Author Topic: Running a finance panel at a convention  (Read 3270 times)

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
Running a finance panel at a convention
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:57:28 AM »
So I've got an hour an a half panel at one of my local conventions to talk FINANCE with some young, up and coming adults. (18-30 range) I've got a basic idea of what I want for this panel, but I'm interested in the thoughts of the community here. If you had an hour and a half to talk about anything finance and get some young adults on the mustachian path, how would you do it? What would you talk about? Would it be freeflowing? Would it follow a strict set of topics? Would you do more answering of questions or direct material? Would it be more on debt or retirement? More on cutting expenses or investing? What would be your plan to get these guys on the right track?

pka222

• Stubble
Re: Running a finance panel at a convention
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:46:54 AM »
Ask for a few examples of the audiences "dreams" in one sentence- idea here is that no one dreams of being a  wage slave
Talk about choices - can't do everything- so we chose to watch TV or read that book, work overtime or leave early
Then move on to " who knows how much they spend each year"? kind of questions - i.e. do you know how much is going out each year/month/day
then link the 3 together- If you want to "start that business, be a good dad, hike the pacific crest trail" you'll need to make at least $XX per day/year and keep making choices - to follow that dream or to keep adding to your expenses (cars, cloths etc) 

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
Wow. This is a fantastic idea! Thank you for the advice! I'll certainly be using that!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
See if you can plagiarize any curriculum from the Bogleheads Financial Literacy project:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads%C2%AE_financial_literacy_project

j-lu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
I would talk about the power of compounding interest.  The idea that I could have "X" if I invested so much in so many years made a huge impact on me in my early 20s and got me on a good path to saving/investing. 

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
@ Nords- great link- reading some of the slides now
Vitai- in 30 minutes you only have time for a few key points to "stick". if the audience is "the uninitiated" stick to the "why" question- why be smart about money, why not add more debt/things/obligations- and the answer - this will get in the way of living life.
good luck

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:35:50 PM »
Shockingly simple math of early retirement (savings rate is king). That is what really stuck with me when I first learned about ER.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
the guy from no more harvard debt blog has a nice powerpoint on consumption