Author Topic: Robo Mowers  (Read 4876 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Robo Mowers
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
I know the opinion around here is do it yourself.  But if you're not going to do it yourself - the rise of the machine allows for a greatly offset cost vs paying another human being to do your mowing. 

I'm not looking to gear this thread into a debate of if its mustachian or not - I've done some research and a reasonable quality robo mower for a 1/4 acre is around 750 if you get it at the lowest camecamelcamel shows.  and using some tricks i think i can get it down to 5-600 bucks - and its got a 3 year warranty. so if it dies at the end of 3 years i've spent 200 a year to not mow my lawn. - thats a price i can live with annually - and thats worst case scenario. 

So anyone out there have a robo mower?  which one did you get - what do you like/dislike about it. 

i'm looking at the worx landroid seems to fit my needs. 

One of my large questions if anyone has one is how you handle fences. 

how much electricity is it using b/c that will add to the overall annual cost to not mow my lawn. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Robo Mowers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:17 AM »
Following, husband wants one of these. We would need a model that is good at going around lots of trees and other obstacles. He mows about an acre around our house, plus walking paths.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:15:53 PM »
I've also considered this idea. My neighborhood has very small yards and one these could easily do my yard and also 2-3 other yards that join my lot with the potential to earn $30 per yard. So maybe i could earn money with this investment.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
I've also considered this idea. My neighborhood has very small yards and one these could easily do my yard and also 2-3 other yards that join my lot with the potential to earn $30 per yard. So maybe i could earn money with this investment.

I've strongly considered asking my neighbors if they'd like this done... i could just put the cable into their yard and let the little guy do his job.  actually make a profit on it. 

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
I know the opinion around here is do it yourself.  But if you're not going to do it yourself - the rise of the machine allows for a greatly offset cost vs paying another human being to do your mowing. 

I'm not looking to gear this thread into a debate of if its mustachian or not - I've done some research and a reasonable quality robo mower for a 1/4 acre is around 750 if you get it at the lowest camecamelcamel shows.  and using some tricks i think i can get it down to 5-600 bucks - and its got a 3 year warranty. so if it dies at the end of 3 years i've spent 200 a year to not mow my lawn. - thats a price i can live with annually - and thats worst case scenario. 

So anyone out there have a robo mower?  which one did you get - what do you like/dislike about it. 

how much electricity is it using b/c that will add to the overall annual cost to not mow my lawn.

What is this?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:14:57 PM »

What is this?

It's typo'd, but he means this site, which tracks prices on Amazon:
https://camelcamelcamel.com/

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
yeah i'm actually a bigger fan of keepa now but it sthe same just shows in the amazon page.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
wrong site for consuma sucka advice ;)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »

What is this?

Thanks, rad site!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »
wrong site for consuma sucka advice ;)

do you wash your clothes in the crick with a homemade washboard? or do you own a washing machine... how about a dishwasher.... or an air conditioner... or a computer ... or a cell phone... hmm

there is a certain level at which it becomes more economical and valuable to life to add new inventions and progressive tech to your day to day.  Robo mowers are rapidly approaching this.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:23:34 PM by boarder42 »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:40:45 PM »

What is this?

Thanks, rad site!

keepa is a bit better as it appears on the page its a chrome extension.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »
amazon just dropped the price on the worx to 599 i get 10% cb with discover gonna give it a whirl for 540 bucks.  3 year warranty - worst case it doesnt work and i just resell it for around what i paid.  or it works but dies in 3 years and the cost to mow my lawn for 3 years was 180 bucks a year.  thats a pretty low annual fee for lawn mowing. 

we're moving quickly towards a Wall-E world.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
These look pretty interesting.  So they are out there cutting your lawn everyday?  I have a half acre, but with the house, driveway, deck and garden taking up a bunch, I wonder if this thing could handle it.

Otherwise there are some other brands that say they work up to 3/4 acre, but the price jumps up considerably, $2100: http://amzn.to/2zC33ZP

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
If you read reviews there are many people using it on 1/2 acre to 1 acre worth of grass without issues. So you should be fine.  My biggest concern is how it will handle my hill from front to back.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »
This Old House did an episode where they talked about the robo mowers.

Personally, I kinda need the exercise from mowing the yard. It makes me get outside, and actually go to every part of my yard which I don't do otherwise. I'm far more likely to spot an issue because I'm in that section of the yard mowing than if I'm not ever over there.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »

You realize that was a dystopia, right?  Just checking...

I'm more interested in a flail mower than a robo mower, but still can't run one of those because it'd spark and light my hillside on fire.  Again.  F*cking hate cheatgrass right now.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 05:07:52 AM »

You realize that was a dystopia, right?  Just checking...

I'm more interested in a flail mower than a robo mower, but still can't run one of those because it'd spark and light my hillside on fire.  Again.  F*cking hate cheatgrass right now.

Yes I realize it was dystopia. That comment was half sarcastic but mostly true.  We're less than 20years away from the entire energy and transportation world's being flipped on their heads.  Besides the fact that these little machines are becoming increasingly economical and better at the task they perform

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 06:01:48 AM »
I have a EGO electric mower and it was the best mower purchase in the history of...me :) Anyway, to your question about electricity cost I would guess that it is miniscule. If my e-bike is any comparison it cost about $0.10 per full charge and that got me to and from work (pre-FIRE) for a week (about 60 miles).

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 06:40:16 AM »
yeah i figured electricity would be next to nothing i currently own a toro e-cycler - it does well but for comparison - this mower will cost me about 550 after all costs considered.  and most E mowers are 300 or more and now i dont have to mow.  If fired i'd have much more time to mow and may take up that hobby in 6 years - but unlikely.  tech is reaching the point its taking over more of our manual labor and allowing for more fun time. 

i'd liken this to a washing machine or a dishwasher in time savings for relatively low cost at this point.  we plan to travel alot in FIRE as well and this will make it simpler to go away and possibly cheaper since we wont be paying for a lawn service while we're gone. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
we plan to travel alot in FIRE as well and this will make it simpler to go away and possibly cheaper since we wont be paying for a lawn service while we're gone.

You have way, way more trust in a robot with a kinetic energy weapon than I do, if you're going to let it roam around while you're not even in the country.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!