Author Topic: Seeking input from non-shampoo users...  (Read 10442 times)

sideways8

• Stubble
Seeking input from non-shampoo users...
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
Right now I'm still using the typical shampoo you get at the store. I've read about shampoo bars and homemade concoctions and I know there is a period of adjustment. I used to have really long hair but now I wear a short angled bob (short in back, longer in front) that looks good on my face so I'm very hesitant to change it as I've spent enough time thinking my face looked fat. Anyways, I'd like to hear experiences of those who do not use the store bought typical shampoos. How is your hair now? Do you do any styling with it? Blow dry/straightner use? Did it get thicker than when you used "normal" shampoo? Do you keep it long, short, in-between? Do you dye it? ... forgot to mention I've been getting gray hair since I was in high school and I'm just now beginning to think about getting over it :P

arc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Seeking input from non-shampoo users...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:10 AM »
I use a shampoo bar and love it. It took me a while to get use to the lack of a lather that normal shampoo gives you but I haven’t really noticed any difference in my hair. I have long, non-dyed, curly/wavy hair. When I go to work, I do put a little gel in my hair to keep the flyaways down but that’s all the styling I do. 

The best part of shampoo bars is that they last a long time. One bar can last me about 7 or 8 months.

Uncephalized

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
I don't use any soap or shampoo. It works for me. I just shower in cold/cool water (can't get cold water in the summer in Phoenix!) and run my fingers through my hair several times with my head in the water. I've been cleaning myself this way for a couple of years now and have had zero issues with unwanted odor or greasiness (I regularly ask my wife if I stink or whatever, and she's not the type to spare my feelings). I also use a Thai deodorant stone instead of a smelly chemical deodorant.

FYI I am a dude. But for about half the time I've been soap-free I had hair past my shoulders; I just cut it last year. I never had any problems going without shampoo and my hair was always shiny, wavy and soft--and received a lot of compliments.

YMMV, though; my wife tends to have oilier hair and skin and she can't get away without shampoo. She tried for about a month and her hair was just always greasy-looking. So she went back to using shampoo.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
I used baking soda + vinegar for a while but now I've switched to using nothing. Both work well for me, but my hair is also ridiculously short.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I do like the idea of the long life of a shampoo bar. Which one do you use?

I've done a little experimenting with not using soap to clean my body... it works pretty well and since my skin tends to be on the dry side, it felt better. For my face I like to use a dab of honey as a cleanser. When your hair was longer, would it get tangled? I'd be tempted to use a conditioner or put something in my hair to make it easier to comb out if it were long. If I could pull off a pixie cut I'd just do that!

Oh, and how about the transition from switching from shampoo to bar/nothing/other alternatives? I've read that it can take a couple of weeks for your hair to get used to it. I feel like I'm playing 20 questions... sorry! I'm just highly curious about alternative methods of cleaning hair since I've had good experiences using alternative methods for some of my skin care. :)

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
I'm on day 7 of no shampoo - but I've been using baking soda to clean and vinegar to condition every other day.  I was expecting my hair to be gross at this point given that my hair usually gets super greasy if I skip a shampoo, but it's actually doing okay.  Greasier than normal, yes, but not terribly bad.  I've heard that I need to give myself at least a couple of weeks to maybe even a couple of months for my hair to adjust.  I'll let you know how it goes.  On the recommendation of several people in the forum, I've been checking out crunchbetty.com.  You may want to check out that blog and see what she has to say about going shampoo-free. 

smedleyb

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
I used baking soda + vinegar for a while but now I've switched to using nothing. Both work well for me, but my hair is also ridiculously short.

I use nothing as well.  My hair is short too, and just rinsing seems to do the trick.   

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
I've been using baking soda and apple cider vinegar for years. Don't use any hair products, no dye, etc. I usually "wash" it every 4-5 days. If I get lazy and use a normal shampoo it seems my hair is extra greasy and I can't get the shampoo completely rinsed off. My hair is the best 1 day after the soda, vinegar treatment. As far as combing, the vinegar seems to make it very easy to comb through. I have fine and curly hair so I don't brush it ever or comb much between washings. But I'm super lazy and low maintenance with girly stuff. Hair is about shoulder length and I wear it up for work.

