Author Topic: Screen protector *after* cracking iPad 2 screen  (Read 13897 times)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Screen protector *after* cracking iPad 2 screen
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
Well, after absorbing dozens of similar bumps and impacts over 5+ years, today my iPad 2 screen tipped forward, hit the edge of a plate, and broke.  The screen has a few cracks and a spot at the edge has an indent where shards of glass flaked off. 

It's still working (I'm using it now), but I'd like to do something to prevent additional screen damage or disintegration due to the cracks. 

Having Apple replace the screen costs about as much as buying a used replacement off eBay (~$200 CAD).  No-name repair shops will cost less but if they F it up I may be out of pocket and without a usable tablet (Apple won't touch it anymore if someone else has been fiddling with it, so same downside with DIY repair).  I could use the opportunity to upgrade, but really, I don't need a newer, more powerful device.

I'm thinking of buying a screen protector like this one, just slapping it on, the continuing on my merry way. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I appreciate any advice from anyone who's had to deal with a cracked screen, too!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Screen protector *after* cracking iPad 2 screen
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
You'll certainly get a bit of a bubble where the bits are missing, but the glass protectors don't seem to diminish the touch screen's sensitivity. 

Mine's an Anker brand (love their stuff), but I don't see that size from Anker.  One thing I did notice is that it took a day or two for the screen to "settle" so that touching the edge (say, with a case) wouldn't raise a corner or edge.  Now that it's been on for a while, I don't see that happening at all.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »
I haven't tried it but thought epoxy or a windshield repair kit could help.  Link below.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/51905/can-auto-glass-chip-repair-kits-fix-cracked-ios-device-screens

Interesting, thank you for sharing!  I wish my screen cracks were confined to the edges as mentioned in the link; a long one stretches diagonally across the screen so filling it in would interfere with the touch sensors in the most heavily-used part.

My DH's iPhone screen has been cracked to hell for a year now (first screen cracked, he replaced it at a no-name shop, second time he didn't bother) and the phone has worked and the screen hasn't gotten worse (he never bothered to add a screen protector afterwards but carries it around in his pocket like normal).  Seeing his experience I'm hoping an inexpensive fix will be enough to keep using the iPad (we paid so much for these devices that I want to use them for as long as realistically possible!)

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:18:07 PM »
Have had two broken screens on the ipad - then bought a Lifeproof case. So far, so good (4 years and going strong). I don't need a screen protector when using it. So many times it has been dropped and Lifeproof has protected it.

For my iphone, I have an Otter box and a screen protector. Have had to replace screen protectors twice as they have cracked after dropping but the Otter box prevents the serious damage.

So I would suggest a strong case and not just a screen protector. It extends the life of your device.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
I suggest trying to repair the screen yourself if you feel up to it. There are many good videos on youtube and the parts are probably $10 or less.

I've never done an iPad but I've replaced the screen on two iPhones. It was fun saving money and more importantly learning new skills. Just set aside an hour or two and stay patient!

Don't worry about "Apple won't touch it" if you mess up the DIY repair. The only reason they will touch it now is if you give them $200 CAD, which you very sensibly aren't willing to do.

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
i would get it fixed third party. they'll have it finished, and you'll be on your way.

I wouldn't worry about Apple refusing to fix an iPad 2. They've forgotten about those already.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations. 

Sydneystache - I've never heard of Lifeproof; those are some serious cases!  They don't seem to make them for old models but I'm going to suggest one for my DH's iPad Air and for his next phone.

geekette - I'll give the screen protector a few days to settle before putting the iPad back in its case.  It's still working perfectly fine.  The cracks are not really bothersome (lucky break, if you'll pardon the pun.  :)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »
Check on Yelp for apple repair places.  There are a lot of them out there, but I found a really good one based on reviews and was impressed.

Your challenge wtih an iPad 2 is between components and labor, I'm not sure its cheaper than replacing, especially at $329 for the new model.  I cringe to even post that on a Mustache Forum...

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
I stuck a cheap screen protector on my son's iPad after he cracked it (smaller cracks than what you describe). It held for years until he dropped it facedown in the parking lot and scattered the screen. The replacement, which included fixing all the dents in the metal case, was $130 UsD.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
I personally wouldn't put any more money into an iPad2, since its OS & apps are no longer being updated/supported. For any iPad that is currently supported, a screen replacement is much less expensive (around $150) than a new iPad. We always use a cover, but the screen got shattered after it was dropped on the one corner that the cover had broken off from. Lesson learned: we replaced the cover along with the screen.
$329 for the newest iPad with 32GB is a great price, IMO.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »
I personally wouldn't put any more money into an iPad2, since its OS & apps are no longer being updated/supported. For any iPad that is currently supported, a screen replacement is much less expensive (around $150) than a new iPad. We always use a cover, but the screen got shattered after it was dropped on the one corner that the cover had broken off from. Lesson learned: we replaced the cover along with the screen.
$329 for the newest iPad with 32GB is a great price, IMO.

I did check out the price of the new iPad ($449 CAD for the basic wifi 32GB model, which would be $507 CAD after tax).  It's a lot less than DH paid for this one six Christmases ago.  But I can't shake the feeling that this one still has a lot of use left in it (and I feel I can't justify spending $500 on a new one when this one still works.  FI > tablet upgrade, and all that.)

I'm going to try a well-reviewed screen protector off Amazon (already have a case) and hope it holds together a few more years, like MsPeacock's son's.  I will seriously look at upgrading if my iPad becomes a business tool and helps me earn income.  Right now it's a Netflix-silly games-web browsing-home videos machine.  :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!