Author Topic: Seeking my ideal trifecta: mild climate, LCOL, socially liberal  (Read 38637 times)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Seeking my ideal trifecta: mild climate, LCOL, socially liberal
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
begood I'm from Northern California and too have been searching for a similar retirement area. I did lots of research and checking places out. Here are a few suggestions:

Boise Idaho
Prescott Arizona
Silver City New Mexico

These are all really good options for what you seek. Ultimately I decided to just retire where I'm from because I can afford it and can't beat the weather and lack of natural disasters. Good Luck!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
What about Savannah, Georgia? I've only been a visitor, but a good friend lives there and it seems to be pretty awesome. Its on my list.

Just be aware of the paper mill stench that can permeate the air in Savannah, and in other southern coastal cities with these paper mills. Major turnoff when I visited!

I am very familiar with that malodorous odor! It's possible my mister will nix coastal cities because of hurricane threat , which is kind of too bad, because I love the Gulf coast of Florida - Sarasota down to Naples. Fabulous winters, but stultifying summers.

I think, and I could be wrong, that the "No Gays Allowed" sign isn't something that's already happened that you could Google, but rather a trend that's troubling could actually happen, ffs. See bacchi's post below. Louisiana is the latest state to take steps in this direction - doubling down on their "right" to discriminate. If I have a choice about where to invest myself - my money, my time, my energy - I'd rather do it in a state that's not working really damn hard to codify discrimination.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:51:51 PM by begood »

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
begood I'm from Northern California and too have been searching for a similar retirement area. I did lots of research and checking places out. Here are a few suggestions:

Boise Idaho
Prescott Arizona
Silver City New Mexico

These are all really good options for what you seek. Ultimately I decided to just retire where I'm from because I can afford it and can't beat the weather and lack of natural disasters. Good Luck!

I love Prescott. My AZ cousin says prices are going up up up there too, because of an influx of Californians!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »
Yeah, I was trying to find a link to those "No Gays Allowed" signs, too mentioned upthread...

Surprised you don't know about this, considering you're close to one of those states.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=no+gays+allowed+signs

the House Speaker and the Senate Pro Tem admitted that No Gay signs would be allowed in Indiana.

True, Indiana is supposedly going to "clarify" what that new law means. Of course, there's also Oklahoma and Louisiana and Arkansas and Virginia with similar bills or laws.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »

Boise Idaho
Prescott Arizona
Silver City New Mexico

Yes, it's true. I really like it there too, but my family is in the Sacramento area and I love my house and neighbors so I'll just stay put.
I love Prescott. My AZ cousin says prices are going up up up there too, because of an influx of Californians!

TN_Steve

• Bristles
Re: Seeking the ideal trifecta: mild climate, LCOL, socially liberal
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »

If you are looking at Nashville, the areas that are cool/funky are appreciating rapidly in price right now.  One neighborhood a kilometer m/l from the downtown courthouse had a 3200 square ft. townhouse sell for slightly more than 1,000,000 last week (new luxury construction).  When I first started running through that area 6-7 years ago, people were shocked that I was stupid enough to do it after dark.  There are other options, but anything in the inner core/downtown proper is being looked at by developers to tear down and make into townhomes or condos.  The City is great though, and the airport is very user friendly.

And I don't know what to make of this:

mak1277, I was a much younger self when I lived in those conservative enclaves (true story: I lived in Memphis for 18 months before I met another Democrat), and I'm much more confident now. ....

Memphis as a whole has been consistently democratic since Crump's time in the early 20th century.  I can't find a handy list, but suspect that every mayor for the past 100 years has been a democrat.  No matter where you end up selecting, you'll want to avoid buying in an area that is so different than the rest of the City.  (I'm guessing East Side of Memphis, or one of "those" suburbs?)

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
I live near Asheville and have been so many times so I'll chime in concerning your three requirements:

Mild Climate - Check. Winters can be a little rough, but not nearly as bad as some of the higher elevations in Western NC

LCOL - Yes and no. There's plenty of food options available. There's an ALDI, Trader Joe's, regional markets, etc. Housing near the core - not cheap. Housing south and west - yes, much more affordable.

Socially Liberal - Very much so.

I love Asheville and it's definitely my favorite city in NC. A close second would be Charlotte. I'm not a huge fan of Raleigh - it's just hot and too spread out for me, though I'd live there if I was banking on a career. Overall livability goes to Asheville though.

