Author Topic: Seasonal hobbies  (Read 2702 times)

bobble

• Bristles
Seasonal hobbies
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:28:18 AM »
Do you have special hobbies that help you appreciate all seasons of the year, even the ones you hadn't enjoyed in the past? What are they?

Foraging for wild mushrooms has transformed my feelings about autumn. It used to be melancholy - oh no, summer is over, winter is coming - but now I'm excited and eager to take the dog out for hours-long walks to forage ingredients for dinner. This makes me appreciate rain too: it brings on the mushrooms.

Winter is tougher. I have taken up long-ferment sourdough baking as a winter activity and that helps, but it's not enough. I'm now reading a book about constructing snow shelters and hoping that will lead to more appreciation e.g. looking at the falling snow and dreaming of the overnight camps I can build with it together with the kids.

I'd love to hear about other people's seasonal interests for further inspiration.

magnet18

• Bristles
Re: Seasonal hobbies
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 06:34:48 AM »
I love this idea! :)
Where are you located?  That can make a difference
I'm in the Midwest

Spring: hiking/sometimes i get into a small gardening kick, indoor plants on the counter with a little grow light

Summer: hiking/kayaking

Fall: hiking/baking (sourdough is a fave as well)/woodstove is also something to look forward to :)

Winter: I'm really hoping others can chime in.  I currently plan to move to Colorado and learn to ski and enjoy snow, because January-april where I am in the Midwest I usually get pretty down in the dumps, there is neither sun nor snow, just rain and mud

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 07:06:51 AM »
Mine are more cold vs. warm weather hobbies. Cold hobbies include lots of longer cooking processes (stews, roasts, homemade tortillas), baking (December gets a bit intense), and knitting. Warm hobbies usually involve walking or hiking. Although in the past year, the only month that didn’t involve at least one long walk or hike through a park was January (I get antsy if cooped up for too long).

I guess I really only have cold weather-specific hobbies.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 09:07:42 AM »
Southern Californian here. What are these "seasons" that you speak of?

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 09:12:20 AM »
Southern Californian here. What are these "seasons" that you speak of?

Just think of el niño, but if it happened every year

bobble

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 09:25:07 AM »
Where are you located?  That can make a difference

I'm located in Sweden. My winter hobby used to be scuba diving (on holiday in Asia.....) but now that I have kids I'm looking for a way to appreciate the winter season at home :)

I'm hoping that winter "bushcraft" will fit the bill, building shelters and finding fuel and cooking over camp fires, but I am open to more ideas too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »
I also forage wild mushrooms in autumn, but I start the season in January (flammulina velutipes). Inlook for them all summer. In the winter I study the books and translate names from foreign boooks.

In the summer I hike and go camping with DH. We also canoe sometimes.

In the autumn and winter I like to do stargazing through my telescope. But as that is at night and I still have a job, and clear skies are often on weekdays, I haven't been doing this often enough.

My DH likes freediving and foraging for fish and clams. During the summer, where we live, the waters are not very clear. Springtime is better. I sometimes join him.

In the winter we love to do cross country skiing. In early spring we ski in the mountains. Many Norwegians who don't like skiing hate the winters.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 01:49:13 PM »
Summer: Outdoor Pickleball, Wakeboarding, Golf
Fall: watching football, winemaking, working on cars (not too hot or cold)
Winter: Indoor Pickleball, Snowboarding
Spring: Indoor Pickleball

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
I love building and running my model trains in the fall and winter. From April to September, I barely run my models but as soon as September comes, I head down to my basement and dust off the models and resume working on them.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 03:15:05 PM »
In the autumn and winter I like to do stargazing through my telescope. But as that is at night and I still have a job, and clear skies are often on weekdays, I haven't been doing this often enough.

My DH likes freediving and foraging for fish and clams. During the summer, where we live, the waters are not very clear. Springtime is better. I sometimes join him.

This reminds me of a year-round hobby of a coworker, sungazing

He and his wife use various filters to look at the sun through a telescope after work, tracking sunspot and flares and such

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 12:54:22 AM »

This reminds me of a year-round hobby of a coworker, sungazing

He and his wife use various filters to look at the sun through a telescope after work, tracking sunspot and flares and such

I have a simple sun filter too and have used it occasionally to watch sun spots and Mercury passage. But many times I set it up, only to find out that there are no spots. Now I check on forehand on live internet, but even there are many days with a boring sun.

I don't have the fancy equipment that can show flares. I have considered to buy a special sun telescope, but I find them way too expensive.

Since last year, I also have a new spring hobby, which is foraging for edible plants. I am still in a fesrning phase there.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 01:27:52 AM »
Autumn/winter: knitting, (hand) quilting, embroidery, baking, cooking, hiking through the woods and drinking hot chocolate afterwards
Spring/summer: gardening, cleaning/organizing and DIY - this doesn't sound much like a hobby but during spring I always get the spring cleaning bug and then I make a list of all the projects around the house that need doing over summer

bobble

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 04:25:52 AM »
I'm reading about backcountry ski touring and wondering if that could be a new winter hobby. I have never been really excited about downhill skiing/snowboarding - seems a bit fancypants to me - but going exploring in the forest sounds like my kind of thing. Could combine well with learning winter bushcraft camping/survival skills.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 04:33:10 AM »
I'm reading about backcountry ski touring and wondering if that could be a new winter hobby. I have never been really excited about downhill skiing/snowboarding - seems a bit fancypants to me - but going exploring in the forest sounds like my kind of thing. Could combine well with learning winter bushcraft camping/survival skills.

Cross country skiing is nice on good trails, in my opinion. But just skiing through woods or over meadows and mountains following animal trails is also fun.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 05:22:28 AM »
I love infrared photography.  Some of the coolest effects are the way that the color of green foliage looks.  Consequently, I get out to do as much as I can in the Spring/Summer/early Fall.  In the winter, not so much.

Vic99

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 07:42:28 PM »
Feb/March:  Tapping trees to make maple syrup.  March is otherwise muddy and less than ideal.  We make a party of out an outdoor maple boil.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!