Author Topic: Selling Photos I've Taken: Where is the Best Place to Start?  (Read 4919 times)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Selling Photos I've Taken: Where is the Best Place to Start?
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »
I have recently discovered MMM and have introduced my hubby to it, as well. We're both on board and are investigating ways to generate some extra income. I'm limited in what I can do because I'm currently on LTD from my law job (I have income replacement, thank God). My hubby is looking for: a higher paying permanent job and some side gig work to bring in extra cash.

The reason for this is that I have taken a lot of photos over the past several years, including photos from a mission trip I took to Africa. I think the pictures are pretty good, but I may be biased, although some were published in a regional magazine along with a piece I wrote about the trip. At any rate, I'm looking to try to send some of my best photos somewhere to hopefully earn some royalties.  I know Getty Images buys them/pays royalties, but I'm not sure the photos are that good. What are my other options? photos.com? Anywhere else? Any specific experiences with these places?

Also, my pictures of people do not come with signed model releases, so not sure how that impacts anything. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Selling Photos I've Taken: Where is the Best Place to Start?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »
Istockphoto.com (owned by Getty)
Shutterstock.com

Are the big two. Pretty much anybody can submit photos to these sites. My uncle in The Netherlands does this and the income earned easily pays for all his new camera equipment.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Thanks!

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
It there a local coffee shop or community space that you could post and sell hard copies of your work?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
Huh, never thought about it. Maybe. Mostly Starbucks around here, but I know there are some smaller, independent coffee shops. Thanks for the suggestion.

wiferkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • WTF? (In The World)
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:08:36 AM »
Take a look at Zazzle.com.  It was recommended to me by a friend who's a professional photographer.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
If you don't have releases, you're setting yourself up for liability, and stock agencies will not accept your images without them.

Try local art fairs?

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »
If you don't have releases, you're setting yourself up for liability, and stock agencies will not accept your images without them.

Try local art fairs?

That's why i recommended the shops and spaces...with hard copies, there is significantly less worry, as there are that many fewer copies with limited application. That's not to say no worry! There's still a chance someone will see it and not be happy.

If you can find some of your subjects there seem to be many options for pre-writen forms...
https://www.google.com/search?q=model+release+form&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

It's a good idea to carry around several copies with you when you shot and get into the habit of making people sign them. An easy, "i'm a working artist and am trying to get published..." sounds nice and most people are happy to help. :)

ThatGuyFromCanada

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.jonathanneufeld.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
There is lots of good info on this in the "Business of" section over at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
The consensus there seems to be that it is a tough thing to accomplish and that photography is mostly a "service" business. However, there are many people that are successful at it.