Author Topic: Sell or Keep Clown Car  (Read 2550 times)

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
Sell or Keep Clown Car
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
Hey everyone! I was hoping to get some cost-of-use/car selling advice.

I bought a 2006 Acura RL from a used car dealer in June 2016. I paid a fair price (for a dealer-sale) for the vehicle of $9600. I paid another $900 or so in taxes, registration, and fees. Since then, I've replaced the brakes ($50) and rotors ($100). I drive my car an average of 90 miles a week. I took it in for that massive airbag recall, and the Acura dealer told me i need new tires. I took it to a tire shop, they agreed i need new tires, and long story short, my new tires are going to cost me about $1200 (there is no way around this, i know it is $$$$$$, but my car is equipped with PAX tires).

So, in the last 7.5 months of ownership, I paid $10,500 to purchase the car, $150 on repairs, and maybe $250 on gas (estimate. a lot of my gas was reimbursed through work).

Because of the tire fiasco, I put it on Craigslist for $10000 and I had two people interested, but they both offered me between 7-8k which is the about what the car is worth for private party sales.

Last week I dropped the price to $9000 thinking I'll just keep the car and get new tires if no one is willing at this price.

I have a guy coming tomorrow to look at the car. What is the lowest i should go to sell it to him and not lose-my-butt on this transaction? Or, should I just keep the car and get new tires for myself?

The car is otherwise great.

caffeine

• Stubble
Re: Sell or Keep Clown Car
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
I wouldn't be willing to sell the car unless you can break even or make a profit. Preferably a profit. Otherwise, assuming you need a car, drive it until the tires fall off. If you don't need the car and willing to accept some inconvenience, sell it.

The car has new tires. When someone is purchasing a car, buyers will only use the condition of the tires as a case to reduce the price. I'd put some miles on those tires.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »
I wouldn't be willing to sell the car unless you can break even or make a profit. Preferably a profit. Otherwise, assuming you need a car, drive it until the tires fall off. If you don't need the car and willing to accept some inconvenience, sell it.

The car has new tires. When someone is purchasing a car, buyers will only use the condition of the tires as a case to reduce the price. I'd put some miles on those tires.

I haven't changed the tires yet. I'm still driving on "bad" tires.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
This car was OEM equipped with 245/50R17 tires that you can have replaced for around $500.  Since someone put runflat PAX tires and rims on there, you'd have to replace the rims as well.  I see tire + rim packages online starting at $929 for that vehicle.  Then going forward you can replace with the standard $500 tire package.

I'd bite the bullet and order new tires and rims - who needs runflat tires at that cost!  Consider it a $429 cost to switch it back over to normal tires.  You may even be able to sell the PAX rims to recoup the cost of new rims.

So, you would keep the car, and replace the rims and tires?

Also, the car came factory original with PAX. It was stupid of Honda/Acura, but that's the way it works. Who even thinks to look at the TYPE of tires when buying a used car?!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!