Author Topic: Selling a Vehicle to a private seller on Craigslist  (Read 2584 times)

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
Selling a Vehicle to a private seller on Craigslist
« on: November 18, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
I have sold a hand full of vehicles in the past on Craigslist. Almost every sale took less than a week or two but the highest cost vehicle was 17k and the cheapest being like 2k.

the 4 runner we plan to sell is Kelly Blue Book about 30k private. has anyone had experience selling a semi expensive vehicle?

is this going to sit for a long time in your opinion before finding the right buyer? I ask because I need to coordinate the next purchase as best as I can and I am wanting to take advantage of a great deal on a 2011 Prius. I own a 2005 prius and got it from the same seller (as this 2011) and i cannot have made a better purchase a few years ago.

any advice would be highly appreciated.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Selling a Vehicle to a private seller on Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
Unless you price it very competitively, imo, it will sit quite a while to sell for a cash buyer.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »
If you're in a hurry, check out CarMax or similar. You won't get as much but it'll be faster.

And a lot less "Your asking $30k do you take payments I can give you $20/week..."

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:13:35 PM »
The buyer is more than likely going to need financing at that price.  The good news is 4Runners are very sought after vehicles.  I would consider listing it on eBay.  If you market it well I'm sure you could get your desired price.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »
Just like everything, it is all about supply and demand. At that price, most likely the buyer need some financing, and that may delay the process (I am guessing here, never sell cars at that price).

If you are willing to let it go a bit lower than market price, it may sell faster. You may even prioritize buyer that pay cash vs buyer who need to get financing. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
Unless you price it very competitively, imo, it will sit quite a while to sell for a cash buyer.

You don't need a cash buyer to sell privately.  I happen to have a $15k check from a credit union sitting on my desk that was for a (private party) vehicle purchase I decided not to make. It's a little more involved than cash, of course, but given a buyer with an ability to obtain financing it's not remotely difficult.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »

You don't need a cash buyer to sell privately.  I happen to have a $15k check from a credit union sitting on my desk that was for a (private party) vehicle purchase I decided not to make. It's a little more involved than cash, of course, but given a buyer with an ability to obtain financing it's not remotely difficult.

A HELOC purchase is just the same as a cash buyer, to the seller, no difference.  So "Cash buyer".
I guess someone could get a car loan through a bank, like in the old days (circa 1990's)... I just don't know anyone that does that anymore!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:44:12 PM »

A HELOC purchase is just the same as a cash buyer, to the seller, no difference.  So "Cash buyer".
I guess someone could get a car loan through a bank, like in the old days (circa 1990's)... I just don't know anyone that does that anymore!

I know a lot of people who do.  Unless your HELOC rate is less than 3%, you'd be foolish not to.