Author Topic: Second hand books  (Read 2223 times)

imolina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Canadian expat
Second hand books
« on: May 09, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »
I live in Dubai and public libraries are almost non existing and with bad English supply. I will be going to Miami this summer, and I am thinking of buying some FI books, i.e "Meet the frugalwoods", JL Collins book, "your money or you life", etc, but I don't want to pay full price. Besides Amazon, is there any online site where you can buy second hand books from?. I don't really want PDFs or Audiobooks, I prefer the old fashion way of reading a book. Thanks

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
Re: Second hand books
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:32:03 PM »
Powells.  It ships out of Oregon and is reliable.

Miami is a bit barren of all that is not cheap plaster and silicone, but you can probably find a good used bookstore there.

wonkette

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:02:16 AM »
I don't know Miami well I love shopping for free or nearly free books.  Besides just putting 'used book store' in Google look for
Little free libraries, which are sometimes registered/mapped online
Library used book sales
College campuses, both the campuses themselves which will sell used books students need for class (they don't know you're not registered for microeconomics!) and nearby coffee shops which often have free leave a book/take a book libraries.
Can you search for a used Kindle while in the US and download books going forward? There are frequent $1 & $2 sales on ebooks.
Are you visiting family or friends? People declutter books all the time. I bet your network would love to feel like they are helping you out and clearing their shelves at the same time.

DrMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
Try Books and Books in Miami

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
Try thriftbooks.com

It’s awesome - it won’t have everything - but has a lot of books at great prices

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
We've bought a lot of used books at thrift stores in various countries.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »
bookfinder.com

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:03:09 AM »
https://www.betterworldbooks.com/ - mostly ex-library books so you might not always get the most up-to-date stuff but I find them great. Free shipping worldwide. And they donate a book for every book you buy.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »
+1 for thriftbooks.com. I just discovered it this week and found a book I wanted for < $2.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »