Author Topic: Road trip across Canada - best gas rewards?  (Read 1911 times)

CanuckStache

• Stubble
Road trip across Canada - best gas rewards?
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
Hitting the road next week, driving from New Orleans to BC via Ontario - Apart from the drive straight north to the border, the entire trip will be on the Canadian side - meaning stupid high gas prices.

I'll be driving a fully loaded SUV (don't hate..I actually own it outright, and USE it as an SUV). By fully loaded I mean we're moving a bunch of stuff back home so it's overflowing. Bike rack with our bikes, rooftop cargo bag, camping gear, and a bunch of personal items we're bringing back. And a large dog.

We're camping pretty much the entire way, but the main expense we're gonna get killed with is gas. My Nissan Xterra is already a gas hog (though I beat the sticker MPG's since I drive like a granny).

I'm got a  Costco Amex card that should give me 2% back on gas, but any other rewards programs or credit cards I should consider grabbing?

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Road trip across Canada - best gas rewards?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »
Canadian tire gives $0.05/liter in Canadian tire money. Get yourself a new tool with the proceeds or donate the cash (in Canada several charities accept Canadian tire money)
I have 8 Co-op numbers, I get 6-7.5% back on those, the problem is they have small service areas, each city has a different one.
Superstore gives cash back towards groceries. Fill up and buy some vegetables for the drive.
Safeway does the same, it was 0.05/l, my local Safeway was sold so I'm not sure.
Shell gas isn't very good, airmiles only. With coupons it's okay, regularly the airmiles are less then 0.01/L. Same with Esso.

Even though prices are high I'm getting about 7-8% back in cash. 3-4% is a reasonable goal on long trips.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
Re: Road trip across Canada - best gas rewards?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
Not gas, but checkout: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-marketplace/airmnm

There might be some options in there for you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!