Author Topic: Seeking beta readers for a new book about early retirement  (Read 5330 times)

JakeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Seeking beta readers for a new book about early retirement
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
I welcome feedback from anyone here on the MMM forum who would like to be a beta-reader for my new book “Four Ways To Quit The Rat Race: Choose Your Own Path To Freedom, Independence And The Life You Want”. I'll acknowledge everyone who provides feedback in the book and give you a free copy of the final version too.

The book contains extensive discussion of early retirement, extreme saving, passive income, unjobbing, minimalism, and much more that is highly relevant to the community here. If you’d like to hear more about the subject of this book, here is a presentation I gave about it:
https://youtu.be/Zz-dxV8VfPE
A huge amount of research has gone into this book. It contains excerpts from 15 original in-depth interviews with people who have quit the rat race, as well as data from 34 books and 15 websites. I generated 500 pages of background notes. However, I’ve kept the final text short (just 125 pages) and made sure it is easy to read.

———
EDIT: I had some brilliant feedback from the people on this discussion board, following the original request I made on this thread. The book is now finished and has just been released: http://getbook.at/jobfree
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:44:17 AM by JakeD »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Seeking beta readers for a new book about early retirement
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
Signed up.  Sounds interesting.  Does it come in some sort of reasonable ereader format (epub/mobi/etc)?

goober

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »
Threw my name in! Really interested to read!

JakeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »
Thanks!

Syonyk—the final book will be a .mobi (as well as paperback and audiobook) but I'm giving beta readers the text in Word just because that is the easiest way for people to provide feedback using "track changes". If you need another format I can save as pretty much anything, but I need to be able to easily find comments and changes.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
Semi-serious suggestion: Google Docs is a great way to allow for online commenting (and you can easily change it and have the changes reflected for readers when you resolve their comments).

I'll probably read it through first, then go through and comment on things.

JakeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
Syonyk—I thought about using Google docs for sure but, to cut a long story short, for various reasons I've gone with Word for the beta reader process. However, if you prefer, you are welcome to track changes in Google Docs and just share your edited google doc with me when you are done. Also, if you want an ePub or .mobi for your read through before commenting just email me back when I send you the Word file and I'd be happy to give you one.

JakeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
UPDATE: I had some brilliant feedback from the people on this discussion board, following the original request I made on this thread. The book is now finished and has just been released: http://getbook.at/jobfree

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »
Writing a book is a lot of work.  Congrats! 
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »
When is the paperback going on Amazon?

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 07:22:55 AM »
Sign me up. I want to read it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »
Sign me up. I want to read it!

It's already published.  Look 3 posts up from yours.

Anyone with a Kindle Unlimited subscription can read it free, otherwise it's a few bucks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

JakeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »
When is the paperback going on Amazon?

Hi TJ, the paperback edition will be out in February. It's kindle only until then. There will also be an Audiobook version later in the year.

JakeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 05:58:11 AM »
Writing a book is a lot of work.  Congrats!

Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!