Author Topic: Selling on craigslist  (Read 2695 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
Selling on craigslist
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
Hi all,

Those of you who sell on craigslist, at what point is this becomes a declarable business?  I understand that selling one of two household items is not a business, but what is?  Is it dependent on volume (number of transactions)?  Frequency of transactions? 
What support do you need to support it?

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
Re: Selling on craigslist
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »
Hi all,

Those of you who sell on craigslist, at what point is this becomes a declarable business?  I understand that selling one of two household items is not a business, but what is?  Is it dependent on volume (number of transactions)?  Frequency of transactions? 
What support do you need to support it?

I should say that as long as you are selling household stuff that you actually (usually?) paid more for than you are getting back, you don't have a business.  You're not making money, anyway.  If, on the other hand, you get into the groove of buying and selling so that you are ending up with more cash than it cost you to acquire stuff, then you are generating a profit and need to start worrying about your question.  How much to worry would depend on how much (gross) profit you would be generating.

Good luck.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:03:03 AM »
I think it is a business when you are showing a profit.  So, if you are reselling your own possessions which depreciate in value, you are not making money, but if you are scouring yard sales and reselling those items at a markup that covers your expenses and gives a profit, then it could be considered taxable income.  Likely your jurisdiction will have thresholds for which you must register as a business for sales tax purposes, instead of just claiming the profits as personal income.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
How does one make "selling on Craiglist" a business? o.O  Selling on eBay, I can understand, but Craigslist is filled with bums and lowballers.  "Hey, I saw you're asking $200 for that, but will you take $20?  I can make payments!!!"

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 01:39:38 PM »
craigslist is a joke

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!