of the back and the front.  I have an estimate (labor only) for an insured and licensed painter to do the painting (with caulk and trim painting) for $400.  That's a fair offer.  So - does hubby (46 yr old office worker) go up an extension ladder or do I pony up the $400.  I'm almost thinking to let the painter do the front for $200 (where it matters) and try the dyi with the extension ladder in the back.

I guess we can always give it a go and see if its too hard. However, knowing DH, once he starts, he'd be too manly to say its not a good idea.....

tawyer

• Bristles
Re: Send hubby up a ladder or pay $400
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »
Has DH done caulk and trim painting with his feet planted firmly on the floor? I'm a proponent of learning to do everything yourself, but taking it one step at a time...

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
I would happily fork out the money. It is about safety.

Few years ago my hb wanted to cut down some palm trees (involving an extension ladder and a chainsaw), which sounded so scary that I happily paid 3 guys 400$, to do the work. No regrets.sometimes you just have to know what to outsource.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Has he used an extension ladder before? Is he in good physical shape? Has he painted/caulked before? Does you have friends or family who *do* have experience and can help and teach?

If no to those, pay the money. But work to shore up those skills, fitness, and community ties instead!

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
Well, DH knows how to caulk, and at some point he has used the extension ladder as he owns it, but I'm not sure how long ago. He's in great shape for watching football.... let's leave it at that. :) He is handy though. I'm leaning towards having the painter do the front for the professional appearance and we attempt the back at our leisure since no one can see it.  If it's not done by next year we pay!!!!!

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
You say it's a single story house -- how far off the ground are we talking here? How does your husband feel about it -- is he afraid of heights?

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
Here's how I would approach this: what is you and your husband's combined hourly pay rate (none of my business), but it help value your time.  You need to include your time because someone needs to man the bottom of the ladder as a safety precaution.  If the total time it would take you two to do the painting multiplied by your hourly rate is more than what the painter quoted you, go with the painter.  Otherwise, have at it.  Also, will your Ugandan find the work enjoyable?  I love DIY as much as anyone, but I've done enough shit around my house (and growing up with my old man when I had no real choice in the matter) to know what I like doing myself and what I'll happily outsource to a professional.

I say go with the painter; $400 for a licensed painter to do the work sounds fair to me.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
If you are asking a bunch of strangers on internet if you should send your hubby up a ladder, maybe your sixth sense is trying to tell you something.

$400 is nothing compare to the medical cost of falling from a ladder, plus then you still need to pay someone to finish the job. Unless then you decide to go up the ladder :)

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »
Climbing a ladder to paint a single story house seems way to easy to pay someone else to do.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 02:16:58 AM »
Just painting and caulking? I'd be up the ladder myself rather than sending my husband because it's not like either activity requires great physical strength. Have him do it when you're home just in case, especially if he doesn't spend much time with ladders.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 06:22:00 AM »
If he's in watching football on TV shape, weight may be a concern as well.  The weigh rating on common extension ladders is ridiculously low.  It's a whole lot of ugliness when one of them breaks too.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »
I'd pay someone unless you have scaffolding. It's a pain to paint from a ladder. You have to move over and over again. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:49:16 AM »
If you are worried about hubby up a ladder -- well, why can't you go and paint those parts?  That part is unclear to me.

For single story -- an extension handle or roller works well, with a ladder for the peaks.   If you have a extra high wall stretch, the recommendation for scaffolding (or those folding over ladders) is excellent advice.   Often you only need another 4 feet in height to paint and caulk a single story..  Ladder can work for caulking and cutting in the top 12", if needed under the eave, then paint the rest with an extension handle.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:51:37 AM by Goldielocks »

Dmy0013

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
"you get what you pay for" is very true sometimes...

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »
I'd pay someone unless you have scaffolding. It's a pain to paint from a ladder. You have to move over and over again.

Are you kidding me?  You'd pay someone enough to buy a month's worth of groceries so you don't have to spend a few hours moving a ladder around? You deserve a facepunch.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »
I would not pay $200 to have someone do the front and then do the back yourself. make it all-or-nothing. The value of having a professional painter is that you, or your hubby, don't have to climb the ladder and introduce that risk into your life. If you split the job in half, you're paying out money, but still introducing the risk.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »

Are you kidding me?  You'd pay someone enough to buy a month's worth of groceries so you don't have to spend a few hours moving a ladder around? You deserve a facepunch.

Sorry, I'm not painting from an extension ladder.  I paint my interiors, which does include using a ladder, but a small one.  Moving an extension ladder is difficult, and climbing one can be dangerous. Many people over-reach when using these ladders, which high up is alos extremely dangerous.

$400 is not a lot of money at all. 

