Author Topic: Selling beater van  (Read 2401 times)

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Selling beater van
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »
My parents left an old beater van here that wasn't worth driving back across country. It doesn't have a title and the registration is expired. It is pretty beat up, but the transmission is fairly new. 2005 town and country, 150k miles.

I called a junkyard and they said I needed the title for them to take it. It seems like such a waste, is there anything I can do? Anyway to sell it for at least a couple hundred?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Selling beater van
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
You cannot sell it without a title.

Maybe  a chop shop :-)

Just kidding!!!

jwood83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
How bad of shape is it in? If it runs from point A to point B, it may be worth investigating if a local title person can help you obtain the title to sell.

I've bought a few cars to flip without the title. There's a guy here that specializes in getting all the paperwork done, and usually can do it for about $100 a vehicle, and you will get a replacement title. I'm sure with the old registration and paperwork, it wouldn't be too big of a hassle. If it's worth looking into, call a used car dealer and they can likely refer you to someone that can help.

Give it a good cleaning, maybe a tuneup, and you could make some money off of it.

If it's in really bad shape, like slung a rod, eh ... post it on craigslist and see if you get any takers As-Is? I believe each state is different on how to prepare a bill of sale with no title, so I'd be extra careful of writing one out.

shuellmi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »
Just go to the sos and get a new title, should be no big deal.  Cost me 50 and a couple hours a few years ago

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
Call your local DMV and confirm that it is OK to sell a vehicle with just a bill of sale.  Advertise the van on craigslist "as is, no title, sold with bill of sale only".  You won't get much, but you'll be able to get rid of it.  Make two copies of a generic bill of sale, make sure to put the date and time on it, names and addresses of both buyer and seller, mileage on the odometer, the VIN, etc.  You get one copy, the buyer gets the other. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
you can sell it for parts only with no title and a bill of sale.