Author Topic: safe to have all investments in Vanguard?  (Read 3211 times)

abhe8

• Bristles
safe to have all investments in Vanguard?
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:10:21 PM »
does anyone have all of their investments (stock wise) with Vanguard? is there risk that the company may someday fold, and then your money would be lost? my dh thinks having your investments (we would be talking about a roth and then a taxable account) both at Vanguard would be quite risky. I think is is incorrect, but could not explain why. help??

also...is is possible to spread your IRA among several brokerage firms? like some of the money with Vanguard, some with Fidelity, some somewhere else?

Thanks!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: safe to have all investments in Vanguard?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
You'd be fine.

Here's your answer:  http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/09/07/stocks-part-x-what-if-vanguard-gets-nuked/

It is possible, but you shouldn't bother.

:)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »
Thanks for asking this question, ABHE. I have wondered the same thing.

Yes -- you can split your IRA contribution between brokerage firms, as long as you don't exceed the yearly maximum.  I did it the year I started shifting my accounts over to Vanguard.  Part of the Roth $5500 annual contribution went to the old brokerage firm, and part went to the new Vanguard account. 

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:15:29 AM »
You'd be fine.

Here's your answer:  http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/09/07/stocks-part-x-what-if-vanguard-gets-nuked/

It is possible, but you shouldn't bother.

:)

Thanks! just what I was looking for. i'll share it with the hubs.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »
I have 100% at Vanguard, except for the 401k's. I'll probably move those to Vanguard when we leave those jobs.