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 07:06:04 AM »
The issue I have with extension ladders is that most of them suck.  The one that I had sketched me out really bad and I hated using it. It actually broke when I let me neighbor use it, thankfully he was ~1 foot off the ground and wasn't hurt when it broke.  I bought a nicer a-frame ladder that's obviously not as tall, and its way more secure feeling.  I can't reach my gutters on the back of my house though with the A-frame. 

If I had a pro-quality extension ladder, I'd do the work myself.  If I had a shitty aluminum one like I used to have, I'd pay the contractor to do it, $400 is about what a good extension ladder costs.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »
So, I would use the ladder and do it yourself, but i would be EXTRA cautious when doing it. I personally know 2 people that have died at their homes from falling off a ladder (ice damn in the winter - looks like ladder slipped on their front walk, and another was trimming a tree in his yard because his daughter was getting married there within a few weeks). My uncle fell off a ladder measuring for gutters in front of his friend's house and ended up with a severe TBI and in a coma for ~4ish months, and it has now been 1.5 years later and he still can't function as an independent adult. Ladders are not good.

So, with all that said, we probably all know people who get in car accidents and die too - but that doesn't stop us. So, I would not pay the $400, but I WOULD be extra cautious with the ladder. Wear a helmet - you might think you look stupid, but it could save your life. Wear a helmet.

Move the ladder frequently, and ensure it's stability, and hold the ladder for your husband while he is on it so it doesn't fall. Do not let him reach far out so you don't need to move the ladder as often. It may take an extra 10 minutes of climbing up and down the ladder if you don't reach out as far, but you'll be far more stable. You might get bored holding the bottom of the ladder for him for hours, but think of how much more work you'll have to do if he dies or ends up paralyzed. Hold the ladder for him.

This is maybe less of a concern/possibility when on a ladder, but whenever i'm on the roof doing something (cleaning gutters, trimming trees,etc) I always try to think of an exit strategy if i fall. Sometimes there isn't a good one, but if you're going to fall, i would rather not land on a pointy lawn ornament 25 feet below me, and rather into a nice soft bush (or, "roll left, you'll fall 5 feet to another part of your roof, instead of 30 feet to your death). I've never had the pleasure of falling off my roof, so i'm not sure how likely it is that in my descent i can maneuver somewhere (or tumbling down my steep shingles) other than where gravity wants me to go, but i always think of an exit strategy - maybe it just makes me feel better, not sure.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
This is really hard to say without knowing your husband.  It might be completely silly to even consider spending the extra money, or it might make all the sense in the world.  You'll know better than anyone here (so will he).  If he's (legitimately) concerned for his safety, don't do it.  That's my only real input.

Should my then-85-years-old (now 97) grandpa have gone up on his roof and installed a skylight in his kitchen himself?  Yes, he absolutely should have and he did an amazing job.  Should everyone's 85-year-old grandpa do that? Hell no.  Should my 28-year-old brother-in-law? Hell no.

frugalmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »
I guess I don't understand why if your painting the house....he has to go up the ladder. (I don't care, just something to think about).

If I offered you $400 to paint the peaks would you do it?  or want him to do it?  I like to look at things from both perspectives. 

These are questions I would ask any stranger who presented this question.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
Good friends husband fell off a 1st story ladder and got a compound leg fracture that has required multiple surgeries, lots of pain, will require a total joint in replacement in a few years in his 30s - 40s, and a huge decrease in quality of life. Had he fallen the other direction he would have died. You know your husbands ability / agility, and you are here questioning whether he should do it. I think you know your answer.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »

Sorry, I'm not painting from an extension ladder.  I paint my interiors, which does include using a ladder, but a small one.  Moving an extension ladder is difficult, and climbing one can be dangerous. Many people over-reach when using these ladders, which high up is alos extremely dangerous.

Oh yeah, it's extremely difficult.  You have to climb down.  Slide it to the side.  And then climb back up again.  How often can a human being expect to be able to climb 8-10 rungs of a ladder up and down without collapsing into a puddle of sweat and tears?  2, maybe 3?

I have no idea how some of you even get dressed in the morning without paying live-in help.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 05:29:46 PM »

Oh yeah, it's extremely difficult.  You have to climb down.  Slide it to the side.  And then climb back up again.  How often can a human being expect to be able to climb 8-10 rungs of a ladder up and down without collapsing into a puddle of sweat and tears?  2, maybe 3?

I have no idea how some of you even get dressed in the morning without paying live-in help.

What extension ladder is 8 rungs? That's absurd.  8-10 rungs to get to the top of a house? Um, how far apart are those things? 

I just looked at it- it's 28 rungs. And heavy. I'm 5'0" tall; my reach off the side of a ladder isn't exactly long.  I don't paint from an extension ladder. I'm sure there are ways to hook up the paint can as well, but there certainly is nowhere to set it.

