Author Topic: Second Job in Retirement  (Read 3309 times)

epower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Second Job in Retirement
« on: November 24, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »
Several people who I've spoken to in real life (not on forums) mention early retirement was all well and good for a year or two but then they got a bit bored and went back to work part time. They don't need the money, but they did it for several other factors including purpose, people contact, mental stimulation, etc

How does one go about planning what sort of second career to pursue once you are financially independent?

Also, why not do this prior to being financially independent and enjoy your working career more?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Second Job in Retirement
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »
I think that people don't expect to be bored so don't plan for that down the road.  I was one of those people but was lucky enough that a p.t. gig literally fell into my lap and is something totally new that I love.  My Mom never got bored and was active in the community.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
I'm not sure you need to plan it. Something will probably appear.
A friend of mine who was military and retired early got bored. He is also a triathlete. He now works as a sales person and daily manager in a bicycle shop. Made profession of his hobby.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »
A comment that I heard somewhere resonated with me:  Don't retire FROM something; rather, retire TO something. 

I think we should all have plans to stay active with friends, in the community, etc. ... those plans could involve part-time or seasonal work, but they don't have to include paid employment.  Volunteering, hobbies, social activities, or any combination ... those things can fill your time /prevent boredom just as easily as a job ... but without the everyday commitment of a job.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 07:57:54 AM »
I'd say something like half the people working part-time in my gym are doing this. The other half are high-school/college students. I doubt most of the retirees planned to work there, it probably just happened along the way.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 03:36:05 PM »
I'd say something like half the people working part-time in my gym are doing this. The other half are high-school/college students. I doubt most of the retirees planned to work there, it probably just happened along the way.
That's a job I've thought I'd enjoy in retirement.  It doesn't look 'specially difficult, and it'd prompt me to work out often.  Any job I take will have to "pay me" in some type of benefit ... in addition to money. 

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »
My mom retired in her 40s , got bored and tried things like opening a cafeteria (failed), but mostly did house building and renovation projects. I think it might relate to hobbies or places you like to be .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:40 AM »
I recently retired, and I'm in my 40's. I've decided to study for my teaching credential. I'm in a high COL area, so teaching would have had financial challenges as a first career, even though it's something I've always wanted to do. Now that I'm established, I can pursue this goal without financial pressure. :-)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 02:47:22 AM »
Planning to live on my military pension.  I'm also planning to do more photography and potentially teach part time at a local comm college.

I'd love photography to become a paying gig, but happy for it to remain a hobby if that doesn't pan out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!