Author Topic: Roku vs. Chromecast vs. Kindle Fire - and golf  (Read 9005 times)

AliInKY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Roku vs. Chromecast vs. Kindle Fire - and golf
« on: November 29, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
We are working on a solution for our biggest money suck - satellite television.  I'm no technology dummy but it was only yesterday I finally figured out how the whole Roku / Chromecast / Kindle Fire Stick things work.  A couple of questions:

1) Anybody out there a Golf Channel fan and NOT paying for satellite?  I'd like to figure out how to get Mr. Bluegrass his one true TV love while using one of the streaming solutions.

2) I'm leaning toward the Kindle Fire Stick.  We are Kindle and Android phone owners, and it's what we're familiar with.  Can two Amazon accounts use the same Fire Stick?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Roku vs. Chromecast vs. Kindle Fire - and golf
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »
Can't address either of the specific questions - sorry.  Do know that our kids got us Roku for Christmas and DW loves it, even limiting ourselves to free options.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:36:39 PM »
I have no experience with the others, I bought  chromecast in preparation for cutting my satellite. It was 29.99 at Best Buy. It was very easy to set up and works great.  I love it.  We will be cancelling our satellite as soon as March madness is over.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:02:35 PM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/roku/msg491523/#msg491523          bought roku based on recommendations from this post.  Love it.  Can't comment on others.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »
I don't know of any way to view the Golf Channel without a paid TV subscription.  Some TV providers will provide you with a password to watch the Golf Channel's content online, but only if you also have a paid subscription that includes the Golf Channel.

health teacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
We just cut the cord about a week ago. To start I bought a Roku stick and a Chromecast. We decided to purchase roku sticks for our TV's. We are paying for Hulu Plus and Netflix. Roku has a smart phone app which turns the phone into a remote. It has been great thus far. From what I have read, Roku provides the closest thing to a tradionalTV channel set up.

As for Golf Channel, I know Dish is releasing Sling TV with 12 live channels for $20 per month. They are going to have a $5 sports add on and Golf Channel "could" be a part of it. More details should come out in a few weeks.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:37:18 PM »
Have chromecast and Roku. I haven't used Roku much - I hardly watch TV (like less than 1 hour per month) and haven't been that interested in the channels that they offer. However, chromecast can stream anything off your computer or tablet or whatever - and is super easy to set-up. It is also only $30 or so, which I think is 1/3 the cost of Roku. Given the amount of free or very low cost viewing to be had online (Netflix, specific shows which run their episodes online, etc.) I've been quite content w/ chromecast.

r3dt4rget

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »
I would recommend Chromecast. Not only is it the cheapest, but it's design is by far the best. With Roku and other streaming devices you are limited to what apps and services the company decides to provide. The device is the media player. With Chromecast, your android phone, tablet, PC, or iphone, ipad, ipod, Mac is the media player (we all already have those) and the Chromecast is just the receiver. Everything is controlled via your device, no need for remotes. A few things unique to Chromecast:

1. Cast your android phone/tablet screen directly to the TV in real time. Everything you see on the phone is on the TV, including sound.
2. Cast your Chrome browser tabs to your TV. From your PC, phone, etc. Any device on the same network as the Chromecast can cast to it.
3. Any android app can be streamed to the TV. For example, if there is a service or app not available on Roku, simply open in with your tablet/phone and stream through Chromecast. With Chromecast there is no need to have a dedicated streaming app

lise

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
Chromecast for me. 
Only downside is I haven't worked out how to stream amazon instant video from an iPad.  I can stream amazon content from computer ok using chrome as my browser.