Author Topic: Road food suggestions?  (Read 6563 times)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
Road food suggestions?
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:56:43 AM »
Next week I'm going on a holiday! My kids will be elsewhere so my boyfriend and I are going to stay in a fancy hotel by a beautiful lake. There's forest and water and comfy beds and a huge bathtub... I am bringing lots of books and planning on enjoying myself.

THE ISSUE:
The only place to eat is in the fancypants hotel's fancypants restaurant. My bf says "why don't we just eat there all the time?" and I say :/
In the end we compromised on eating dinners at the restaurant, breakfast and lunch on our own.

The hotel room has a little fridge, a coffeemaker, and a microwave. We're set! We will be gone for three nights/ four days. I'm bringing:
-Coffee and fixings, including either an aeropress or a little french press
-Berries, oats and cream
-A container of egg salad sandwich mix and a loaf of bread

I think the lunch options will wear thin by day 3 at the very least. What do you pack for easy/ simple meals on the road?

Lynda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Road food suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:31:17 AM »
Peanut butter, fruit.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »
- Yogurt for sure - and granola.
- You can get the water hot enough in most coffee makers to make instant oatmeal.
- cream cheese travels well and spreads nicely on everything - add jam packets for flavours!
- We pack a snack cooler for the front seat - many granola bars, fresh fruit, drinks, cookies, etc. Nothing gooey (driver distraction) and co-pilot manages at the unwrapping/unpackaging. The cooler always goes into the hotel with us for munching.
- You know the olive bar at the grocery store? I do.
- smoked summer sausage can go for days without refrigeration and makes a good sammich with cheese and lettuce and a dab of mayo. Buy it from the amish in a cloth bag if you can.

Etc.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
Damn.  I thought this was going to be one of those Diners, Drive-ins and Dives type threads.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »
Fruit, PB, yoghurt - check.

At home I often make homemade ramen with miso, noodles, whatever veg & protein is in the fridge. I'd like to do this, but what protein/ veg is soup friendly and travel friendly? i'll sliver some carrots and throw in frozen corn - thawing won't hurt it. But opening a block of tofu for a few cubes seems silly and the yolks in boiled eggs make ramen muddy and unpalatable, imo. What would you bring to add nutritional variety and value to my ramen?

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:29 AM »
MCT Powder ( quest) amazing for coffee and serves as a milk replacement. Works as a meal replacement as well if you are into fasting.
I also recommend powdered peanut butter and protein powder. Can mix well with yogurt or into a thermos.
Tuna pouches and canned sardines can also be clutch but I don't recommend eating with windows up ;)
Bulk nuts/ banana chips are also a fav for road trips as are apples as pears as they can keep well and provide fresh nutrition.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
Fruit, PB, yoghurt - check.

At home I often make homemade ramen with miso, noodles, whatever veg & protein is in the fridge. I'd like to do this, but what protein/ veg is soup friendly and travel friendly? i'll sliver some carrots and throw in frozen corn - thawing won't hurt it. But opening a block of tofu for a few cubes seems silly and the yolks in boiled eggs make ramen muddy and unpalatable, imo. What would you bring to add nutritional variety and value to my ramen?

Celery sticks. You can slice it into the soup or load it with PB (and raisins).
Green onions. Just take 2.

Jerky. Expensive, but little bits of it will rehydrate and add a kick of spice to the soup. (Sodium overload though)
Pepperettes. Cheaper version of jerky.
Visit the deli and get 2 slices of chicken breast/Roast Beef/Ham. Chop fine.

Also, a $20 hotplate from Home Hardware opens up a whole new world on this stuff.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
If the place has a fridge and microwave, why can't you just make up meals (soups/stews) in advance, freeze them, and then microwave them?

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
If the place has a fridge and microwave, why can't you just make up meals (soups/stews) in advance, freeze them, and then microwave them?

My thoughts, too.  We always eat homecooked stuff when we travel, and a fridge and microwave is all you need.

sjlp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
These are great tips! I am always looking for new ideas.

Cheese and charcuterie platter is my favorite hotel room meal. Filling, enough variety to be interesting, and it doesn't feel depressing. Add canned/fresh olives, apple slices, grapes, jam and crackers -- so many options.

Also, you have a microwave, but I just have to share my latest epiphany from a long trip -- I realized I can cook noodles by pouring boiling water into the ice bucket.

Enjoy your vacation.

crispy

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
For our summer road trip, we bought some shelf stable snacks/lunches from GoPicnic.  They were great for days when we were traveling in out of the way places and needed a quick lunch.

Canned soups, bread, sandwich fixings, cheese, crackers, oatmeal packets, fruit, and protein bars are all portable and easy.  We also utilize quick dinners from the grocery store a lot when we are traveling - rotisserie chicken and sides from the deli, pizzas, and salads/subs can usually be found at most grocery stores and they are much cheaper than fast food.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
Having some different side choices will help with just sandwiches, to try and mix things up. Of course chips, carrot sticks, celery or pretzels are good. My husbands favorite is potato salad. We usually just do lunch meat and bread then bring a bunch of snacks to eat with it. Maybe a variety of lunch meats so it's not the same each day. Cheese crackers are great to and I would bring a bag of microwave popcorn to snack on in between meals or late snack at night! We normally will bring the snacks for the ride anyways but once we arrive where we're going, will grocery shop for anything we will need in the time we will be staying for.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
I suggest a little extra effort to make the food fancier so that you maintain that holiday atmosphere. It doesn't have to be expensive, just well presented -- so, the cheese and meat tray with some fancy crackers and a nice bottle of wine, maybe with some good chocolate and fresh fruit for dessert.

