Author Topic: Roommate agreement? Repair Honda Civic rust?  (Read 2618 times)

Singularity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Roommate agreement? Repair Honda Civic rust?
« on: November 09, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
Single, 36, no dependents.

I'm moving to NE Maryland for a job and trying to keep my expenses low.  I'm considering being a roommate for a year although I have not done that since college. 

2000 Honda Civic with 178k, its been solid with only the common exhaust replacement issues. 
It is just starting to get a touch of rust in the wheel wells and rust specs on the hood. 
Is it worth attempting to DIY repair this or just let it ride and save to pay cash for a newer used car in a year? Recommended shop quoted $1200 to replace the hood, paint, and seal the undercarriage and optional $700 for rear windshield rust.  The Catalytic converter will need replacing since its internals are rattling ($420).

Any recommendations for roommate agreements, interviews, ect? 
Maryland has a 3% local tax rate which is tipple from where I live now although the roads do seam nicer :) 
Any recommendations for NE Maryland area near Havre de grace? 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:51:29 AM by Singularity »

Thoughtful Mule

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Roommate agreement? Repair Honda Civic rust?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
I had roommates for 10 years after college. I didn't need it, but I didn't mind and it generated some nice cash income.  I always had them sign a lease agreement. It doesn't need to be elaborate, but must spell out the basics. Get familiar with the landlord tenant laws in your area, for good measure.

As for the car, I wouldn't spend money on cosmetics. Maybe get some buffing compound at the auto parts store and polish the hood. Then keep up a coat of wax to prevent it from getting worse. I personally wouldn't replace the catalytic converter either. I may get flamed for saying this, but Id take it to a muffler shop and have them cut it out and replace it with a straight pipe. Should be under $100.

My best piece of advice is to ditch the car and ride a bike. So many benefits.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:10:22 AM »
I had roommates for 10 years after college. I didn't need it, but I didn't mind and it generated some nice cash income.  I always had them sign a lease agreement. It doesn't need to be elaborate, but must spell out the basics. Get familiar with the landlord tenant laws in your area, for good measure.

As for the car, I wouldn't spend money on cosmetics. Maybe get some buffing compound at the auto parts store and polish the hood. Then keep up a coat of wax to prevent it from getting worse. I personally wouldn't replace the catalytic converter either. I may get flamed for saying this, but Id take it to a muffler shop and have them cut it out and replace it with a straight pipe. Should be under $100.

My best piece of advice is to ditch the car and ride a bike. So many benefits.

Not flaming you, but wouldnt removing the catalytic converter guarantee that the car will fail emissions testing and not qualify for legally being put on the road?

As for the rust, I wouldnt spend more than $10 or $15 on cosmetic repair of a year 2000 vehicle. My 1999 Cherokee is well rusted over and I wont spend a penny on it. Performance is impacted ZERO. I'm not worrying about resale value as my plan is to drive it into the ground at the lowest cost per day of use, then invest in another vehicle (used) when the time comes. Get over your car pride/ego. :)

Singularity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:11:05 PM »

Not flaming you, but wouldnt removing the catalytic converter guarantee that the car will fail emissions testing and not qualify for legally being put on the road?

As for the rust, I wouldnt spend more than $10 or $15 on cosmetic repair of a year 2000 vehicle. My 1999 Cherokee is well rusted over and I wont spend a penny on it. Performance is impacted ZERO. I'm not worrying about resale value as my plan is to drive it into the ground at the lowest cost per day of use, then invest in another vehicle (used) when the time comes. Get over your car pride/ego. :)
[/quote]

Its an interesting idea although Maryland has emissions testing which is required soon after registering the vehicle in the state, so that would not work well :)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »
A quick search on autotrader shows your car to be worth $3-4k.  After you put close to $1200-1900 in cosmetic repairs, it will still be worth about 3-4.  Unless we are talking about a sought after classic, I don't see any gain in spending half the car's value in rust repair. 

As far as the roommate, financially you will be better off, happiness is a coin flip.  It all depends on who the roommate is. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »
If the rust is just on the wheel arches and bonnet, just leave it. I mean, spray rust-cure or whatever oil you can get to slow the rot, but... it's a 2000 Civic. Put POR whatever (15?) on it to kill the rust and spray paint it. Don't spend serious money on it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 06:16:32 AM »
I wouldn't bother with the rust.