Author Topic: Florida and Covid 19  (Read 2089 times)

better late

• Bristles
Florida and Covid 19
« on: March 17, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
I am feeling pretty calm that my people are either self-isolating or being super careful if they go out, with the exception of our oldest family members who are spending the winter in Florida. I keep looking at the numbers of older/senior citizens in Florida (approx 6 million) and the rate at which they need hospitalization from this virus and I’m getting really concerned. Additionally I think they relish the attitude of “we’ll be fine; it won’t happen here” so they are not taking precautions. Their elected officials are behind. I’m worried about Florida becoming the Italy of the US. I guess they all think they’ll get one of the 6,000 ICU beds when/if they fall ill

What do you think. Am I stressing unnecessarily about this one situation?

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
Re: Florida and Covid 19
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 02:22:28 PM »
I'm also concerned about FL... specifically the coastal areas that are currently jam packed with spring breakers.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 02:25:14 PM »
Well, they're chasing spring break visitors off the beaches now, so I'd say that's the cohort that isn't so worried.

However, as I get older I am less fussed about the idea that I'm going to die some day. I'm not interested in doing it this year, but it's just less worrying to me than it would have been when I was in my 20's, or when my kids were young.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 01:22:18 AM »
I have a friend in Florida who says that the people around her, including family, coworkers, and clients are just... not taking it very seriously.  A serious lack of social distancing or concern or preparation.  And unfortunately her town is a very red area where a lot of Trump minded folks tuned in when he claimed that COVID-19 was 'just a hoax' and have dismissed all updates since then (including CDC & new proclamations from the White House) as 'fake news.'  Add in the Spring Break tourists, and.... hoo boy.

I don't think you're stressing for no reason.  I'm glad that you and your folks are hunkering down and doing the smart thing while you can.  Maybe stock up a little more than you already have, in case FL does get hard hit. :C

afterthedark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 02:43:47 AM »
I am feeling pretty calm that my people are either self-isolating or being super careful if they go out, with the exception of our oldest family members who are spending the winter in Florida. I keep looking at the numbers of older/senior citizens in Florida (approx 6 million) and the rate at which they need hospitalization from this virus and I’m getting really concerned. Additionally I think they relish the attitude of “we’ll be fine; it won’t happen here” so they are not taking precautions. Their elected officials are behind. I’m worried about Florida becoming the Italy of the US. I guess they all think they’ll get one of the 6,000 ICU beds when/if they fall ill

Are your concerns justified? From what you’ve said, yes they are. The question really is can you personally change anything, and other than making your opinion known to your relatives the answer is probably no. They are adults and can make their own decisions and live with the consequences.

There is no benefit to worrying about things we can’t control and most of what is happening at the moment is out of our control. We would be better off concentrating our time/energy/worry/focus on the things we can do something about. I’m talking to myself here as much as anyone else, because this is going to be ongoing for many months so we need to keep ourselves emotionally well as well as physically well to be able to get through it.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 05:47:27 AM »
I'm in Florida. We're a little slow, admittedly, but the governor shut many things down yesterday to be in line with other places. I don't think we will become Italy.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 05:52:27 AM »
My mom started telling my 85 year old grandpa to come.home a week ago.

She finally convinced him on Friday.

He's still not leaving until this Friday because apparently very old people are slow as 2 year olds at getting out the door.

He has Medicare advantage and has almost no medical coverage in FL because he is an idiot and wanted to save money.

We are just hoping he gets back home before catching it, and stays home once he gets home. If he doesn't.... Well.... His life choices. He had the knowledge and privilege to avoid this.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »

Are your concerns justified? From what you’ve said, yes they are. The question really is can you personally change anything, and other than making your opinion known to your relatives the answer is probably no. They are adults and can make their own decisions and live with the consequences.

There is no benefit to worrying about things we can’t control and most of what is happening at the moment is out of our control. We would be better off concentrating our time/energy/worry/focus on the things we can do something about. I’m talking to myself here as much as anyone else, because this is going to be ongoing for many months so we need to keep ourselves emotionally well as well as physically well to be able to get through it.

Thank you for the perspective. And Cranky, your words also gave me perspective.

I also hesitate to tell our 70/80 year old snowbirds to leave Florida because they would have to go someplace else.  I’m not confident enough to say their northern state is going to be a better bet than than Florida is going to be in 7 days. There’s no data. It’s all gut feel and generalizations.

NYT made a good point about using nursing home excess capacity for medical care. There sure are a lot of nursing homes in Florida and I think they’ve been building a lot of them in anticipation of the boomers getting old.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/us/coronavirus-florida-desantis.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:39:02 AM »
We worry for my 77 yo FIL, who isn't much into social distancing.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 10:53:45 AM »

I've sadly come to the conclusion that ignorant, stupid, stubborn people will continue to be ignorant, stupid and stubborn.   

Choices have consequences and they've made their choices.

I feel sorry for the folks who didn't make those ignorant, stupid and stubborn choices that might not get a ventilator due to one this group of morons.

I wish there was some way we could instruct doctors to prioritize their care for people who took precautions and put the idiots last on the list.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
Where I am in FL, a lot of places are only doing take out which has forced most of us to stay in doors. I do still feel, we are quite meh about it.