The only problem with Asheville is the main industry I would say is tourism, which attracts retirees and drives the cost up since everyone has already figured out it is an amazing place to be. There aren't many tech or other opportunities in Asheville, so I feel like there is a huge gap between rich and poor there, which leads to other problems as you can imagine.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:50:18 PM by Ricky »

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »
We're currently living in Austin, but feel it's too damn hot in the summers and traffic is beginning to feel more and more like LA traffic, one of the reasons I left LA was to get away from the traffic. I hesitate to mention where we're headed next because I don't want others to discover it and drive up the prices before we move there, but I'll do it anyway...Ashland, OR.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »
I'm following this thread with interest. I live in California and I love the climate, but the COL is just too high to retire here. I don't mind cold or snowy winters as long as they aren't really long. But I can't tolerate extreme heat or extreme humidity (Mississippi is right out). We are kind of thinking about Colorado, though we've only been to Denver together once.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »
Yeah, I was trying to find a link to those "No Gays Allowed" signs, too mentioned upthread...

Surprised you don't know about this, considering you're close to one of those states.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=no+gays+allowed+signs

the House Speaker and the Senate Pro Tem admitted that No Gay signs would be allowed in Indiana.

True, Indiana is supposedly going to "clarify" what that new law means. Of course, there's also Oklahoma and Louisiana and Arkansas and Virginia with similar bills or laws.

This appears awful on the surface, but perhaps reality is less bad.  Here's a quote from one of the lmgtfy links, highlights added:
“You guys have said repeatedly that we shouldn’t be able to discriminate against anyone, but if you just ignore the existence of this law, can’t we already do that now? Can’t so-and-so in Richmond put a sign up and say ‘No Gays Allowed?'” she asked. “That’s not against the law, correct?”

“It would depend,” Bosma replied. “If you were in a community that had a human rights ordinance that wouldn’t be the case.”
In other words, the ability to discriminate against a non-protected class already exists (protected classes get created specifically to prevent discrimination against them).  E.g., it would also not be against the law to put up a sign and say "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" (unless long-haired freaky people are a protected class in that jurisdiction).

Fortunately, the "No Gays Allowed" signs are present more as strawmen in political fights rather than actual things in real life.

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
Here is some hard data for weather:

The dreariness index: http://us-climate.blogspot.com/2015/03/dreary-weather.html
Picture Perfect weather days: http://us-climate.blogspot.com/2015/03/picture-perfect-weather-days.html

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »

The dreariness index: http://us-climate.blogspot.com/2015/03/dreary-weather.html
Picture Perfect weather days: http://us-climate.blogspot.com/2015/03/picture-perfect-weather-days.html

It can't be right that the bulk of Alaska only goes above 60 degrees less than 10 times a year. Or does that mean that they have more 80+ degree days than I thought?

So many of the places on there that have 60 to 80 days of "Picture Perfect" weather a year also have blazing hot weather for a large portion of the spring, summer, and fall.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
In other words, the ability to discriminate against a non-protected class already exists (protected classes get created specifically to prevent discrimination against them).  E.g., it would also not be against the law to put up a sign and say "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" (unless long-haired freaky people are a protected class in that jurisdiction).

Of course.

Don't you think it's important that a state legislature has actually codified it, though? That is, if you're looking for a place to live, that would be something to consider, especially if you were gay or had gay friends? That's what this thread is about, after all. Some people may not want to live in an anti-science state, or a state that creates laws that condone discrimination.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
Fort Collins Colorado

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »
Don't you think it's important that a state legislature has actually codified it, though? That is, if you're looking for a place to live, that would be something to consider, especially if you were gay or had gay friends? That's what this thread is about, after all. Some people may not want to live in an anti-science state, or a state that creates laws that condone discrimination.
I think some fraction of ~half the people in this country live their lives in either real or feigned outrage at all of the other half.  One can find repulsive examples of humanity inhabiting any given extreme of the political map.  I can't tell whether it's the Republican pot or the Democrat kettle or vice versa.

Fortunately the population density is high enough, and the political leanings of the country closely separated enough, that one can find a good circle of friends pretty much anywhere one wants to live. 

