Author Topic: Sell my car?  (Read 1245 times)

late_stache_bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sell my car?
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:43:58 PM »
I posted a case study r/t rent vs buy a couple days back and a reply came back with quite a bit of good info, including that I should sell my 2013 Honda CR-V with 48000 miles on it. I think he even called it "silly" that I own it! (no offense taken). The idea was to net a chunk of cash to potentially put toward a house by buying an older car. I bought it in 2014 for what I thought were good reasons, but my stache wasn't even a glimmer in my own eye at the time. It is paid off already. I'm intrigued by the idea, but would love some feedback.

What I hadn't mentioned in the case study--not wanting to include to much minutiae--was that my father-in-law keeps a 2006 Nissan pickup at our place for when he visits his condo from up North. It's here probably 7 months of the year (maybe more) and goes mostly unused. I work 4 days/wk with 36 mile round-trip commute. That equals 7,488 miles/year and I probably get up to 10,000 because I don't drive much otherwise.

My question is if I were to just use the truck (and whatever other car/truck he keeps here in the future) twice a week and cut the miles down to 6,000-6,500 on my car, would it be worth it to keep the newer and paid off CR-V since it's I know it's a good vehicle with reasonable mileage, it would take another 8-9 years to reach even 100,000 miles and might retain nice value? OR, am I just a silly newbie and that's even more reason to sell and buy a 2008 Civic (or similar) right this second???

Thanks in advance for the advice!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:06:39 PM by late_stache_bloomer »