Author Topic: Selling a Phone Number  (Read 4300 times)

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
Selling a Phone Number
« on: October 10, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »
Would like the Mustachian Community's opinion:

I have a phone # where the last 4 digits are the same #. Is that worth any money and can I sell my phone #?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling a Phone Number
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 05:28:11 AM »
Not related, but noticed your sig at a BofA ATM the other day. Was totally floored!

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 05:41:03 AM »
On a Norwegian site that sells so called "Golden numbers" (private persons can sell their number through the site) numbers thats ends with 4 same digits are priced at $1000-3000. I do not know how easy it is to sell where you are, but its certaintly worth a try. A buddy of mine sold his number about three years ago for an amazing $10 000! He had put the number out for sale just for fun to see, and didnt really think he was getting to get anything for it. (But it took quit a bit of time, I think it was out for 6-8 months before any response and he said he had almost forgotten all about it).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »
On a Norwegian site that sells so called "Golden numbers" (private persons can sell their number through the site) numbers thats ends with 4 same digits are priced at $1000-3000. I do not know how easy it is to sell where you are, but its certaintly worth a try. A buddy of mine sold his number about three years ago for an amazing $10 000! He had put the number out for sale just for fun to see, and didnt really think he was getting to get anything for it. (But it took quit a bit of time, I think it was out for 6-8 months before any response and he said he had almost forgotten all about it).

That's crazy.  When I read OP's post I thought: have we gone too far?  Selling your phone # for a few extra bucks?  But four figures is definitely worth it.
Not related, but noticed your sig at a BofA ATM the other day. Was totally floored!

Why would this floor you?  Do you really think they are going to design and run a separate manufacturing line just for drive-up ATM control panels?  Plus, sometimes blind people are passengers.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »
Would like the Mustachian Community's opinion:

I have a phone # where the last 4 digits are the same #. Is that worth any money and can I sell my phone #?

Thanks for any help in advance.
I've thought about this too.  I have a great phone number:  xxx-yyyz . (where y=x+1). 
I have no idea how to go about this, but I would be willing to let it sit for months if I could get $10,000 for it. 
My sister has one that is:  xxx-xyxy. 
Where were you thinking of advertising this? 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »
Humans tend to see patterns.  And there's a lot of them out there.

One of our numbers is 702-703-704-5 (added that extra dash for fun!).  Meh?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »
Humans tend to see patterns.  And there's a lot of them out there.

One of our numbers is 702-703-704-5 (added that extra dash for fun!).  Meh?

At least I could remember that.  I don't know my wife's number, so I'd be in trouble if I ever needed to make bail without my phone.  Really should do something about that :-P

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »
LOL, I always ask for numbers with patterns. It's the only way I can remember them. Not interested in selling any of them now that I can remember what they are.

Sayyadina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »
We were only able to pick our last four digits, but you can bet that they were part of a fibonacci sequence. It makes me very happy every time I have to give it out. It's like a little secret that most people don't catch on to.