In the very specific example of a gay couple wishing to marry, then finding a jurisdiction allowing that would be paramount.  Otherwise, I worry about the tolerance of people seeking a homogenous culture mirroring their own beliefs 100%.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2015, 06:56:01 AM »

If you are looking at Nashville, the areas that are cool/funky are appreciating rapidly in price right now.  One neighborhood a kilometer m/l from the downtown courthouse had a 3200 square ft. townhouse sell for slightly more than 1,000,000 last week (new luxury construction).  When I first started running through that area 6-7 years ago, people were shocked that I was stupid enough to do it after dark.  There are other options, but anything in the inner core/downtown proper is being looked at by developers to tear down and make into townhomes or condos.  The City is great though, and the airport is very user friendly.

And I don't know what to make of this:

mak1277, I was a much younger self when I lived in those conservative enclaves (true story: I lived in Memphis for 18 months before I met another Democrat), and I'm much more confident now. ....

Memphis as a whole has been consistently democratic since Crump's time in the early 20th century.  I can't find a handy list, but suspect that every mayor for the past 100 years has been a democrat.  No matter where you end up selecting, you'll want to avoid buying in an area that is so different than the rest of the City.  (I'm guessing East Side of Memphis, or one of "those" suburbs?)

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Democratic yes, but not socially liberal. The core city votes democratic but is largely anti-gay, anti-atheist, and generally opposed to a number of things that are socially liberal. The Democratic coalition in Memphis (excluding the suburbs) is largely comprised of a fairly large African-American community (63% of the population), which sensibly votes for the non-racist party here. In addition, the University of Memphis is a bastion of moderation and that probably is a part of the votes for Democrats. Finally there is a fairly effective Democratic machine in Memphis. Recently Memphis has been acquiring wealthier Republican suburbs and forcibly incorporating them into itself so I wonder what effect this will have on the city's politics long term.

For myself I'm looking at New Mexico for that trifecta, but I'm not sure that deserts are what you mean by mild climate.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 07:08:42 AM »
In the very specific example of a gay couple wishing to marry, then finding a jurisdiction allowing that would be paramount.  Otherwise, I worry about the tolerance of people seeking a homogenous culture mirroring their own beliefs 100%.

Nobody here (especially not me, the OP) is talking about seeking a homogeneous culture mirroring their own beliefs 100%. I've lived in more conservative (read: "not-socially-liberal") areas and I've lived in more liberal areas. Of the two, I'm more at home in the areas that skew toward the liberal end of the spectrum. So--like most of us, I imagine--when I picture where I want to retire, it's to a place where I think I'll feel comfortable. That's all.

It is all too easy to imagine NC being next on the list for these "religious freedom" laws. It's the only place I can still imagine moving to EVEN IF they codify discrimination, if only to work from the inside out to right that ship. NC is the home of my heart.

As you can tell by all the references to FEELINGS, this is an emotional topic for me.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2015, 08:01:56 AM »
There are also a lot of variations among conservatives. Traditionally, Southern conservatism was more values/Christianity based and western conservatism was more fiscally/anti-government micromanagement based. If you look at the religious affiliation numbers, Washington State is one of the least-churched states in the country. (There are certainly some loud-mouth conservative Christians around, including some in elected office, but most of their political fights seem to center around how much the Seattle area wants to spend on itself.) So maybe the more rural areas of the Northwest? Oregon has run into some problems with taxes, though, in terms of limiting taxation so much that government services are really suffering.

mjb

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
I think Asheville can be expensive because housing costs are driven up by tourism. Not sure what the availability of good-paying jobs is like, either.

I'd expand beyond Chapel Hill and think of Durham and/or Carrboro. I spent a few years in the triangle and there are lots of high-paying jobs in biotech and other fields, but still a relatively low cost of living (if you avoid rich suburbs like Cary or Apex). Very socially liberal area as well.

Definitely has mild winters good for yearlong biking. I hesitate to call the climate totally mild because the hot/humid summers are not to my liking personally.

We lived in Durham when we first married (I worked in Chapel Hill, he worked in Raleigh and we split the difference), and my dad now lives in Durham too. There are still nice neighborhoods of old mill houses that people have fixed up. Small houses, small yards, sidewalks. Very appealing. And we have friends who've found similar neighborhoods in Carrboro. Chapel Hill feels trafficky and crowded to me now, especially compared to what it was like when I was a kid in the 70s.

I work for a company based in Durham, and it's #1 on my list of places to move if I ever want to leave Chicago or Texas. It helps that I have a lot of friends there who are very excited about the city.

