Author Topic: Roomba 4 Xmas? Do they really work? Is this facepunch worthy?  (Read 37837 times)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Re: Roomba 4 Xmas? Do they really work? Is this facepunch worthy?
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »
I recently heard that Roombas often freak family dogs out because they don't know where they stand in the pack order.  Here's a new "creature" that doesn't seem to follow orders or help the family pack.  A tip from a dog trainer was to let your dog see you "disciplining" the Roomba to re-establish pack order.
I hadn't thought about it from that point of view!  He isn't overly traumatized, by any means, and it genuinely does entertain us.  Before you think we're totally heartless, when we run it, we do leave the pocket door into the next room open 8-10" -- enough for him to escape, if he chooses, but not enough for the Roomba to get into that (linoleum -- no vac needed) room. 

If it becomes an issue, I can see "disciplining" the Roomba . . . but wouldn't the dog think we're lax disciplinarians when the Roomba never obeys, and we don't force the issue?  We were pretty strict with him when he was a pup, and now he's a well-behaved critter.  Would he think we care for the Roomba more than for him?  I suspect I'm attaching more thought to the concept than would the dog. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
The Mint is totally silent so the dogs ignore it.  They sniffed it a few times while it was moving but that's it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
I recently heard that Roombas often freak family dogs out because they don't know where they stand in the pack order.  Here's a new "creature" that doesn't seem to follow orders or help the family pack.  A tip from a dog trainer was to let your dog see you "disciplining" the Roomba to re-establish pack order.
I hadn't thought about it from that point of view!  He isn't overly traumatized, by any means, and it genuinely does entertain us.  Before you think we're totally heartless, when we run it, we do leave the pocket door into the next room open 8-10" -- enough for him to escape, if he chooses, but not enough for the Roomba to get into that (linoleum -- no vac needed) room. 

If it becomes an issue, I can see "disciplining" the Roomba . . . but wouldn't the dog think we're lax disciplinarians when the Roomba never obeys, and we don't force the issue?  We were pretty strict with him when he was a pup, and now he's a well-behaved critter.  Would he think we care for the Roomba more than for him?  I suspect I'm attaching more thought to the concept than would the dog.

You could just command the Roomba to do what it normally does anyway. "Roomba, Sit!" when you stop it. "Roomba, Clean!" when you turn it on. "Roomba, Crate!" when you put it away.
The hardest part would be keeping a straight face.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »
We (briefly) had a Roomba (because: pets).  We thought we loved it...  except it really scratched the floor.  Every time it did the bump and turn, you'd get these circular scratches where the front wheel drug itself across the floor.

We worked with iRobot tech support and took their suggestions.  (Replacing front wheel, covering front week with electrical tape.) ... Those did not work.

I think I might could have hacked it to make it work, but by the time we fiddled around with it and dealt with iRobot... we were at the end of when Amazon would take it back, so we returned it.

Bottom line: if you have a glossy type floor (ours is stained concrete)... they may scratch.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
We've had a Roomba for at least 6 or 7 years. On our second one as the last one had a sensor crap out on us. Its name is Ein.

We have hardwood and tile floors with low pile rugs and it works beautifully for keeping up with the day to day crap. I actually kind of enjoy combing out the brush (I'm a bit OCD) so the maintenance doesn't bother me.

I have cats. We use crystal litter which means that there are tiny little shards of crystal that get tracked all over our house and I like to go barefoot so the roomba is run several times a week to pick up the litter and the hair/dust. I also have a very expensive vacuum (Riccar - USA made, comparable to the Miele) that we drag out about once a month since that is the actual deep cleaning machine. The roomba is to pick up the dust buffalo and litter and crap that gets tracked in the house. And I don't regret it one bit.

Sure, it's a luxury, but I absolutely love it and saves me time and I also still get a kick out of the beep doodle sounds when it's finished and I do say "Good boy" after it docks itself. And we've also noticed that if you go over to where it's charging and listen... it sounds like it's freaking breathing! :D

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 01:50:12 PM by Frankies Girl »