Author Topic: Rollover Old 401k Accounts  (Read 1948 times)

Ilovewine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rollover Old 401k Accounts
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:32:28 PM »
I have one 401k and one rollover IRA account that I had chosen "Target Date" funds.  I recently realized I am paying way too much in fees.  I started the rollover process to Vanguard.  After looking at these accounts they have dropped thousands in the past few months.  I'm not too concerned since I'm "in it for the long haul", but would like advice if it's a good or bad time to rollover these accounts.  Thanks!!!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Rollover Old 401k Accounts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »
It doesn't matter - the best time to move it is usually "right now." The few days/weeks that the money is in transfer is not going to matter at all years from now. As long as you get it back in the market when you can, you're fine.

Sure, it sucks to see the market go crazy while you're basically sitting on the sidelines, but it's not a big deal in the long run.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:59:30 PM by Frankies Girl »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Rollover Old 401k Accounts
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »
I have one 401k and one rollover IRA account that I had chosen "Target Date" funds.  I recently realized I am paying way too much in fees.  I started the rollover process to Vanguard.  After looking at these accounts they have dropped thousands in the past few months.  I'm not too concerned since I'm "in it for the long haul", but would like advice if it's a good or bad time to rollover these accounts.  Thanks!!!
In a taxable account, taxes on capital gains should be considered.  In your case, because there are no tax considerations (other than possible wash sales) when switching funds within IRAs, the fee savings will likely suggest that "as soon as possible" is the right time.  Whether your current balance is higher or lower than it was some time ago is irrelevant.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!