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2015, 10:24:30 AM »
I had never considered Oregon as a possible retirement location, but it seems like it could be a good idea for us if family location stops being a consideration. I loved the growing up in the Seattle area except for the DARK DARK winters. Seems like Oregon could be a milder alternative.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
Nobody here (especially not me, the OP) is talking about seeking a homogeneous culture mirroring their own beliefs 100%. I've lived in more conservative (read: "not-socially-liberal") areas and I've lived in more liberal areas. Of the two, I'm more at home in the areas that skew toward the liberal end of the spectrum. So--like most of us, I imagine--when I picture where I want to retire, it's to a place where I think I'll feel comfortable. That's all.

It is all too easy to imagine NC being next on the list for these "religious freedom" laws. It's the only place I can still imagine moving to EVEN IF they codify discrimination, if only to work from the inside out to right that ship. NC is the home of my heart.

As you can tell by all the references to FEELINGS, this is an emotional topic for me.
Agreed, the 100% comment was likely overkill.  And, all other things being equal, one can understand the "I'd rather live where people agree with me" mindset.

It still bothers me (yes, it's a personal thought - YMMV) that as we have become a more mobile society, some have used that mobility to self-assemble in like-minded areas - leading to more "us vs. them" perceptions.

Anyway, this is off topic for the thread so I'll stop here and wish you all the best in finding the ideal trifecta you seek.  Seems there have been many good ideas offered already - maybe you'll need multiple homes...? ;)

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »

Agreed, the 100% comment was likely overkill.  And, all other things being equal, one can understand the "I'd rather live where people agree with me" mindset.

It still bothers me (yes, it's a personal thought - YMMV) that as we have become a more mobile society, some have used that mobility to self-assemble in like-minded areas - leading to more "us vs. them" perceptions.

Anyway, this is off topic for the thread so I'll stop here and wish you all the best in finding the ideal trifecta you seek.  Seems there have been many good ideas offered already - maybe you'll need multiple homes...? ;)

Thanks, MDM! I have indeed gotten a variety of new places to research! Our mobility (we moved 5 times in 17 years) ended up taking us away from family, familiar culture, the climate we loved. I think a big part of me just wants to go "home".

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
It sounds like you are set on the East Coast, but I haven't seen much discussion of New Mexico, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

COL: pretty low in most areas, though Santa Fe and Taos are more expensive. In Albuquerque, a 2-3 BR house can range from 120k to 500k (and up) in the ritzier sections.

Climate: depends where in the state you are. I lived in Albuquerque, so I'll tell you about its climate. Summers are hot, yes, BUT because of the high elevation (4000-6000 ft) late summer evenings can get down to 60F, and mid-day temps generally hover around 80-90F. Also, almost no humidity makes it much more bearable than a hot summer on the East Coast. Winters can get cold, and it generally snows two to three times each season, with snow melting within a day. Daytime winter temps can get to 50-60F even in the middle of winter. In the higher elevations, snow accumulates more and stays a lot longer, so you see snow on the mountain tops most of the season. As you go north in the state, elevation increases and winters are a bit longer. As you go south, elevation decreases and winters are shorter/warmer. The thing I love best about NM is the sun. It is almost always shining. You get so you actually look forward to the rain because it comes so rarely.

Political: The bigger cities in NM are pretty darn liberal. As you move away from the cities into smaller towns, they are more conservative/libertarian. I like to think of NM as Arizona's liberal sibling. I lived in probably the most liberal part of Albuquerque: Nob Hill, near the university (UNM). It's a very nice walkable area with lots of shops and restaurants.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
It sounds like you are set on the East Coast, but I haven't seen much discussion of New Mexico, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

That does sound like a pretty nice place to live! I'll add it to my list! I worry about the drought in all those southwest spots. We spent a week in AZ in March, and it's painfully clear to me that at some point, there's just not going to be enough water to go around. What then?

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »

That does sound like a pretty nice place to live! I'll add it to my list! I worry about the drought in all those southwest spots. We spent a week in AZ in March, and it's painfully clear to me that at some point, there's just not going to be enough water to go around. What then?

We have family in Phoenix as well, and this same thing gets me every time we visit. A few years back my relative was sending us job listings in the city, in the hopes of us maybe moving there, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that, barring necessity, I would never choose to live in a sprawling city in a desert.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »

Sheperdstown, West Virginia
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:53:13 PM by mozar »

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
+1 for Nashville.  We're getting Google Fiber!

https://fiber.google.com/cities/nashville/

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2015, 09:02:11 PM »
You could look at Lawrence, Kansas.

It kinda sorta meets your criteria.

