Author Topic: Disability insurance? Any recommended companies?  (Read 1995 times)

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
Disability insurance? Any recommended companies?
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »
Are there any companies you would recommend getting quotes from or any companies you'd recommend staying away from?
Obviously I'd like to get the best value. And I really wouldn't mind having quite a long period, 6 months or something, before benefits kicked in. I'm not completely sure what I would be looking for or what I would expect to pay for a policy.

My husband has a policy that he was able to keep after leaving a job, we now pay the premium of 125/month, and it covers quite a lot of things like even reimbursements for ER visits and other medical accident type things. We've used those benefits on several occasions, but I don't think I'd need or want a policy that comprehensive. Although maybe.

Looking for feedback. Thanks!

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
Re: Disability insurance? Any recommended companies?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:01:36 AM »
FWIW, I used Mass Mutual and always heard they were a good company.  The good news is I never had to file a claim, which is where the rubber really hits the road with insurance options, but I will say the cheerfully cashed all my checks!

regulator

• Bristles
Re: Disability insurance? Any recommended companies?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »
I would stick with large, well-rated mutual: NY Life, MassMutual, Northwestern Mutual, etc.  Stay away from UnumProvident.