Author Topic: Selling Gift Cards  (Read 7842 times)

terran

• Magnum Stache
Selling Gift Cards
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »
I'm looking into selling some gift cards we're unlikely to use and looking at http://www.giftcardgranny.com/ selling directly to a reseller usually comes out ahead of selling on our own direct to a buyer after commissions. ABC Gift Cards or Cardpool usually seem to be at or near the top for the cards we're thinking about selling -- I'd probably go with Cardpool only because I've heard about it before even though for some they offer a bit less. Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with these or other resellers?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Selling Gift Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
I've sold thousands of dollars in gift cards (for profit - I buy these at a nice discount) to CardCash (which is the parent company of ABC gift cards, or vice versa). Always gotten prompt payment after delivery via PayPal (you can choose other options as well - check or ACH iirc).
I've sold a couple times to Cardpool and had good experiences with them too.

I recommend www.giftcardwiki.com as a comparison tool. It has a much better interface, and gives you some history

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
Great, thanks! Good to know they're both reputable. Do you do anything special in terms of insurance or packaging when you mail them in, or just pop 'em in a regular envelope?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 12:44:23 PM »
I've been told both from resellers and bloggers that you shouldn't just chuck the gift cards in an envelope - they tend to slide around and sometimes rip the envelope open. If you want to use a normal envelope, tape them to a piece of paper.

I like to ship with tracking and signature upon delivery in a bubble wrap envelope (I have plenty of these from random things I've bought in the past). The tracking will cost you $2.xx instead of your typical 49 cent stamp. The signature will add another~$2.
The tracking and signature confirmation will help you in case they claim they never received your gift cards. I think it's pretty cheap insurance but it really depends on how much in gift cards you're selling and your own temperament as to whether you think this is worth it or not.
If you want the tracking (and the signature confirmation) just Google PayPal USPS label.

I recommend taking photos or scans of your gift cards before sending them in. Apparently gift card issuers can replace them for you if you lose them and provide proof you owned them (they will invalidate those gift card numbers and send you new ones).

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:53:32 PM »
Awesome tips! Thanks! I feel fully prepared now :-)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
Haha no problem.

Maybe next time you can ask for some better gift cards. Or some better gifts ;)

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »
Cardpool usually offers the best payout for the cards I sell, and they process everything quickly. Your payment options, unless something has recently changed, are either check or Amazon gift card; the checks arrive within a few days but PayPal would be a convenient addition.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Haha no problem.

Maybe next time you can ask for some better gift cards. Or some better gifts ;)

Well, yes that would be ideal :-)

These are mostly from gifts we returned actually. One of those tough balancing acts between hurting feelings and keeping things we won't use.

Cardpool usually offers the best payout for the cards I sell, and they process everything quickly. Your payment options, unless something has recently changed, are either check or Amazon gift card; the checks arrive within a few days but PayPal would be a convenient addition.

Thanks! Yeah, Cardpool and ABC Giftcards seem to be near the top for everything and they kind of flipflop on which is better for various cards we've had sitting around. It looks like Cardpool adds 6% if you take payment in Amazon gift cards, which would make them the clear winner if we decide we want anything at amazon.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:39:43 PM by terran »

Josh2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »
I sold numerous gift cards to various exchanges including Cardpool, GiftCardRescue, SaveYa etc over the last few years. In my experience the cash back rates for sell gift cards vary by each gift card exchange and sometimes vary through out the day. The easiest way to check is to visit gift card aggregator web sites like GiftCardPlace.com.

Here is the direct link to their sell gift cards page - http://www.giftcardplace.com/sell-gift-cards
If you want to by discounted gift cards, here is the direct link - http://www.giftcardplace.com/buy-gift-cards

Also to check your gift card balances, I recommend http://www.mrbalancecheck.com

Goodluck with your sales. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 05:49:42 PM »
A few weeks ago I tried Raise and that was very straightforward but more time-consuming than Cardpool. I submitted my cards on January 7th (they were physical cards but I didn't have to mail them in; Raise only wanted the numbers) and they posted to the site on January 21st. They sold within two days and I was paid via PayPal three days later.

https://www.raise.com/