Low cost of living - Definitely. Not the lowest of the low, you'd have to go elsewhere in Kansas for that, but still pretty good.

Mild Climate - Sort of. Mild Winters. Mild Spring and Fall. OMG SWELTERING SUMMER. June through August, you're looking at 90F+ and during the hottest weeks, over 100F. A lot of humidity too. But when the weather is good - lots of bike trails, lots of outdoor events, a lake or two pretty close by, great Farmer's Market, really nice downtown area.

Socially liberal - Well, Lawrence itself is really liberal. There are three counties that always go blue - and Lawrence is in one of them. But the rest of Kansas - there's some crazy right wingers around. I hesitate to call them Republicans, even, because they're on the far right of the crazy scale. Really socially conservative. That's frustrating for a lot of Lawrencians, but overall the social conservativism doesn't really bleed into the city. So, for example, while our state legislature would be happy to pass a law saying you can have an anti-gay sign posted, you would never actually see that in Lawrence.

It's about 50 minutes to the nearest international airport (in Kansas City), and of course all the other stuff Kansas City has to offer for day trips, etc. If you want to lean toward a larger city, Kansas City actually has a fair amount going for it. More fiscally conservative, but without a ton of crazy.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2015, 11:03:23 PM »

It can't be right that the bulk of Alaska only goes above 60 degrees less than 10 times a year. Or does that mean that they have more 80+ degree days than I thought?

So many of the places on there that have 60 to 80 days of "Picture Perfect" weather a year also have blazing hot weather for a large portion of the spring, summer, and fall.

No, there are not many 80+ days.  :)  But, 60 feels hotter when the sun is out...

Also, I have found that liberal areas vary just as much as conservative areas in regards to the cultural focus.  The very liberal areas on the east coast feel much more comfortable to me than the very liberal areas in the PNW.  Granola crunchy composting vs militant social equality.  Love them both, but they are different...

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »

Ooh, I got a little tingle, rubic! ;) They are bringing Google Fiber to the Triangle area of NC too... I wonder if it's coming to the more LCOL areas like Carrboro too?

Allie says: "Granola crunchy composting vs militant social equality.  Love them both, but they are different..."

I'm in a spot currently where I'm blessed with both versions. I tell you, if it weren't for the winters and the HCOL, I'd just stay put. And I may end up doing that and "wintering" somewhere else - central FL or NC are the most likely candidates, though AZ would also be a contender for that kind of short-term (3 months a year?) stay.

I'll look at Fort Collins, CO too. I would probably become a dirty old woman, though, eyeing up the USAF boys.

And thanks for the info on Lawrence, KS, Cpa Cat - I do love a university town...

pac68

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2015, 02:27:15 PM »
We moved here (Greensboro, NC) from NY and while we're not looking to go back to NY, we are looking to get the hell out of here! After reading your wants, Greensboro may do especially since your from NC to begin with. They have an international airport with no waiting and you know NC so it should work for you. There really aren't many different cultures here and we are Latin so we miss the culture as well as others that just aren't here. Since we don't "look" Latin, when someone from here finds out, how sad is it that the only Latin they know is Mexican?!?! It's hard to make friends here and we think it's just the cultural differences from upbringing to life exposures or lack there of and in all fairness it's on both sides. We don't hunt, although I did as a child, its not something I am into. Not into guns and  I agree its your right, (I have been around them, Dad was a cop) I don't want to go to the range and bust few rounds, I do like motorcycles but not enough to pay for one. We would like to head to Volusia County, FL. We figure if we are going to be bored, let it be near a beach. We like the beach, and feel that the lifestyle here coupled with the thought process is just...ummm...too different, yes, different then what we are accustomed to.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »

Ooh, I got a little tingle, rubic! ;) They are bringing Google Fiber to the Triangle area of NC too... I wonder if it's coming to the more LCOL areas like Carrboro too
Yes to google fiber in Carrboro, but LCOL?!? 

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »

Ooh, I got a little tingle, rubic! ;) They are bringing Google Fiber to the Triangle area of NC too... I wonder if it's coming to the more LCOL areas like Carrboro too

Compared to Chapel Hill and Cary, I guess is what I was thinking...

