Author Topic: Selling the silver  (Read 2529 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Selling the silver
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »
My husband brought home a set of real silver from cleaning out his mother's house.  I will never use it.  I'm wondering if there's any value in selling it?

It seems to me there was a story or link somewhere here a long time ago about a place you could sell precious metals.  Anyone have the link?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Selling the silver
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:07:22 PM »
Depends upon if it is solid or silver plate. You'd have to take it to someone in your area who deals in similar sets and see what they think.  Good luck!

Mirwen

• Stubble

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »

Looks like silver is down since that MMM post. Why not use the silver for a while and see where prices go? I use my grams silver everyday, love it, but I'm keeping an eye on silver now.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »
The Midwest Refineries place MMM recommended seems like a fine option if you're just looking to recoup the melt value of your set. If the silverware is in good shape you may be able to do better on eBay, since finished goods are often worth more than base metals.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 07:08:57 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Now I'll start the work of getting my husband to sentimentally part with it.

@SeattleCyclone - Are you the ISU grad?  I'm not a grad, but my family has lots of ties to ISU.  We're huge ISU fans (mostly basketball).  Also, we're seriously considering retiring to Ames.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!