I'll use a step ladder (you know, the kind with a top that a paint can could sit on).  But that will just barely allow me to get to my lower roof line- still a lot of house above it.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 06:08:40 PM »

What extension ladder is 8 rungs? That's absurd.  8-10 rungs to get to the top of a house? Um, how far apart are those things? 

I just looked at it- it's 28 rungs. And heavy. I'm 5'0" tall; my reach off the side of a ladder isn't exactly long.  I don't paint from an extension ladder. I'm sure there are ways to hook up the paint can as well, but there certainly is nowhere to set it.

I'll use a step ladder (you know, the kind with a top that a paint can could sit on).  But that will just barely allow me to get to my lower roof line- still a lot of house above it.

Protip:  Don't climb all the way to the top.

So because you have to climb 16-18 rungs instead of 8-10, therefore pay someone $400?  Pretty terrible mustachian logic right there.  Here, let me amend my original statement:

Quote from: Eric
How often can a human being expect to be able to climb 8-10 16-18 rungs of a ladder up and down without collapsing into a puddle of sweat and tears?  2, maybe 3?

Better?

And you're the one painting the house?  Because it doesn't seem like you started the thread, so whether or not you paint from an extension ladder is pretty inconsequential.  It's not that hard, especially on a single story.  It's not like you're 30 feet off the ground.  I'm sure freeatlast could handle it.  Her husband could handle it.  Or basically anyone who tried could handle it.

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
Thanks all! I was thinking DH should go up because he is almost a foot taller than me (and he's a better caulker), so he wouldn't have to go that extra step. But, y'all are right - I should be going up since it's my project. I work out and have pretty good balance. I've done all the rest of the house. The pro painter is super cool and understands that we are going to make an attempt and if it is doesn't feel safe, he's still willing to do the job.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
Here's how I would approach this: what is you and your husband's combined hourly pay rate (none of my business), but it help value your time.  You need to include your time because someone needs to man the bottom of the ladder as a safety precaution.  If the total time it would take you two to do the painting multiplied by your hourly rate is more than what the painter quoted you, go with the painter.  Otherwise, have at it.  Also, will your Ugandan find the work enjoyable?  I love DIY as much as anyone, but I've done enough shit around my house (and growing up with my old man when I had no real choice in the matter) to know what I like doing myself and what I'll happily outsource to a professional.

I say go with the painter; $400 for a licensed painter to do the work sounds fair to me.

This is the best typo/autocorrect I have ever seen.  :)

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »
You and your husbands should work as a team someone should hold the ladder and spot for the person on the ladder.

pjm123a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »
I have a 2 story house and have never been totally comfortable with extension ladders although I have used them lots of time. As I've gotten older (now 62) my wife is driving me crazy every time I haul out the ladder. What I now do is to build scaffolding out of stock lengths of 2x4's and plywood. These can be re-used for various parts of the house and I feel much more secure on them. Using an impact driver and screws helps the scaffolding go up and down much faster.  Since I am going to this trouble I always make it a point to give these high areas 2 coats of paint and fix any minor issues as well as caulking. Your mileage may vary but this works for me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:24:47 AM by pjm123a »

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »
I personally know 2 people that have died at their homes from falling off a ladder (ice damn in the winter - looks like ladder slipped on their front walk, and another was trimming a tree in his yard because his daughter was getting married there within a few weeks). My uncle fell off a ladder measuring for gutters in front of his friend's house and ended up with a severe TBI and in a coma for ~4ish months, and it has now been 1.5 years later and he still can't function as an independent adult. Ladders are not good.

Exactly the reasons I don't mess with ladders and high places. It really puts the $400 in perspective.

You might get bored holding the bottom of the ladder for him for hours, but think of how much more work you'll have to do if he dies or ends up paralyzed. Hold the ladder for him.

Make sure the ladder is properly set up -- proper angle, a bit of trenching if the ground isn't level, perhaps one of the ladder support systems you can buy. There are some good YouTube videos showing how to set up a ladder safely. Stuff most people never think about.

I've never had the pleasure of falling off my roof, so i'm not sure how likely it is that in my descent i can maneuver somewhere (or tumbling down my steep shingles) other than where gravity wants me to go, but i always think of an exit strategy - maybe it just makes me feel better, not sure.

Not likely at all. Look at real-life accidents on LiveLeak.com or similar sites. Most of the time people are dead before they ever realize they've fallen/been hit by a bus/been crushed by a wall etc. One moment you're there, the next you're not.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
I would personally rent some scaffolding and do it myself most likely.

But I have never been one to pay someone else to do things that I can do myself. 

As others have noted, painting off a ladder sucks.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 05:42:36 AM »
is this thread a joke?  i cant believe some of the responses we're getting here.

first why arent you asking him if he is even interested in doing this instead of internet strangers.

second why couldnt you climb the ladder if he isnt interested in doing it

third this forum should be ashamed of itself at these responses.  this isnt a soft feel good forum its a forum about DIYing and saving money etc.  the answer from the forum should have been:

one talk to your husband to see if he wants to do it
two if he does you're done
three if he doesnt get him to move the ladder for you and you climb it
four if there is some physical disablity preventing this from happening then consider the painter.