I second making stuff up at home and re-heating it in the microwave. What about a nice cheese fondue with fancy stuff for dipping -- veggies and bread and fruit. Again, not expensive, but different.

Get a few slices of deli meat and fancy cheeses and some fancy rolls for the kind of sandwiches you don't normally have. Fresh fruit and nuts travel well, as do veggies and a yogurt-based dip.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
Get a mini grill and do a little park tailgating.
Heck, fix a good steak if you want, or some lobster tails and drinks.   Will be far more economical than a restaurant, and probably more fun.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:36 PM »
One easy thing that we've done on trips is get some packets of prepared Indian food (from Aldi, I think) and a bag of microwavable rice.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 02:59:06 PM »
You can bring frozen pasta with different sauces and just warm it up in the microwave :)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »
Also, you have a microwave, but I just have to share my latest epiphany from a long trip -- I realized I can cook noodles by pouring boiling water into the ice bucket.

Considering the alternate uses ice buckets are put to, I would not be cooking in them.  Even with the plastic liner, the ick factor is pretty high.  It's hard to get past what other fluids/substances have been in there.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
Some of these threads might be helpful:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/cheap-travel-food-hacks/

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/healthy-eating-without-access-to-refrigeration-or-cooking-heat/

When we travel I always take a water filter jug (because I am a fussy princess), a backpack with hydration pack and empty containers inside (for packing daily snacks and pre-made sandwiches), a jar of peanut butter (plus leftover bread, or a packet of corn thins) and some dry snacks like pretzels, popcorn, nuts, dried fruit. I also pack any leftover fruit from home and pick up more fresh along the way. But always, always a jar of peanut butter.

P.S. I love the mini grill idea. Someone was frying sausages in the car park at the snow a few weeks ago and it smelled so good!!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 07:06:18 PM »
You guys are awesome. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Thanks!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
We have a food warmer my wife bought at bed bath and beyond for like $40. Works flawlessly and plugs into a cigarette lighter. We use it all the time when its time to eat and we aren't close to home. My wife and I are both into fitness and honestly the food thing has been a major hurdle in our life regarding doing stuff on the weekends and such. Whatever we did we always had to plan all our meals around it and what not. Now we just bring a lunch box and heat our food up in the car. We just found this thing like 6 months ago. Wish I knew years ago though.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:47 PM »

Considering the alternate uses ice buckets are put to, I would not be cooking in them.  Even with the plastic liner, the ick factor is pretty high.  It's hard to get past what other fluids/substances have been in there.

This. So much this.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 05:44:49 AM »
A buddy and I frequently go on low budget hunting and fishing trips.   We always try to stay in motels with the outside doors you can pull the truck right up to. 
We've got a little one burner LP stove and always pack a little kit with a skillet, a few spices, oil, etc.   Set up the stove on tailgate and do burgers, stir fry, fish, venison, etc. when the weather is nice.

Kansas Terri

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
I like a loaf of good bread, some pre-cooked bacon, and sliced Swiss cheese. Pastrami goes down well also, as does fruit.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 01:59:37 PM »
Rotisserie chickens from the supermarket are our staple. With rice, bread rolls and salad/vegetables in plastic containers.

Otherwise meats such as salami will last all day out of the fridge.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 11:55:45 PM »
The plan: I will plan, shop for, and bring everything for breakfast & lunch, boyfriend will pay for fancypants dinner. We are both happy with this arrangement.
The issues
-There is no grocery store near where we're going. I will bring everything in the car (3 hr drive), store it in the fridge in the hotel. I don't want to bring the instant pot or anything big like that. Just food, plates, cups, etc.
-Boyfriend is a vegetarian
-Boyfriend is suspicious of bread. I can't make it the main starch source more than once.
He is such a weirdo.

so, three breakfasts. I was planning on bringing oats, cream, and berries, plus coffee & fixings. Bam, done! But no. Boyfriend is worried about this being boring and likes eggs for breakfast, at least once on the trip. Is there a way to cook eggs in a microwave that you guys recommend? Google has some ideas but they look sketchy. I'll test some this week, i guess. Microwave eggs here I come!
Eggs, yoghurt, and fruit could be really good.

Three lunches:
1. egg salad sandwiches. I'll pre-prepare the egg salad and bring bread. Veggies on the side. Maybe fancy cheese in the sandwiches?
2. homemade ramen: miso paste, ramen noodles, tofu cubes, veggie bits. Delicious. It's not that filling, though, so I want some sides. Anything that you usually eat with ramen?
3. I ran out of ideas. Other peoples' food preferences are annoying. (mine are charming, obviously)

I'll bring tons of fruit and snack stuff because snacks are my jam.

skinnyindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 06:15:10 AM »
What about tortillas and do wraps with cheese and veggies?  Also pre cook scrambled eggs and reheat in micro.  Pasta pre cooked, add a good jar sauce and top with precooked meatballs for you, cheese topping for him.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 08:06:42 AM »
Wraps are an excellent idea. I can roast marinated tofu and make siracha mayo. You are so smart!