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »
We moved here (Greensboro, NC) from NY and while we're not looking to go back to NY, we are looking to get the hell out of here! After reading your wants, Greensboro may do especially since your from NC to begin with. They have an international airport with no waiting and you know NC so it should work for you. There really aren't many different cultures here and we are Latin so we miss the culture as well as others that just aren't here. Since we don't "look" Latin, when someone from here finds out, how sad is it that the only Latin they know is Mexican?!?! It's hard to make friends here and we think it's just the cultural differences from upbringing to life exposures or lack there of and in all fairness it's on both sides. We don't hunt, although I did as a child, its not something I am into. Not into guns and  I agree its your right, (I have been around them, Dad was a cop) I don't want to go to the range and bust few rounds, I do like motorcycles but not enough to pay for one. We would like to head to Volusia County, FL. We figure if we are going to be bored, let it be near a beach. We like the beach, and feel that the lifestyle here coupled with the thought process is just...ummm...too different, yes, different then what we are accustomed to.

Ah yes, pac68, I know Greensboro well! I lived there for eight years in two different stints. It is on our list because 1) we know it so well; 2) it has school/church that we're comfortable with; 3) we could buy the house of our dreams. But I can definitely see that it would be a hard place to move to if you weren't familiar with it. It's much more... Southern... for lack of a better term, than Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Asheville. Even with five colleges and universities in the metro area, it veers conservative.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
There really aren't many different cultures here and we are Latin so we miss the culture as well as others that just aren't here. Since we don't "look" Latin, when someone from here finds out, how sad is it that the only Latin they know is Mexican?!?! It's hard to make friends here and we think it's just the cultural differences from upbringing to life exposures or lack there of and in all fairness it's on both sides. We don't hunt, although I did as a child, its not something I am into. Not into guns and  I agree its your right, (I have been around them, Dad was a cop) I don't want to go to the range and bust few rounds, I do like motorcycles but not enough to pay for one. We would like to head to Volusia County, FL.

This is one of the issues on the top of my mind when thinking about places to go. Wherever we go, my plan is to get to a place with a good tight community and an axillary cord to flip on the salsa off Pandora.

pac68

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »

It's much more... Southern... for lack of a better term, than Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Asheville. Even with five colleges and universities in the metro area, it veers conservative.
[/quote]

LOL Southern conservative. Great description!

pac68

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »
There really aren't many different cultures here and we are Latin so we miss the culture as well as others that just aren't here. Since we don't "look" Latin, when someone from here finds out, how sad is it that the only Latin they know is Mexican?!?! It's hard to make friends here and we think it's just the cultural differences from upbringing to life exposures or lack there of and in all fairness it's on both sides. We don't hunt, although I did as a child, its not something I am into. Not into guns and  I agree its your right, (I have been around them, Dad was a cop) I don't want to go to the range and bust few rounds, I do like motorcycles but not enough to pay for one. We would like to head to Volusia County, FL.

This is one of the issues on the top of my mind when thinking about places to go. Wherever we go, my plan is to get to a place with a good tight community and an axillary cord to flip on the salsa off Pandora.
LOL exactly. Pernil, Por favor.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2015, 04:52:24 PM »
How about Richmond, VA?  I have some friends there.  It's pretty inexpensive, increasingly bike-friendly, increasingly liberal, short winters, and close to lots of stuff (train to DC, 1.5 hr drive to beach, 1.5 hr drive to mountains, has a good-sized airport, etc).

+1

I've lived in RVA for almost 15 years now and the city is an increasingly cool place.  We have Va Commonwealth University to thank for that  VCU (30,000 students +) is well known for its arts/ music/ fashion schools (and engineering and medicine, but those don't make RVA cool).   As a result, we have a booming population of creative Millennials.   We also have the James River running right through the middle of the city.  Kayaking, paddleboarding, swimming, and miles of hiking trails are right in the downtown core.   I've gone for an 8 mile hike along the river on a weekday morning and been at my desk by 9 AM.     The craft beer movement is thriving.  We just landed Stone Brewing's east coast brewing/ biergarden/ distributing hub and that will be built along the river.   There are festivals nearly year round -- typically outside from April to October -- and usually free. Bacon and Bourbon.  X-Games.  Watermelon.  Tomatoes.  Oysters.  St. Patty's Day.  Folk music. You name it, we'll have a festival about it.

RVA is awesome and unlike some of the states on your list (KY, TN, NC, and TX) our statewide politics are moderate.  We're a swing state with a Dem. governor (Obama won here both times).  Any VA politician knows to avoid the extremes (except one notorious delegate but he's a loon and everyone knows it). 

