Author Topic: Self-inflicted car damage - I'm such an IDIOT!  (Read 27420 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: Self-inflicted car damage - I'm such an IDIOT!
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
Nicely fixed, jplee!  Are you going to keep the patchwork look?  I kind of like it -- makes it a very distinctive "I can fix my own shit so there" MMM-mobile.  Not QUITE as distinctive as the plywood door look, but in a good way.....

Thanks guys. LOL I'm tempted to leave the colors as they are. And while it's pretty ugly, I do agree with your thinking :D

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »
Nicely fixed, jplee!  Are you going to keep the patchwork look?  I kind of like it -- makes it a very distinctive "I can fix my own shit so there" MMM-mobile.  Not QUITE as distinctive as the plywood door look, but in a good way.....

haha thanks. i think i'd like to get it painted eventually... on that note, i got in touch with a guy of CL who offered to do the paintwork on the door and fender (matching and blending) and maybe help with minor adjustments to the door to get it aligned better for around $300

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/aos/5111126118.html

Is it worth it?

Drove the car to work for the first time in a long time and I felt pretty self-conscious about the mismatched colors LOL! Oh yea, I started a whole other thread about the battery being drained too... ended up buying a noco charger for $10 and was able to restore the battery back to [seemingly] normal operation (hopefully it'll last a bit longer)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
This thread is exactly why I love this forum. Problem, advice, awesome update, inspirational work saving money and learning new skills.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
This thread is exactly why I love this forum. Problem, advice, awesome update, inspirational work saving money and learning new skills.

Between the help/encouragement I got here and from the Toyota Nation forums, I think I would have ended up spending a lot more money than I already have. I think to date, I've spent $80~ between the battery charger, the fender, and the door. And I hope to sell some parts that I stripped from the other door and reclaim a little back.

Of course, time is money too, and I probably let this thing sit for so long that if I were to count that time in dollars....well, I won't :D Of course, this did force me to ride my bike into work which I guess is also good :)

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
I just saw the thread, but I was going to suggest you weld the old door in place and enter the vehicle Dukes of Hazzard style.  Throw a coat of orange paint on it and get a confederate flag (I hear South Carolina government has some for sale cheap).

Your fix was good though.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
I just saw the thread, but I was going to suggest you weld the old door in place and enter the vehicle Dukes of Hazzard style.  Throw a coat of orange paint on it and get a confederate flag (I hear South Carolina government has some for sale cheap).

Your fix was good though.

LOL, I might get in trouble here in LA. Or they'll just mistaken my car for the replica.

Next 'project' might be to look into replacing the AC Compressor. Except, I'm not sure I really want to deal with draining the antifreeze and all that jazz - seems like it's one of those jobs best left to a mechanic, unless I have a coolant recycler :T

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 08:55:35 PM »

LOL, I might get in trouble here in LA. Or they'll just mistaken my car for the replica.

Next 'project' might be to look into replacing the AC Compressor. Except, I'm not sure I really want to deal with draining the antifreeze and all that jazz - seems like it's one of those jobs best left to a mechanic, unless I have a coolant recycler :T

Might want to leave that for a mechanic since A/C compressors and systems don't use antifreeze :-)

Besides, to do it right you would need a vacuum pump.  I actually have three and would give you one if you were local...they will probably end up in the dump when we move.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 09:10:51 PM »

Might want to leave that for a mechanic since A/C compressors and systems don't use antifreeze :-)

Besides, to do it right you would need a vacuum pump.  I actually have three and would give you one if you were local...they will probably end up in the dump when we move.

LOL... coolant! Although, I think I would have probably caught and corrected that had I actually started researching what to do. But even then, I don't really want to mess with it so it all works out. Someone in another thread suggested the "spray bottle AC"  - fill a spray bottle with water, turn on the fan, and spray at my face. I might just have to try that hahahaha

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »
LOL... coolant!

refrigerant is the word you are looking for.  :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!