Lark3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »
I have also been using a baking/soda water mixture and apple cider vinegar/water mixture to cleanse my hair. After about a month I have an extremely dry scalp which also seems to be trying to overcompensate for the dryness by producing a ton of oil. Greasy hair, dandruff, and frizzy ends does not make for a good look. Needless to say, I am going back to shampoo. I will most likely use one that is on the natural side. When I was washing my hair with shampoo, I would only wash about once every three to four days, so a bottle of shampoo lasts me quite a long time. I have heard that other people have had awesome experiences with the baking soda/apple cider vinegar. I was super excited about it and quite disappointed that it didn't work for me. :-(

Someone else mentioned that thai deodorant stick and I have to chime in and say that I also use it and I LOVE it. It's going to last a super long time and I think it works better than regular deodorant.

For my face I use the oil cleansing method. I read about it on crunchybetty.com. It works wonderfully. I use castor oil and grape seed oil to clean my face and then a little bit of grape seed oil as a moisturizer. It's the best cleanser I have ever used!

arc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »
I use Lush shampoo.  They can be kinda pricey… but I almost always get them as gifts.  It’s my go to gift when people ask me what I want.  :)

http://www.lushusa.com/Solid-Shampoos/solid-shampoos,en_US,sc.html

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »
Thanks for the links!

I wish I could sniff those shampoo bars... they look like they smell tasty.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
You guys are about to discover some interesting facts about the moon landing and JFK shooter...

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »
I have also been using a baking/soda water mixture and apple cider vinegar/water mixture to cleanse my hair. After about a month I have an extremely dry scalp which also seems to be trying to overcompensate for the dryness by producing a ton of oil. Greasy hair, dandruff, and frizzy ends does not make for a good look. Needless to say, I am going back to shampoo. I will most likely use one that is on the natural side. When I was washing my hair with shampoo, I would only wash about once every three to four days, so a bottle of shampoo lasts me quite a long time. I have heard that other people have had awesome experiences with the baking soda/apple cider vinegar. I was super excited about it and quite disappointed that it didn't work for me. :-(

How much baking soda did you use? I've read that baking soda can be very drying and you have to aim for the amount that when mixed in water makes your hair feel "silky". If you don't have that feeling when using your mixture you either have too much or too little baking soda. I found a lot of info at no-poo.livejournal.com.

I went 3 weeks no shampoo or anything on my hair. My hair was kinda of gross. It seemed thicker but quite greasy (and normally my hair is not greasy). I used baking soda (1 tsp baking soda: 1 cup water) and vinegar and my hair was much better. However, I am currently using a sulfate free shampoo (gift) and washing every other day.

BenDarDunDat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
Right now I'm still using the typical shampoo you get at the store. I've read about shampoo bars and homemade concoctions and I know there is a period of adjustment. I used to have really long hair but now I wear a short angled bob (short in back, longer in front) that looks good on my face so I'm very hesitant to change it as I've spent enough time thinking my face looked fat. Anyways, I'd like to hear experiences of those who do not use the store bought typical shampoos. How is your hair now? Do you do any styling with it? Blow dry/straightner use? Did it get thicker than when you used "normal" shampoo? Do you keep it long, short, in-between? Do you dye it? ... forgot to mention I've been getting gray hair since I was in high school and I'm just now beginning to think about getting over it :P

I have short hair and tried going water only after everyone talked about how awesome it was on /r/frugal. I have occasional scalp acne and worried that it would aggravate it. Surprisingly, it didn't. As a matter of fact, I've only had one outbreak. On the downside, I developed a bad case of dandruff. Really bad.

So, I've switched to washing once a week with shampoo, washing midweek with a dandruff control conditioner, and washing the other times with water only. This is working for me. Scalp acne flareups are almost gone. No dandruff, but sometimes itchy. When that happens I know it's time to use Head and Shoulder's conditioner. Nice manageable hair otherwise. It isn't thicker. No visible oiliness. However, when I wash my  hair the water beads on my hands. Before, it wouldn't. 

I would suggest if you are happy with your hair and scalp, keep doing what you are doing. If you want it more manageable, less frizzy, and scalp less dry, you could benefit from lowering the amount of detergents you are putting on your hair.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I have dandruff and itchy, dry scalp issues, too. My hair is almost baby fine and falls pretty flat unless I do stuff to it (product, blow-dry- the usual abuse). Lately I've been letting it air dry more often than not.