RVA is the capital so our economy hums along pretty nicely even when times are tough and the infrastructure is better than average.   During the recession, our unemployment never got over 8%.  The COL is amazingly low for such a cool place and salaries are strong for professionals.   Housing is reasonable with lots of different choices.  Living downtown is a very popular option right now.  Oh, and VCU's medical/ dental/ oral surgery/ orthodontia schools are an amazing resource.   Both my kids had braces done (including retainers) for $4,000, each with interest free payments (about $3k below market).

I LOVE RVA.  Let me know if you want to know more.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:06:16 PM by TrulyStashin »

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »
Here's my list:

1). mild climate
2). LCOL
3). liberal
4). bike friendly
5). MMM lives nearby

My "dream" city? Fort Collins, CO

Some may argue the COL isn't very low, but compared to my city...it is significantly lower and therefore highly appealing to me.

We visit my mom in Ft. Collins every summer...usually during 'bike to work' week, and absolutely love it.

Anyhoo...last summer we got to tour the New Belgium Brewery. They told us they were building a second plant in Asheville, NC because it reminded them of Ft. Collins (eco- and bike friendly, liberal, etc). I thought that was pretty cool.

elicoolio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2015, 05:03:07 PM »
How about Chatham Co. (the northern part) in North Carolina?  Housing is much less expensive than Chapel Hill (probably on par with Durham) and you are still quite close to all of the things that make this area so fun.  At the most northern part of the county you are probably only 4-5 miles from the UNC campus.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
We're currently living in Austin, but feel it's too damn hot in the summers and traffic is beginning to feel more and more like LA traffic, one of the reasons I left LA was to get away from the traffic. I hesitate to mention where we're headed next because I don't want others to discover it and drive up the prices before we move there, but I'll do it anyway...Ashland, OR.

Ashland prices have been going up for a long time.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »

Compared to Chapel Hill and Cary, I guess is what I was thinking...
Cary's cheaper than either Chapel Hill or Carrboro, from what I've seen.

rubor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
We just moved to the southern suburbs of Nashville. So far I have mixed feelings. It is a mild climate, but they had a rough winter with lots of ice. The COL is actually surprisingly high- especially housing. Everyone seems desperate to buy- there is a definite bubble feel to the property market. Lots of generic McMansions getting snapped up at 500-700K. Socially liberal? I'm not sure yet- I guess Nashville is, but in Brentwood and Franklin, there seem to be a lot of fervent conservatives- obvs that is limited and anecdotal sample size.

We were hoping this was the place, but maybe not. NC, Oregon maybe. Anyone know where the NEXT hot real estate city will be? ;)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2015, 05:35:51 AM »
I would put weather and COL on my list for sure as I too never really care about people's politics.  I am pretty openminded. I don't want to listen to only people that think exactly like me.  I have moved around lots due to dh's work and have complained about the weather and the COL but not the people.  I put traffic on the list.  That said, I don't want to live in a state that doesn't teach science in the schools - dare I ask what state that is?

Some states (Tennessee and Louisiana, to name two) allow creationism to be taught in public schools in science classes as an "alternative" to evolution:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_public_schools_mapped_where_tax_money_supports_alternatives.html

Does "alternative" mean "in addition to" or "instead of"?

My understanding (based on Texas) is that they teach both.  The bad news is they give them equal scientific footing.  Texas also really sets lots of the standards for all the other states -- not because we are better, but because we are such a huge book buyer, we tilt the scales for the publishing.

I took two years of biology at a public high school in Texas around 2004. The class was 99.999% straight science, with a one-sentence disclaimer from the teacher, complete with eye-roll, that not everybody believes in the origin of life we were being taught.

My entire class got 4s and 5s on the AP Biology exam.

If you as a parent cannot counter that level of doubt you have bigger problems.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2015, 06:50:45 AM »
I would put weather and COL on my list for sure as I too never really care about people's politics.  I am pretty openminded. I don't want to listen to only people that think exactly like me.  I have moved around lots due to dh's work and have complained about the weather and the COL but not the people.  I put traffic on the list.  That said, I don't want to live in a state that doesn't teach science in the schools - dare I ask what state that is?

Some states (Tennessee and Louisiana, to name two) allow creationism to be taught in public schools in science classes as an "alternative" to evolution:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_public_schools_mapped_where_tax_money_supports_alternatives.html

Does "alternative" mean "in addition to" or "instead of"?

My understanding (based on Texas) is that they teach both.  The bad news is they give them equal scientific footing.  Texas also really sets lots of the standards for all the other states -- not because we are better, but because we are such a huge book buyer, we tilt the scales for the publishing.

