Author Topic: Seeking confirmation: Will my plan work?  (Read 2511 times)

MEER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Seeking confirmation: Will my plan work?
« on: November 29, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
I've been reading MMM and the forums long enough to know that my plan should work, but somehow I feel that I need confirmation. Short story here: By the end of next year, we should have around $680,000 plus a condo in a great area that we love that's paid for. I'm a workaholic, and I love my work, so I don't anticipate retiring, but we currently live overseas and it's time to go back for many reasons, including parents that are getting older. I anticipate that we will not be able to get full-time for back home, and I'm okay with that.

It's difficult to calculate your budget when you're living in a different country, but according to my calculations (I do know several costs and I've been tracking summers for the last two years and have done extensive research), I think that we can easily get by with $29,000, including taxes. However, I'd prefer to have a buffer for a few reasons, but partially because I am not able to anticipate all expenses. So I'd like the option of $35,000 even though every single budget I've hypothetically created does not come close to that.

4% of 680,000 is 27,000, but I anticipate that we can easily make $10,000 between two people, and in ten years, we will have $10,000 in pensions. Between two of us, we have about five small pensions which will slowly accumulate after that, and all of them are pretty secure, so I think if we can generate $25,000, we're fine. Plus, we're very flexible.

The plan is to move back mid-2017 (maybe 2018) and then ideally work part-time until the pensions arrive. So, dear strangers who I don't know yet I strangely trust, what flaws do you see with this plan? It seems so obvious that it should work, but am I missing something that is glaring?

Thank you so much in advance.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Seeking confirmation: Will my plan work?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
Sounds great!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Seeking confirmation: Will my plan work?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
It's cutting it a little close, and is quite dependent on your earning that 10k each year for the next 10 years, and on inflation not eroding the pensions over the next decade until you collect (and the ones that have inflation adjustments start adjusting at that time).

I'd probably OMY, or more.

You're in a good spot...just maybe not quite there. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!