Author Topic: ROI on mortgage payoff  (Read 1122 times)

BraveSirRobin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
ROI on mortgage payoff
« on: August 01, 2021, 05:30:16 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster. Hope I am ok to post here - this did not feel like post worth a Case.

I am looking for input if my thinking about the math of partially paying off my mortgage is sound. I have a 15 year loan with about 240k left to pay off and currently about $100k equity in the house (based on what we paid, but at least $150k compared to the current market). We refinanced the mortgage last winter so the interest is relatively low. We are currently planning to sell and move in 4 years when our kid is done with school and new adventures await.

401k is maxed out and we have no other credits/loans to worry about. We have a full rainy day fund that covers us 6 months.  According to some people that means the next thing should be to pay off the mortgage. While that makes sense from the perspective of becoming debt free, I cannot see that it currently is a good "investment" (best use of available cash).

As an example:
Over the next 4 years I am scheduled to pay a total of $20k in interest (based on mortgage schedule).
If I were to pay off $60k on the principal, I would instead pay about $14k interest in the coming 4 years (month 50-97 on the schedule).
That is a savings of $6k equivalent to 2.411% compound interest per year.

That does not seem like a great investment to me. It is of course very low risk compared to other investments, but my own risk willingness is higher. Is the math this simple or am I missing something major when thinking about this? Looking for input if my math/thinking is correct, not investment advice.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: ROI on mortgage payoff
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 06:06:20 PM »
Don't do it. Look at the investment order sticky post. Then read JL Collins stock series. He breaks it down pretty simply.  You can open IRAs and contribute 6k/year each for yourself and spouse (traditional vs Roth is another argument but either one would be better than paying down the mortgage). If you still have more to invest then just do a taxable account.

Partially paying down the mortgage is not a guaranteed return, because you lose access to the funds until you sell the house. The bank only cares about whether they get next months payment, so you can get just as foreclosed whether you owe 50k or 150k. Better to owe 150k and have 100k (plus gains) in a taxable account. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 06:11:28 PM »
The interest you ‘save’ is only one side of the coin, and a fairly warped one at that (more about that in a minute). The other is the opportunity cost - what that money could have done for you if invested in something different.

Given that you refinanced to a 15y last year, I’m going to venture that your mortgage rate is 2.x%. If that money was just sitting around as cash under your mattress (or in a 0% checking account) it would be very straightforward - putting it towards a mortgage saves you in interest payments.  But there are other options on where to put your money, and those are likely to earn more than 0% (some guaranteed, some just highly likely).

As for your math, what you are missing is inflation. Whenever mortgage pay-off calculators show how much interest you will pay over a given time period, they almost always ignore inflation: a dollar in inflation paid today is equal to a dollar paid several years down the road. We know that’s almost certainly not going to be the case. In your example, the interest saved four years from now will likely be discounted 10-14%, depending on whether inflation goes over the next few years.  All of which means the ‘guaranteed returns’ will be much lower in real (inflation adjusted) terms than the yield on your 15y mortgage.  All because you are borrowing at a fixed rate set in stone a year ago.

Here, an inflationary environment becomes your friend.  If we are going to see “above average” inflatino (which most people read as >2.5%) as many suggest, the ‘return’ you get on paying down your mortgage will be substantially less, and quite possibly negative.

Finally - before I get flamed by the POYM crowd, I don’t think it’s a bad move on your part. As you’ve said you’ve maxed out your tax-advantaged accounts and have a sufficient E-fund. Reducing your expenses by axing the mortgage has its own benefits. But calculating what ‘the math’ is requires some knowledge of future conditions and a comparison of what your opportunity cost is.

mastrr

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 08:17:22 PM »
The cash on cash return of putting down $60,000 to save an additional $1,500 per year over the next 4 years is 2.5%.  I'm not an expert in math behind mortgages but comes out to about what you are calculating.

Personally, I subscribe to paying mortgages off early.  A riskier option that I like
 as well is putting that $60k in an index fund that mirrors the S&P 500.  With a 7% return over 4 years your $60,000 turns into $78,648.

Now when you are buying your new house using that $78,648 + $100k in equity as a downpayment on your new home (if your goal to pay off your next house ASAP).

That being said, can't go wrong with stashing the $60k towards your current mortgage.  Keep up the good work and being intentional with your money to become debt free!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
Pet peeve:

Keep in mind the 7% long term return of the S&P 500 we always talk about is after inflation. When comparing to making additional payments on the mortgage it makes sense to use the non-inflation adjusted return of the S&P 500 which is ~9.3%.

OP:

One thing you might be missing in your math: do you normally take the standard deduction or itemize? If itemizing (rarer than it used to be), the return of additional payments is lower as the less interest you pay, the more you'll pay in income tax.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 04:36:42 AM »
Pet peeve:

Keep in mind the 7% long term return of the S&P 500 we always talk about is after inflation. When comparing to making additional payments on the mortgage it makes sense to use the non-inflation adjusted return of the S&P 500 which is ~9.3%.

Precisely.  When people talk about the long-term averages of the market it’s often adjusted (i.e. 7%); when they speak of the ‘return’ on paying down their mortgage, it’s almost never adjusted.  In shorter time periods (0-3 years) it can be negligible. For longer time periods, like the amortization of a 15 or30y mortgage, it can be substantial.

BraveSirRobin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 08:28:02 AM »
Thank you all very much for the input! I had definitely neglected thinking about the inflation.