Author Topic: Safe car for teen driver?  (Read 4520 times)

Bluedonner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Safe car for teen driver?
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
Can anyone suggest a safe, reliable car for a teen driver, preferably that gets good gas mileage?  My daughter has been researching and is currently considering Volvos and Scions.  I believe she would prefer to spend $10,000 or less (cash purchase) but has not ruled out a loan.

I hate car shopping with a passion and so would appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Safe car for teen driver?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
Because you picked this web site to ask...why does your daughter need any car at all?

Choosing not to buy one is a great way to avoid the need for car shopping ;).

There may well be a valid reason she needs one, so I really don't mean this to be sarcastic.  But, presumably, she has survived life without a car until now, so...?

Bluedonner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
Unfortunately we live in an area where the bus service is poor (although she does use the bus as much as possible.)  Currently, she is driving my old car, which has 200,000 miles on it.  She can continue to do so for now, as long as it is running, but will eventually need her own vehicle.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
Minivan of almost any flavor.  Only problem is that the seats fold down...

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
Safe, fuel efficient, under 10k? I'd go with a midsized sedan like a 2008+ Accord, 2008+ Fusion, or 2007+ Camry. For a bit less safety but better mileage, 2006+ Civic. As brewer noted, you can get even more safety from minivans, but, of course, you pay for it from the fuel economy standpoint.

I'd stay away from the Volvos as they'll cost more to repair than they did to buy within a few years of ownership. Ditto with Volksagens; the Jetta and Passat are great cars from a safety standpoint, but they tend to have a lot of problems from the reliability standpoint that leads to their having rather low resale values.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:04:39 PM by CarSafetyGuy »

Bluedonner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 12:50:35 AM »
Thank you for the responses.  CarSafetyGuy, your website is fascinating.  I will definitely be checking it out some more.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:52:17 AM »
Love my Scion, would be perfect for a teenaged girl

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  CarSafetyGuy, your website is fascinating.  I will definitely be checking it out some more.

Thanks for the kind words Bluedonner. I do this stuff on a daily basis, and enjoy the opportunity to share it with a wider audience informally.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
Absolutely any car.

Just find a mechanic who can install a governor, so that the car cannot go faster than 60mph.

A Honda Fit at 60mph is safer than a minivan at 80mph

http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com/2012/03/slow-down-my-philosophy-for-life-also.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:43:16 PM by Bakari »

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
On a similar note, you could look into telematics-based insurance. Tracks mileage, time of use, sudden braking and acceleration, plus nice discount for responsible driving

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »
When you say teen, how new of a driver are we talking about?  I ask because a 2 seater might be safer.  Studies link the number of other occupants in a car as distractions to the driver to a higher number of accidents.  So the safer vehicle might be a pickup or sports car.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!