The more I read from what's being shared here and what I find elsewhere on the interwebs, I think I'm going to have to do a bit of experimenting. My American desire for a silver bullet, instant gratification fix is just going to have to get over it! :P

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
I bought a shampoo bar today (after reading this thread :P). I can't wait to try it!! :D

I'm mainly wanting to try it because carrying shampoo while travelling is always a pain in the bum, so I'm hoping this works out!

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 05:54:56 AM »
I have long, thick, wavy hair, and I have never been able to get away with vinegar as a detangler/conditioner. But I've cut back on the number of shampoos (just the scalp!) and conditionings and the amount of product used. 

I once, as a teenaged camp counselor who swam in the ocean daily, forwent all bathing for a month with several other people.  My hair did ok, because the saltwater cleaned my hair.  Maybe same principal as the baking soda?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 06:29:02 AM »
Having read lots of "no 'poo" threads on other forums it seems some people adjust really well  to no poo and others find it just doesn't work for them. I have psoriasis in my scalp - in the past if I stop the psoriasis shampoo after a few weeks I will get a relapse mostly around the hair line which is very visible and not a great look.  The best I've managed so far is to wash my hair less often (twice a week instead of every second day).  A few times in summer I've washed and not put hair product in on the weekend and the itching is much better.  Due to my professional job I'm not game to stop the shampoo and risk it...but If I ever get long holidays I'd love to give no 'poo  and no product a try, on the chance that all the chemicals are causing the problem. (Might have to wait to retirement!)

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 06:35:23 AM »
For what it's worth, I used to have dry scalp issues, and I know I have some minor eczema problems in general. I've dropped to only using traditional shampoo on Sundays, and my dry scalp problems have almost gone away. However, it's summer in a humid climate, so it could be that.

liquidbanana

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 08:56:40 PM »
I've tried no poo and just baking soda before for weeks at a time. My hair just gets gross and/or has that "wet dog" smell going on. But it's really, really thick and long.

I've also tried just using dr bonners and vinegar, but my hair was waaay too tangled. So yeah, I just use sauve shampoo and conditioner or whatever is cheap at the store for now. I only wash like twice a week. It doesn't look very great though. lol I don't go out much at the moment. I don't know what I'm gonna do when I get a job outside the house.

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 04:31:50 AM »
Query for those of you who have changed over to no shampoo or to bars:

What did you do with the unused amounts of unwanted shampoos in bottles? Or did you scrupulously use up every last drop before changing over? At my rate of use of one hair-wash a week (thin fine dry hair - scalp becomes itchy before hair is at all greasy) that would take many months of using a no-good shampoo with bad effects just to finish it up. Emptying it down the sink is obviously ruled out. Just chuck it out with the garbage and let it become someone else's problem?

Now I've found one that is right for me, I can't see myself wanting to go back to using up the other failures.

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »
So I've gone from the sulfate free 'poo to BS. I have not finished the bottle but I have stored it in case of hair emergency :)
I couldn't imagine pouring it down the drain (what a waste) so I decided to save it just in case.

Oh and for the itchy, I added a few drops of tea tree oil (already had a botte) to my BS mix. I read that tip somewhere online and I'm sorry that I don't recall where.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »
I've been trying out a shampoo/body bar that has tea tree oil in it. So far, so good! I still have a bit of dandruff but the itching is so much better and my hair feels fine. I'm keeping my old shampoo/conditioner around for when I have guests (usually my parents).

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
I was a former dandruff sufferer until I switched to baking soda and apple cider vinegar about 3 months ago. Now the dandruff isn't totally gone, but it's definitely less of a problem. My hair is less oily too. Here are the recipes I use:

https://foundryintheforest.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/i-dont-use-shampoo-any-more/

(I bought a huge container of baking soda at costco)

I've also heard that diluted lemon juice works for dandruff/itch (in place of the vinegar)

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
Thanks! I'll have to give this a try. :)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
What did you do with the unused amounts of unwanted shampoos in bottles?
I just waited 'til the next time I ran outta shampoo.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
I slowly moved to not using shampoo over about six months, when the bottle finally ran out I didn't get more.  My wife still has her shampoo in the shower so I have used it a couple time over the last six months, but I can't really tell the difference when I use it so I never bother anymore.  Certainly haven't noticed any down side to skipping the shampoo, it works well for me and shortens the shower which probably saves a lot more money than the cost of shampoo.