Author Topic: Seeking help from some bike experts on a potential used purchase!  (Read 2532 times)

FrugalKing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm looking into finding a good bike for the commute to and from work. Not a whole lot of paths, I would pretty much be on a side walk the entire way. I have found a used bike at a used bike store that I am very interested in, just looking for a little more help before I dive in.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1993&Brand=Kona&Model=Hahanna&Type=bike

The man told me I could have it for 250.00. In my test ride I had no complaints.

Also a recent craigslist ad I may delve deeper into:

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/bik/3669703499.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:55:01 PM by FrugalKing »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Seeking help from some bike experts on a potential used purchase!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »
Please don't bike on sidewalks.  It's much less safe than the road (there's good reason it's illegal most places).  :P

As a matter of personal preference, my quick checklist that I go over is:
- Does it fit comfortably?  The seat can easily be raised or lowered, but the distance between the bars and the seat you'll be stuck with.
- Does everything look like it's in OK condition mechanically (shifters, breaks, headset, bottom bracket)
- Fenders, rack, lights, bottle holder, bar ends, etc. can all be added later when needed, but it makes things easier if the bike already comes with them.

ScottEric

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
It's pretty common to hear folks wanting to ride on sidewalks when they're thinking about getting their first bike, but like GuitarStv said, it's actually a lot safer to ride in the road.

How far are you going?  Mountain bikes are a little cushier, but big knobby tires are less efficient than skinny slick tires.  So you spend a lot of energy pushing them around.  The Craigslist bike has decent tires and fenders, so you'll save yourself 20-40 on fenders and 20-40 on tires vs equally configuring the Kona if it doesn't already have those.

That said, get a bike that fits and feels good to ride.

Nate_D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »
The craigslist bike seems like a much, much better deal than the other bike.  $250 is a lot to ask for a recreational bike that's 20 years old, even if it's in pristine condition.  As the craigslist ad shows, you can often pick up something more contemporary for less.