I took two years of biology at a public high school in Texas around 2004. The class was 99.999% straight science, with a one-sentence disclaimer from the teacher, complete with eye-roll, that not everybody believes in the origin of life we were being taught.

My entire class got 4s and 5s on the AP Biology exam.

If you as a parent cannot counter that level of doubt you have bigger problems.

And yet I took AP biology at a school in one of the "socially liberal" cities mentioned in this thread, circa 2005 or 2006, and there was a raging debate with creationists in the class. The teacher ended up saying, "feel free to believe what you want, but answer your test questions like you care about science." Of course, rather than my entire class getting 4s and 5s, we had 3 girls drop due to teen pregnancies and one guy leave to go to rehab. I don't really know what that says, but it somehow feels relevant.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »

And yet I took AP biology at a school in one of the "socially liberal" cities mentioned in this thread, circa 2005 or 2006, and there was a raging debate with creationists in the class. The teacher ended up saying, "feel free to believe what you want, but answer your test questions like you care about science." Of course, rather than my entire class getting 4s and 5s, we had 3 girls drop due to teen pregnancies and one guy leave to go to rehab. I don't really know what that says, but it somehow feels relevant.

I also went to public high school in Texas and was SHOCKED to learn in early college that there are actually people out there who believe in literal young earth creationism.  Utterly shocked.  So- yes I learned real science in the Dallas area in public school.

Also, as a resident of southeast Texas these days, I'm chuckling at the idea that Kansas has mild winters.... :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »
Five Man Electric Band

E.g., it would also not be against the law to put up a sign and say "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" (unless long-haired freaky people are a protected class in that jurisdiction).

Seriously, people put up signs like this?  Maybe I will hate the language police a tiny bit less (c'est L'Office de la Langue Francais, vraiment ).  Not a lot less, mind you.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »
Five Man Electric Band

E.g., it would also not be against the law to put up a sign and say "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" (unless long-haired freaky people are a protected class in that jurisdiction).

Seriously, people put up signs like this?  Maybe I will hate the language police a tiny bit less (c'est L'Office de la Langue Francais, vraiment ).  Not a lot less, mind you.

No. Most people don't need laws to be decent.

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
I'm living in Las Vegas, which naturally runs hot in the summer, but the payoff is 8 months of pretty great weather + excellent outdoorsy stuff year round. However, I've got my eyes set on an eventual move to northern Nevada (Reno or Carson City), which is a great place to cherry pick the northern California area while enjoying low cost of Nevada living plus a very favorable climate.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2015, 12:05:13 PM »
I think Asheville can be expensive because housing costs are driven up by tourism. Not sure what the availability of good-paying jobs is like, either.

I'd expand beyond Chapel Hill and think of Durham and/or Carrboro. I spent a few years in the triangle and there are lots of high-paying jobs in biotech and other fields, but still a relatively low cost of living (if you avoid rich suburbs like Cary or Apex). Very socially liberal area as well.

Definitely has mild winters good for yearlong biking. I hesitate to call the climate totally mild because the hot/humid summers are not to my liking personally.

We lived in Durham when we first married (I worked in Chapel Hill, he worked in Raleigh and we split the difference), and my dad now lives in Durham too. There are still nice neighborhoods of old mill houses that people have fixed up. Small houses, small yards, sidewalks. Very appealing. And we have friends who've found similar neighborhoods in Carrboro. Chapel Hill feels trafficky and crowded to me now, especially compared to what it was like when I was a kid in the 70s.
(Outing myself) I live in Durham. I have to say Durham has been officially discovered, in that people are moving here even without jobs and the real estate prices keeps going up. Just went to a neighborhood block party, and that neighborhood sounds just what you are looking for. The way it is like anywhere, there are nice but wealthy neighborhoods you need $$ to move their but it may rather staid. And there are some neighborhoods while cheap (literally 40K houses) you don't want to live there. In between a number of neighborhoods that have modest sized but reasonably priced houses, and also borderline neighborhoods closer to Durham that you can "invest in" by buying and fixing up a house and contributing to the neighborhood by your presence. I do like the weather, except the summers (originally from midwest). If I end up living here the rest of my life might need to invest in a summer home in the mountains or farther north to escape the heat and humidity : ) 
Can also look into non chapel hill areas of orange county, and Hillsborough, pittsboro if you want a more rural feel.