John123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
One of my biggest nightmares is one day I'll be too old to do all the things I currently DIY and have to pay someone.  In my 40 plus years I have never payed an auto mechanic, a painter, plumber, or electrician.  Paying a contractor to avoid climbing a ladder for a single story home at age 46 is shameful.  My dad is 78 and can still climb ladders and do his own work.  You guys are giving up way too early.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »
My husband and I are in our 50s. We love bicycling, hiking in the mountains, gardening, and we are very active. We have a limited number of years where we'll be strong enough to do those things at the level we enjoy. NFW am I risking the loss of one minute of those things I love for the sake of $400.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
I must not be mustachian enough...

I wouldnt even be painting the house in the first place.   In my area painting is incredibly cheap,  to each their own.

Also to the person that said their 78 year relative still climbs a ladder, thats great.    One fall and that could potentially be the end of them. . . for what? To save money cleaning gutters?

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
I would happily fork out the money. It is about safety.

Few years ago my hb wanted to cut down some palm trees (involving an extension ladder and a chainsaw), which sounded so scary that I happily paid 3 guys 400$, to do the work. No regrets.sometimes you just have to know what to outsource.

I agree completely.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
I must not be mustachian enough...

I wouldnt even be painting the house in the first place.   In my area painting is incredibly cheap,  to each their own.

Also to the person that said their 78 year relative still climbs a ladder, thats great.    One fall and that could potentially be the end of them. . . for what? To save money cleaning gutters?

Exactly. There's a big difference between what you "can" do and what you "should" do.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
third this forum should be ashamed of itself at these responses.  this isnt a soft feel good forum its a forum about DIYing and saving money etc.  the answer from the forum should have been:

one talk to your husband to see if he wants to do it
two if he does you're done
three if he doesnt get him to move the ladder for you and you climb it
four if there is some physical disablity preventing this from happening then consider the painter.

100% with you, boarder42! 

My husband has spent the past 4 weekends up a ladder stripping and painting our porch.  I also painted. I will comment that you should allocate a good long time to do this project. Nothing more annoying than setting up all the dropcloths and tools, realizing you only have 30 minutes to paint, then having to put all the stupid tools back again.  Also weather is a consideration... if you need this done on a schedule, you may find that there aren't enough sunny weekends to get it done in time.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
I would personally rent some scaffolding and do it myself most likely.

But I have never been one to pay someone else to do things that I can do myself. 

As others have noted, painting off a ladder sucks.

I've painted several houses off a ladder, didn't think it was too bad.  Don't know anyone that has ever fallen off a ladder either (and I spent a few years on the construction industry).

Scaffolding on the other hand, that I'm afraid of.  I was doing a ceiling about 25 feet up when the scaffolding went down.  I rode it part way down and then bailed out.  Quite the impact feet first.  Bruised my feet so badly I could barely hobble around for a couple weeks.  Knocked the air right out of me too.  If that happened to me today, 20 years late, I'm sure I'd have broken bones.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
I'm in the process of (slowly) painting my house, inside and out. This includes all ceilings, trim, and walls. I'm doing all the interior work except for the stairwell ceiling and walls. My balance isn't good, and I've already fallen over backwards painting a ceiling, so working on the stairs is not safe for me. I will have to hire a painter for that area.

The exterior is harder. On the house, it's just around the windows and doors, which helps. But it's 2 stories, and even the 1st floor windows would require the big ladder. I'm not strong enough to move that ladder (tried), plus I have some major issues with heights and I would prefer that the fire department not get called to come pluck me off a ladder and put me on the ground. So really, I can do the doors and 3 of the windows that are low enough. The rest I'm going to have to hire a painter.

The garage is wood, and I'm doing that myself. (Other than hiring a guy to help me fix it, since the sill plate was gone on 2 sides and one corner was hanging in mid air and that's beyond me.)

On the other hand, if anyone in the Chicago area is willing to come paint these areas for pizza and beer, I'm good with that. PM me. :)

Having the ladder fall over and smush me is not a good use of my time or money.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 05:27:17 AM »
Is there any reason you're not going there yourself? The same reason could/probably should extend to your husband seeing how he didn't have special qualifications.

Seems kind of odd to me that you're talking about that decision like you're the one making it while he would be the one up the ladder.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
About 15 years ago I painted our second story windows off an extension ladder.   I now shudder to recall trying to reach the far edge of the window while standing on a ladder 15 feet in the air.  Didn't fall, but never again.   I hire someone to do that stuff.

If you really have to go up a ladder, make sure it's a good ladder.