Author Topic: Searching for financial advice  (Read 2641 times)

ajonesin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Searching for financial advice
« on: March 02, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
Hello, everyone!

I am in need of some financial advice.  I am currently 21, living with my parents, and working full time (at $13.25 an hour) while I finish up my Bachelor's degree.  My net worth is just about 41,000, but I feel like there's more I could be doing to increase it faster.  Nearly all of my money is invested in my employer's stock, with a smaller portion invested into two vanguard mutual funds.  Within the next few years I'd like to buy a house, but am not sure when the best time would be. Any advice would be appreciated, trying to retire by 35!

MLKnits

• Bristles
Re: Searching for financial advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
What possible advice could any of us have for you? You're obviously doing literally everything right. Keep it up.

EDIT: all right, all right, fine: try to get a raise. There's your advice. Keep doing everything ELSE right.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
Hi ajonesin,

If you provide more details, people might be of more assistance.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »
Well, you will need money, savings for a down payment, so maybe some liquid asset v would be good. How about your expenses? Any room to make some cuts?

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »
Stop investing in your employer's stock, and put the money into VTSAX instead.  Take advantage of your employer's 401(k), if you're eligible.

Start a 'down payment' fund.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
My only advice from the given information is this:  If Enron taught us only one thing, it was to never EVER invest your earnings from a company in that same company.  They already provide you with money, if they go under do you want both your income and your 'stache to disappear? 

I currently get discounted stock from my employer.  As soon as that stock hits my account, I sell it spread it into my Vanguard funds.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!