Author Topic: Selling old iPhone  (Read 2658 times)

Baylor3217

• Bristles
Selling old iPhone
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
I have an old iPhone I haven't used in a year or so.  A couple of questions:

1) what is the best way to sell it?  Craigslist?  Some site that specializes in buying these phones?

2) how much could I get for an iPhone 3?

3) Any concerns about the data that was on it before?  How does one wipe it so the next person can't get to any personal data?

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Selling old iPhone
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
You are talking about the original iPhone?  If so its not worth much.  I sold an iphone 3gs last year and got like $50 for it.

I'd do craigslist, since there are no fees and you can do a cash only deal. Or maybe Swappa which you will pay $10 to them + paypal fees.  Ebay would be great for convenience and lots of buyers but you'll pay for the convenience through ebay fees.

As far as erasing the data is concerned, I think you should be able to restore it to factory condition through Itunes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:45:39 AM by kevin78 »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
1) Craigslist or Ebay.

2) If it's a 3G model, not much... it's end of life. If it's a 3GS, maybe around $75 depending on battery condition.

3) Yes, but only if you sell it to a spy. Just follow the instructions.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:12:01 AM by I.P. Daley »

Koshka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
I had some iPhones that I sold last year (we moved to a house where our ATT phones wouldn't work).  I sold the first on eBay which was OK but a little bit of a hassle.  Then I found out I could sell for almost the same net amount on Amazon, getting a gift card in return.  I suggest checking Amazon and and the other places that will buy electronics.  The amount may seem less than eBay but after considering costs of sale it worked out basically the same.