Author Topic: Saving money for brothers wedding  (Read 6509 times)

wifeytini623

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Saving money for brothers wedding
« on: July 27, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »
Hey mustachians!

My little brother is getting married in September. They're having a small wedding about two hours north of where we live, so fortunately we don't have to worry about flights or rental cars or anything. But we will have to rent a hotel room for at least one night and we'd like to buy them a gift. What would you guys suggest we can do to save money on travel, hotels, gifts, etc?

Thanks!!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: Saving money for brothers wedding
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
You could look into couchsurfing or airbnb... or ask your brother if you can crash with one of his friends! Buy food at the grocery store instead of eating at restaurants.

Gifts... what's wrong with something from the registry?

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:31:27 AM »
Straight cash, homie. Can't go wrong there.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Straight cash, homie. Can't go wrong there.

I agree with this.  Funny how people who think cash is tacky will still accept it... ;)

If not cash, what kind of gift?  Can you get it in an unusual way or make something you know your brother would appreciate (refinish an antique coffee table by hand, create a piece of artwork from his favorite photo of the couple together, etc).  Never assume that a wedding gift must come from Fraudery Barn or Debt, Defraud and Beyond.  Can you pool together as a family for the gift or lodgings?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »
Two hours is within my "drive home after" range.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
Never assume that a wedding gift must come from Fraudery Barn or Debt, Defraud and Beyond. 

My favorite stores ;-)

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
Never assume that a wedding gift must come from Fraudery Barn or Debt, Defraud and Beyond. 

My favorite stores ;-)

We call it Bed, Bath and Behind.

As for the OP: You should feel good that your only expense is a gift, hotel room, and a two-hour drive. Enjoy it!

Cheers.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
I just went to a wedding recently.
We saved on the hotel by staying at a Motel 6 (which my friend's father says is really a "Motel 2.5" :p) instead of the hotel the b&g had gotten a block at. Our two nights were less than one at their hotel, and it was only a few miles farther away.
We did a homemade gift, but I understand that that's not always an option. In our case it's something that the b&g would like and they appreciate homemade. I don't agree with the advice to give money. It will make you want to spend more because they'll know exactly how much you gave. (Plus I think cash is a weird present when you're close to the person, but that's just me and I realize you're asking for financial advice, not gift-selection advice per se.)
For travel, I bought two boxes of granola bars and brought all the fruit in my fridge. That was two breakfasts for three people for about $5 more than what I would have spent anyway (the granola bars--could have been even cheaper, but I needed them gluten free).

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »
If you do want to give a gift from the registry, find something on sale and/or look for coupons so you can maximize the value of your gift. BB&B often has 20% off coupons. Or you can find the gift for cheaper at a different store or Amazon and ask the couple to mark it off on the registry.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
I don't agree with the advice to give money. It will make you want to spend more because they'll know exactly how much you gave. (Plus I think cash is a weird present when you're close to the person, but that's just me and I realize you're asking for financial advice, not gift-selection advice per se.)

I disagree, but it depends on the situation.

We just got married recently and asked for money.  Some still insisted on gifts, which was fine, but they were mostly homemade (quilts, etc) or something very thoughtful; point was, if they're just going to mindlessly give us something, it might as well be cash we can use for a good purchase.  We had been living together for a few years and had all the things we needed.  We are trying to purge and already have silverware, pots, pans, furniture, clothes, etc.  If people would have given us nice things, we would have been giving away the stuff we already have, which is already nice enough.  Getting a bunch of nice things can lead to wanting to "upgrade" other things to match.  Instead, we put money toward the honeymoon and toward our joint account, which we told people we would be doing.

Point being, if you want to give money, sure it's less personal, but it's also more usable.  That is, unless you have a specific gift in mind.  If you want to show him the Mustachian ways you could include a gift card and a personal finance book you think he would like.

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »
I'm totally on board the check inside a card with thoughtful well-wishes as a gift train.

I'm getting married in a few weeks and decidedly do not have a registry.  Mostly as a function of living in an apartment in a city, having limited space, and not wanting a bunch of junk.  While there are certainly kitchen implements we'd like to eventually get, I just don't know how to thoughtfully select everything we need and nothing we don't need to be put on a registry.  Better to slowly and mindfully add the pieces you need (for me).  I for one plan to use any cash gifts we get to max out my Roth for 2014 (partner has already done that, I haven't as my grad student stipend wasn't earned income until this month).

AnetteKincade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 10:19:52 PM »
Saving some amount in preparation for a special occasion like your brother’s wedding is a must. Even without any special occasion, if we observe in our economic situation we can figure out that saving some cash is what we really need. Avoid buying those unnecessary things; instead allocate it to your incoming expense. Collecting coupon is also a great help in conserving some amount. Article source: Coupon clipping can help but it has a dark side

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!