Author Topic: Road trip from CT to OH  (Read 10364 times)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Road trip from CT to OH
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm going on a trip from Connecticut to Ohio on November 21st-23rd. I'm going with some college buddies and was wondering if there are any cool/interesting/tasty places to stop along the way that would be mustachian (we're broke in college after all). It can be a place, food, anything! It's a large distance but any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

megamomo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Road trip from CT to OH
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
As long as the route ends in Cincinnati at a Skyline Chili, that's all you really need.

pzxc

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
Hershey, Pennsylvania?  Niagara Falls?

There isn't much between Connecticut and Ohio that is interesting, in my opinion.  But I'm biased against the northern states as I fled them for warmer weather.

Oh, Gettysburg is really cool if you like history.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
Where in Ohio are you headed?  I live in Western PA, and depending on if you will be heading into Ohio on I-90, I-80, or I-76 there are some pretty cool places to stop.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
Hardly a road trip - that's just a half day's drive. Eight hours. You can do it with just one fill-up in the middle.

There's not much along the way. A few tiny wineries.

You'll be passing through a lot of moderately populated area, so traffic will never quite let up - don't expect anything remotely like empty roads until you're out past Chicago (13 hours). The only really nice area to drive through on that trip is western PA.

Want my advice? Just grab some pillows for everyone not driving, leave early, and you're there before you know it.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
As long as the route ends in Cincinnati at a Skyline Chili, that's all you really need.

It does, actually! Thanks for the idea, I'll keep it in mind.

Where in Ohio are you headed?  I live in Western PA, and depending on if you will be heading into Ohio on I-90, I-80, or I-76 there are some pretty cool places to stop.
I believe we'll be taking I-80 (the route that goes through Wilkes-Barre?). I want to say this is the most effective route but I'm not entirely sure yet. Still planning it out.

Hardly a road trip - that's just a half day's drive. Eight hours. You can do it with just one fill-up in the middle.

There's not much along the way. A few tiny wineries.

You'll be passing through a lot of moderately populated area, so traffic will never quite let up - don't expect anything remotely like empty roads until you're out past Chicago (13 hours). The only really nice area to drive through on that trip is western PA.

Want my advice? Just grab some pillows for everyone not driving, leave early, and you're there before you know it.
I think it'll take 13 hours, as we're leaving from the eastern CT area and traveling all the way to Cincinnati. Yeah it's not too bad of a trip but I think it'd be cool to stop at any interesting places. Also, I'm driving haha.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:59:46 PM by Cwadda »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
Hum. Who knew. Just looked it up, it might really take you 12 hours if you keep to the speed limit. (By the way, I wouldn't drive above 75 in OH, even if the speed limit raises to 70.) It's funny how it only takes 8 to where I once spent a night, and only 13 to Chicago. You've got some slow areas according to google; I suspect you'll pass them rather quicker than it estimates. I still figure 10-11, not 12 or 13, unless you stop a lot or drive slowly.

I-80 is definitely the fastest route.

There's still nothing to see, sadly. Unless you want to drive through Gary, to see what possibly the worst city/town in the USA looks like.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »
So I'm guessing you are going to take Rt. 84 from CT across NY and into PA, come down Rt. 81 through Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, and then pick up I-80 all the way through PA into Ohio, picking up Rt. 71 down to Cincinnati. I'm very familiar with the part of the trip that would incorporate Danbury, CT to northeastern Ohio. I don't think there is anything interesting enough to make it worth stopping in the middle of the trip to see it. I've always wanted to spend some time in the Pennsylvania Wilds, but when traveling cross-country and not really on a vacation, there's never been time to do that, and I have not really had the right gear with me anyway. I think your best bet is just to drive straight through and get to Cincinnati. I'd suggest packing your own good sandwiches or whatever in a cooler, and take your own good coffee in a thermos if you are a coffee drinker. Once the thermos coffee runs out, you'll have to purchase more, of course. The rest stops along 84, 81, and 80 in Pennsylvania are handy, but only have vending machines with hot and cold drinks and snacks. I've never had much luck eating at truck stop restaurants (service seems very slow if you're not a trucker), but have learned to get hot or cold drinks and sandwiches/snacks at those little travel stores where you stop to get gas. And of course, McDonald's. Be careful of the 55 mph. speed limits through Scranton-Wilkes-Barre. The locals ignore it, but with out of state plates, I'm afraid to speed through there. There is a lot of road construction going on all through Pennsylvania right now. It won't make you come to a stop, but there is a lot of slowing to 45 or 55 and one-lane closures all across PA, particularly in eastern PA near the NY line and then again in western PA when you're nearing Ohio. I just drove from Beacon, NY to Youngstown, Ohio on Oct. 31, so my info is current.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »
Forgot to say that Niagara Falls is great, but crazy out-of-the-way. Hershey Park is fun, too, but probably not in the third week of November, and that's actually out-of-the-way, too. I like the historical stuff in southwestern PA--Fort Ligonier, Fort Necessity, Braddock's road and all that--Frank Lloyd Wright's house, Fallingwater….but that stuff is not really on the way either.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »
Hum. Who knew. Just looked it up, it might really take you 12 hours if you keep to the speed limit. (By the way, I wouldn't drive above 75 in OH, even if the speed limit raises to 70.) It's funny how it only takes 8 to where I once spent a night, and only 13 to Chicago. You've got some slow areas according to google; I suspect you'll pass them rather quicker than it estimates. I still figure 10-11, not 12 or 13, unless you stop a lot or drive slowly.

