Author Topic: Prepaid, iphone and mms = disappointed wife.  (Read 4294 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Prepaid, iphone and mms = disappointed wife.
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
I mentioned here before that the way I got my wife to try prepaid (a bribe, if you will) was to get her a used Iphone 4. Well, with an Iphone 4 on Tmobile prepaid it seems that MMS doesn't work and the wifey is feeling disappointed. (with the phone, not the service) We have young children and I think she liked the iPhone because it could snap good pictures to send off to friends and family but without MMS and limited data she can't really do that.

Anyone else encounter this? Anyone else find a workable solution?

onemorebike

• Bristles
Re: Prepaid, iphone and mms = disappointed wife.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
I think I just answered my own question:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2383

fimoc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:10:45 AM »
also note that with prepaid on T-mobile you can turn on unlimited use for only days for which you need it.  Since I'm around wifi all day, I use skype and free texting apps on most days.  Then I turn on unlimited calling/texting/web if I go to some place unfamiliar or need to coordinate with a group.  This brings my total bill to $60 for unlimited skype w/ voicemail + $70 for mobile everything or $130 **yearly**.

1e7ksi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
Either that, or she can send the pictures as an email. If sending to relatives phones is important, all you need to do is know what carrier they have, save that as a contact, and thereby send them a text from email.

This is the list for all the gateways needed, worldwide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
Try whatsapp family and friends will have to download it 99 cents but works on 3G and wifi and sends photos no problem.

Best part is it works international at no cost

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »
*looks at the post date*

Try whatsapp family and friends will have to download it 99 cents but works on 3G and wifi and sends photos no problem.

Best part is it works international at no cost

There's superior and less dodgy security-wise than WhatsApp for free (there's a raft of reasons why I won't touch WhatsApp and never recommended them - just do a general search for "whatsapp security" in your favorite search engine). Everything from Kik to Nimbuzz to XMS to working off of a straight up XMPP IM account with Talkonaut, etc., etc., are available though. No shortage of fragmented and diversified methods of swapping text and images on smartphones.

MMS is still the way to go if you just need it to work across all phones, though, and OneMoreBike already got that squared 25 minutes after his first post two months ago.

also note that with prepaid on T-mobile you can turn on unlimited use for only days for which you need it.  Since I'm around wifi all day, I use skype and free texting apps on most days.  Then I turn on unlimited calling/texting/web if I go to some place unfamiliar or need to coordinate with a group.  This brings my total bill to $60 for unlimited skype w/ voicemail + $70 for mobile everything or $130 **yearly**.

You might have more flexibility and possibly save a touch more money going the Platinumtel route.