I-80 is definitely the fastest route.

There's still nothing to see, sadly. Unless you want to drive through Gary, to see what possibly the worst city/town in the USA looks like.

You may want to take a look at that map again.  Chicago and Gary are nowhere near Cincinnati.  Traveling through them to get to Cincinnati could possibly have your trip planning license revoked as well.

Although I do agree with you that Ohio cops are dicks that will get you for 5 mph over the limit if you have out of state plates.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton.  The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.  That's all I got.  Sorry.

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
If you're starting out on 84 and heading down to i80, you could go down 287 in NY/NJ to hit 80 earlier than you would if you took 81 through the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.  This will take you through the Delaware Water Gap, which is really nice if you want to take a quick hike and eat some lunch that you brought.

I also think you should consider stopping in Pittsburgh.  Get some well-priced greasy food at Primanti Bros and thank me later.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
There really isn't any good way to get to Pittsburgh off of I-80. They would have to get off at Brookville/Sigel and take 28 down through New Bethlehem into the 'Burgh. That is a twisty, hilly, two-lane road for most of the way…at least until Kittanning, and it will take them an hour. Of course, if they have the time and aren't too tired…and the weather cooperates…it might be OK. There's a lot to do in Pittsburgh. Then they could head out to Cincinnati from there.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 06:13:03 AM »
There really isn't any good way to get to Pittsburgh off of I-80. They would have to get off at Brookville/Sigel and take 28 down through New Bethlehem into the 'Burgh. That is a twisty, hilly, two-lane road for most of the way…at least until Kittanning, and it will take them an hour. Of course, if they have the time and aren't too tired…and the weather cooperates…it might be OK. There's a lot to do in Pittsburgh. Then they could head out to Cincinnati from there.
I would never recommend that route!  To get to Pittsburgh from I-80 I'd take I-79 South.  That road is almost always clear and easy driving, except during rush hour in the morning.

I agree, there is indeed a ton of great things to do in Pittsburgh, plus from there you can get to I-70 and take that across to Cinci.

However, if you aren't looking to go off route by too much, look into state parks along the way.  One of my very favorite parks around here is McConnells Mills (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/mcconnellsmill/).  It's a beautiful little park and if you hit it in good weather there are a ton of hiking paths from beginner up through rock climber.  It's a bit south of your route, but not too much I think.  By that time I expect you'll need a good long leg stretch.

This is also very close to New Castle, which is a poor (but not overly dangerous) area so if you're doing this in 2 days it's probably a good place to find a cheap hotel.

jawnzee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »

I'd recommend the vegan chili three way at Melt over Skyline...

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »
Zaga, when we were in NY with family in Highland Park in the 'Burgh (near the zoo), that was the shortest route and the way we all always went back and forth. Your suggestion may be the better choice for the OP and friends, now that I think about it.

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
We used to drive between CT and OH all the time as kids. One time we stopped at the National Soaring Museum:

http://www.soaringmuseum.org/

$7.50 to get in, but well worth it for a pre-engineer.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »

I'd recommend the vegan chili three way at Melt over Skyline...
That's disgusting.

Go to Skyline, and get 2 cheese coneys, and a 4-way or 5-way.  Yeah it's a lot of food, but do it anyways. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
You may want to take a look at that map again.  Chicago and Gary are nowhere near Cincinnati.  Traveling through them to get to Cincinnati could possibly have your trip planning license revoked as well.

I was making a joke. Not a good one. The joke is that there's really nothing there to see.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the ideas folks. I guess there isn't really a whole lot. I think I'll try to go to a chili place in Cincinnati.

I'm bringing pre-made sandwiches and fruit from the dining hall since I have an over-priced meal plan anyway. I might try to stop at a Chick Fil A or White Castle because we don't have those around here!